1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

nobody's talking about Louis Vasquez?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by mandude, Apr 26, 2009.

1. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    Seems like a great pick up. He's big, he has good feet and the summary on SI sounds good:

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded all-Conference honors since his sophomore campaign.

POSITIVES: Mammoth blocker with a good amount of upside potential. Quickly gets off the line, keeps his feet moving, and turns defenders from the action. Blocks with good lean, stout at the point, and anchors in pass protection. Quickly gets his hands up, fights throughout the action, and works to annihilate defenders. Displays good blocking vision, and works well with teammates.

NEGATIVES: Not a natural knee Bender. Marginal skills blocking in motion.

ANALYSIS: Vasquez is a powerful wide-bodied blocker with the ability to play in a number of systems at the next level. He has next-level size, and once Vasquez gets acclimated to playing in an NFL offense, he should quickly find a spot with the first team.

PROJECTION: Second/Third Round

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Louis Vasquez ESPN Insider Scouting Report

Production 2 Vasquez appears in five games as a true freshman during the 2005 season. He makes 23 consecutive starts during the 2006 and 2007 season. Vasquez appears and starts in 10 out 12 games during his senior campaign in 2008. Earns All-Big 12 honorable mention during the 2006 season. Vasquez earns a first team All-Big 12 selection during his junior season and second team All-Big 12 honors this past fall.

Height-Weight-Speed 3 Possesses good height and excellent bulk for the position but marginal top-end speed.

Durability 3 Slight durability concern after missing the Nevada and UMass contests this past fall due to a sprained left ankle.

Character 2 Majoring in general studies. Also no off-the-field issues we are currently aware of.

Strength/Toughness 1 Mean and relentless. Outstanding upper body strength and flashes the ability to knock defenders off balance with punch.

Agility 3 Doesn't show great body control, appears stiff and takes too long to change directions when gets into space. Adequate lateral mobility.

Awareness 2 Keeps head up and does a good job of recognizing blitzes. Flashes good patience when no one comes to him and difficult to beat when doesn't over commit with first step. Vocal at the line and appears to communicate with tackle and center well.
    Pass Protection 2 Gets excellent hand placement and rarely loses a battle once locked on. Plays with a wide base and though could sink hips a little more rarely gives ground to bull rushers. Makes up for lack of ideal foot speed with balance and sound footwork. Ducks head on occasion (see first quarter of the 208 Oklahoma State game) and vulnerable to push/pull moves when does.
    Run Blocking 3 Gets into sound position and flashes the ability to drive defenders but primarily lined up in two-point stance at Texas Tech and tends to stand up coming out of stance when puts hand on the ground. (see first quarter of 2008 Oklahoma State game) Though lacks elite range and going to have problems getting around the corner if asked to pull does a good job of opening hips and quick enough to get around center when asked to trap. Takes adequate angles to downfield blocks and can cut off linebackers but has problems adjusting to moving targets in space.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I think people are generally happy with Vasquez which is why no one said anything. Since this whole draft minus Byrd/Ellison has been one big ***** fest to most people, that nothing is being said is a damn good thing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Nobody is talking about him because he can not play TACKLE. :lol:

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I watched Texas Tech play most every Saturday. I don't know Louis Vasquez any better than anyone else does, but Tech passes 40-50 times a game, and that O-line, as a unit, didn't give up a whole lotta sacks, sooooooo...

6. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    The word is that he'll immediately start competing with Forney at right guard. He may not win the job outright, but it will be good to have competition, and more depth than we had last year.

7. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Vasquez was money this past season. He was a spot-on sure blocker pretty much the whole time. I liked watching Texas Tech cause they could always score. They could always score because people like Vasquez, especially Vasquez, were manning the trench. No one got to Harell. He may start for The Chargers.

8. mizzouchargerfan

mizzouchargerfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Believe it or not in my own mock I had the Bolts taking him with that 113 pick, but they moved a bit sooner, maybe he will turn out to be a sane Toniu Fonoti:tup:

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Did Tech play Mizzou this past season?? If they did, I don't recall the game.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Vasquez is a better pass blocker then Fonoti and doesn't have a weight or conditioning problem like fonoti does

11. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Vasquez was a pro day superstar at Tech last year, so I've heard. When he did go into the draft it was rather a sneaky move because that entire Oline was money most of the season. No one individual really stood out. He'll be great for the Chargers and should start in September.

12. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    He's the second highest pick that AJ has ever used on an Offensive lineman, so I expect him to take over that RG spot in preseason. We'll see if he adapts well to a pro style offense, after playing for the gimmick offense in Texas Tech. He did play great in the East-West Shrine game, so I'm optimistic that he'll adapt quite nicely.

13. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I think he might even be better suited for the NFL system.

He doesn't get much of a chance to shine at TT. However, he is bigger and stronger than most guys. He can overpower them and has showed he is an aggressive linemen. He keeps up and doesn't stop. I like how he, and the TT system, attacks more than defends.

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Vasquez plays with attitude, he is big and strong and he can move the pile. Whether he starts or not depend solely on how fast he picks up the blocking schemes and learns to recognize a blitz. The drills, the weight room and coaching will teach him to bend his knees a bit more. I think he will prove his worth in dealing with some of the nose tackles. He's the beef I've been harping on. The proof of the pudding will be near the goal line. I don't care if he floats like a butterfly as long as he stings like a bee-to coin a phrase.

• Like Like x 1