1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nobody respects our defense anymore.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Sep 14, 2008.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Sad but true.

Think Shanahan would have gone for a 2 point conversion in that situation against any other defense?

2. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    People know they can gain upwards of five or six if you attack the soft underbelly of the Charger defense... i.e. the ILBs.

In the red zone, it's almost money.

It's a problem, no doubt. We need better athletes at that position. Losing Cooper is hurting us more than anything else, including losing Merriman, IMHO.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Hell right now I DO NOT RESPECT OUR D!!!!

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Rams? Lions? :icon_shrug:

Not that it makes me feel any better :no:

I'd like to think that they where afraid of our offense

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

OK. Let me rephrase that...

Against and (supposidly) respected defense?

6. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Jyles had 1 tackle. Philips had 1 tackle. Castillo had 1 tackle. Williams had 1 tackle. Olshansky had 0 tackles. Jammer by himself had 9. Thats how bad we are up front. Cotrell is Tom Bass reincarnated.

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    ooohhhh, ok, in that case...NO :no:

the defense sucks, Jamal is not the same guy and he might never get get to his old self, there are no replacements for him, the ILB are a joke, hopefully Cooper will make a difference, the best ILB today was Dobbins, Cro is getting to full of himself and the safeties are no where to be seen

8. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Forget about moving Jammer to Safety maybe we should move him to ILB he's the only guy who can tackle.

Seriously though the Broncos couldn't stop us all game so why risk losing the toss and having to stop us. It was a risky shot but **** he just hit the lottery with a call before he had luck on his side.

9. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Why would they respect it? They are sucking right now... Line up for blowjubs guys!

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Your lips are not too chapped at the moment? :icon_huh:

11. RAIDOOORS!...suck

RAIDOOORS!...suck Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5
    there is no more pass rush, they look like crap. offense needs to score every time they get the ball.

12. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Your shorts are so short your weiner hangs out :lol::icon_rofl:

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +504
    Yes... he went for the 2 pt conversion because he knew he could convert it against this D.

Conversely he also knew if the Chargers won the toss in OT Broncos lose.

I said it in the game thread (I replayed play after play on D), cut Wilhelm (another Olivea although #57 was never any good in the first place). I now totally understand why we are not bothering to re-sign Igor. For a 'big strong man' he sure does not pull his weight/make too much effort. And while I am not gonna write him off just yet, Luis better start showing us something for the $$$.

I hate to say it but it looks like Jamal's day is done. Time for McKinney, heck even Grennan might be an option.

OK so let's say we cut Wilhelm, u ask who do we put in there?. Here's the answer, anyone. Wilhelm does not want to tackle nor get dirty, watch the replays and watch how he apparently runs himself out of every play so he does not have to get dirty. Anyone and I mean anyone will be better, because Wilhelm is NO pass coverage LB neither. He's a pretty boy who cannot play.

When we get Coop back Smith is gone too. Give Dobbins or Siler a run puhleeeze. And bring in Waters from the inactives and let the guy go hit someone. At the very least a big hit might fire up the rest of em.

Having said all that if we make the necessary changes to the D and take a long hard look at rushing 4 max maybe just maybe we have a chance. :icon_toast:

14. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    You know for a team that has some much ****ing talent (at least that's what I've heard throughout the off season) we sure are ****** on defense.

15. slick

slick BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I think it was more an indictment of his defense. Shanahan knew we couldn't stop the Chargers. Hell you were still one play away from a game winning field goal anyways.

Had we tied the game, played for overtime, and San Diego wins the toss. Game over.

We had a horseshoe up our ***. We know it.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    The cancer killing our team:
    [​IMG]

17. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...This right here is WHY Shanarat went for the two. I'd add the fact that he KNEW the D HAD to be reeling after that referee screw-up!

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Makes your lips smack, does it?

19. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Took the words right off my keyboard.

20. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    The Broncos ran about 6 times and passed about 50 times yesterday.

Every defender was at least 5 yards off the ball at all times.

When they were near the ball, they overpursued. When they didn't overpursue, they missed tackles.

When we would stop them short or Cutler would throw an incomplete, we'd bail them out with some form of idiot penalty.

Defense wet the bed. 2 weeks in a row. **** is weak.

21. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    For a defense that led the NFL in takeaways, and INT's, it definitely looks as if nobody respects us in the secondary.

The defense should NOT have let Carolina, and Denver march down the field on those last 2 drives in the final minute. We should have slammed the door on them right then and there!!! :icon_evil::icon_evil:

22. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    It was certainly a psych advantage for Denver on their home turf... perhaps not too bad of a move by Shan. Even with the limited time remaining on the clock he probably felt Rivers would have gotten the Bolts in field goal range anyhow, eventually - even in OT.

28 December: revenge is best served ice cold? Let's hope Ed will not be part of the officiating crew thay day.