1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

No sad faces as Training Camp ends

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    Thursday, Aug 23, 2007
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com
    Chargers offensive tackle Marcus McNeill came off the practice field Thursday afternoon with pep in his step and a spark in his smile.

“I get to sleep in my own bed tonight,” McNeill said. “I’ve been looking forward to that for a while.”

McNeill and his fellow teammates will check out of their hotel Thursday night and move into their regular-season routine as training camp officially came to a close following their afternoon practice.

“I feel good about what we’ve gotten done,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “I liked the way our guys approached it from the beginning of March and all through our offseason program. I believe we’ve gotten done what we needed to get done in training camp. I’ve just enjoyed being around and getting started with these guys. The work ethic and the attitude have been outstanding. ”

Chargers players seemed to agree with Turner and complimented their head coach on the way he ran his first camp at the helm.

“It was a physical camp,” McNeill said. “Our coaches pushed us and made us work but they also gave us a schedule that allowed us to get the rest we needed. You’re always going to feel beat up at the end of camp no matter how things are done, but we got through it and we’re still hungry to keep working.”

“It was smooth,” said wide receiver Vincent Jackson. “We didn’t have too many issues. We grew. We’re going to be ready when the season comes.”

With a coaching staff featuring several new faces, training camp gave the players a strong feel for working with the new group and understanding what was being asked of them.

“While the systems are the same, there were new people involved,” fullback Lorenzo Neal said. “We learned to work with each other. We worked well and got better. There’s still some work to do, but it was a solid camp.”

The players also benefited from constant competition due to a roster deep in talent. That gave the players an added sense of accountability and they believe it helped them improve day to day.

“I’ve always been the guy that’s pushing, trying to work my way through,” safety Clinton Hart said. “This year I was pushed. Guys like Eric Weddle and Bhawoh Jue, we made each other work that much harder every day. There are a lot of young players that are going to help this team. I believe they already have with the way they pushed us through camp.”

Injury update

For the second-consecutive day, Turner reported no new injuries. Those missing Thursday’s practice included defensive end Igor Olshansky (groin), linebacker Anthony Waters (knee), defensive tackle Brandon McKinney (ankle), linebacker Matt Wilhelm (calf) and guard Erik Robertson (ankle).

Linebacker Marques Harris (shoulder) worked Thursday but missed some time earlier this week. Turner said that he may not play much Saturday against the Cardinals.

Big chance

On Tuesday, teams have to trim their rosters to 75 players. The Chargers are currently carrying 87, which means Saturday could be critical to the futures of several players looking to earn a roster spot.

Turner said earlier this week that his starters will play into the third quarter. That means many of the young guys may not get a lot of time to make another impression, but Turner said that his opinion is generally based on more than a quarter of a preseason game.

“The number of opportunities will be limited, but they will get playing time in the second half,” Turner said. “I don’t put a major emphasis on one play, one quarter. We’ve gotten to see these guys for a long time. There are a lot of guys who are going to get to play a lot of football in the last preseason game. There are things that a guy can do to catch your eye and there are things a guy can do to make you say, ‘Maybe he’s not ready.’ We’ve had a great look at these guys to this point.”
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Aug 15, 2006
    you might wanna edit that just because you've got the same story in their twice.

thx for posting
  3. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Jun 27, 2006
  4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2005

:icon_huh: :icon_huh: :icon_huh:

r we losing you????

:icon_shrug: :icon_shrug: :icon_shrug:
  5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker