1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

No They DITNT!! CHI ignores 35yd rule

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ThunderHorse17, Aug 14, 2011.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...e-new-kickoff-rule?module=HP11_headline_stack

As if to reiterate their presumed opposition to the new kickoff placement rule, the Chicago Bears defied it twice in the first half of Saturday's preseason victory over Buffalo.
    The Bears lined up Robbie Gould's first and second kickoffs at the 30 instead of the 35, as called for in the new rule. When told of the kickoffs, Carl Johnson, the NFL's vice president of officiating, called Soldier Field and ordered officials to "put a stop to it," according to Fox Sports.

As it turns out, the Bears were more interested in practicing kickoff coverage than defying the new rule. The team reportedly told the officiating crew beforehand that they would kick off from the 30 at some point.
    "Robbie Gould ... we can put it on the 35 and he can kick it out each time," coach Lovie Smith told the Chicago Sun-Times. "We’re not really getting a good evaluation of what we can do coverage-wise on some of our players. That’s what we were trying to do with it."
    The Bears are believed to be one of six teams that voted against the rule change at the owners meetings in March. The league hopes the change improves safety.

2. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Kick offs are pointless now but is only going to help the Chargers, lol. Damn you Seattle!!!

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    5 yards makes a difference? Child... Please!

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Add 5 yds of avg distance to every kicker in the game?? And now a strong legged kicker that were far and few between have lost their edge. Now they have to ease up on their kicks. It doesnt make much difference to the pace of the game.

I just find it funny to hear a Team was violating NFL rules. Yea players I get, but ur coach told u to go out there and break a rule? AND why were they breaking that rule? SO they could get a better feel for their game lol. How is that not like CHEATING??

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    No my point is Lovey tried to make the excuse that they needed five more yards to keep the kicker from kicking it out.

6. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    What is more disconcerting to me is not that a team was violating the rule but the officials on the field allowed this to happen.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    then I guess next time just send out 10 guys have them all offside’s, then take the 5 yard penalty then send in the real kick off team