1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,533
    Sometimes, Jack....... you're full of :poop:.

Not everything Acee writes is a "fluff" piece, or some cheerleading crap. Sometimes, he's just commenting on what he knows about the goings on in Chargers park. The comments about Jimmy Raye were of that type. It wasn't even a piece about Raye, but a comment in a larger piece about the front office.

At least Acee has some access to allow him to hear what Raye's actual job responsibilities are...... that's a damn sight more than either you, or I, would know. The fact that Raye interviewed for the Bears GM spot last year shows that he's well regarded in the league.

What any of this has to do with drug use by athletes is beyond me. You do go off on some ridiculous tangents, you shriveled old fossil. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,533
    Would it matter if he came back....... or even Vincent Jackson at this point? ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,533
    Report: Spanos will fire both Smith and Turner
    Posted by Darin Gantt on December 6, 2012, 5:34 PM EST
    For months, if not years, it seemed like the A.J. Smith/Norv Turner situation was an either/or for the Chargers.
    It appears it’s going to be both.
    According to Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego, the decision has already been made by Chargers owner Dean Spanos to fire both his general manager and head coach.
    Sources told Acee that Spanos decided on Turner’s fate “at least a month ago,” but has only recently “resigned himself to the fact that Smith can’t be kept in the current environment of plummeting performance and fan unrest.”
    The fact he hasn’t done so yet is more of a preference to wait until the end of the season rather than an acknowledgement the Chargers still have a chance.
    Acee reports that director of player personnel Jimmy Raye is the apparent replacement for Smith, while Turner’s replacement isn’t known yet.
    The Chargers will owe Smith $4 million for his remaining two years and Turner $3 million for the final year of his contract.
    Smith joined the team in 2002, Turner in 2007.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,533
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    Darrell Stuckey (hamstring) returned to practice today and was full participant. Otherwise, no changes from Wednesday's injury report.

6. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Ah yes, and the "story" gets repeated.

I guess the U-T ticked off Dean enough to release this statement:

“There is only one person in this organization who will make those decisions and that’s me, and I haven’t shared my thoughts with anyone. I will make my evaluations at the end of the season. Anything coming out now – from sources or otherwise – is pure speculation.”

Acehole and the rest with their "sources said" crap are, in other words, liars from their birth. :D:p:tdown::cool:

7. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +426
    They did a report on NFL Network with that statement a bit ago!

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,533
    The classic non-denial denial.

Dean never said that they won't both get fired, or Jimmy Raye won't get hired as GM. As for "not sharing his thoughts with anyone"...... I call BS. I'm sure his sons, at least, know full well what he's thinking.

9. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Never have enjoyed the "waiting for the next shoe to fall" crappola - normally can't stay interested long enough to worry about it. ;)

Sheesh, remember all of the speculation and he said/she said when they went through the post-Marty interview process - only to have it turn out to be Norv Turner? <spit>

I'll just wait and see how it all turns out - slowly but surely getting disconnected until the East/West Shrine game and Senior Bowl. :rolleyes:

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,533
    Deano just has to tell little John to zip it in the future. ;)

11. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    There went his seat at the "big peoples" dinner table eh?

OBTW, Mortensen and others were also quoting un-named "sources" before Acehole, so Pumpy is right about that part - doesn't change Deano calling them all a pack of liars because *he* hasn't told *anybody*.

Bridge for sale! Big old bridge for sale! CHEAP! :cool:

This won't hurt.
    I won't ___ in your mouth.
    The check is in the mail.
    I'm not moving the team.
    I ain't told nobody yet.
    :sleep::sleep::sleep::whistling::sleep::sleep::sleep:

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,533
    Spanos denies report that Smith and Turner will be fired*
    Posted by Mike Florio on December 6, 2012, 7:04 PM EST
    In response to the report from Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego that Chargers coach Norv Turner and G.M. A.J. Smith will get the boot, the man who would do the booting says the boot has not yet been broken out.
    The Chargers have issued a statement from owner Dean Spanos denying the report.
    “There is only one person in this organization who will make those decisions and that’s me, and I haven’t shared my thoughts with anyone,” Spanos says. “I will make my evaluations at the end of the season. Anything coming out now — from sources or otherwise — is pure speculation.”
    In response to the response to his report, Acee has expressed skepticism, Twitter style: “Do I really need to say don’t put much stock in Dean Spanos’ statement about no decisions having been made/him not sharing his thoughts?”
    No, you don’t. Smith already has made it clear that, if the team doesn’t make it to the playoffs, it will be time for a “new era in Chargers football.” Spanos said nothing at the time to correct the record. It’s now too late to put the termination notices back in the tube.

*Actually, no he didn't deny Smith and Turner would be fired.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,533
    Kevin and Nick are doing their best to suggest that Raye would make different draft decisions than AJ.......

Spanos will be taking a risk here -- especially firing Smith -- but it’s going to be one very popular risk. It could be lessened if, as expected, current Director of Player Personnel Jimmy Raye takes over for Smith. It certainly would make the transition smoother.

The only question in this regard is how long the capable Raye will serve as GM. It was widely believed that, when Smith’s contract expired following the 2014 season, Dean’s son John, currently the team’s director of college scouting, would take over football operations. John has worked long hours learning the trade.

It's been said Raye and Smith often have had their differences in regard to personnel, but this is nothing new in the NFL, nor is it novel here. Smith came to San Diego from Buffalo as assistant to late G.M. John Butler in 2001. Butler was Smith’s great friend, but Smith has told me on more than one occasion there were times their disagreements would be so strong they wouldn’t speak to one another for days.

14. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028

(My answer to their unanswered questions about "why not now" - its the Christmas season)...

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,533
    Getting fired doesn't hurt so much when you're still going to get paid the rest of your contract....... #imjustsaying ;)

16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    It'd be wise to axe AJ now. Let next GM grab the reins asap to prepare for draft.
    Whether Norv gets fired now or after season doesn't matter except to make fans happy. They still won't buy tickets though.

17. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    ...and there ya go. Never worked under a "guaranteed contract" after I retired from the Navy - later on never offered one either. ;)

18. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +663
    The operative word in your statement is "wise". Whatever the logic as far as the Deaner is concerned about keeping AJ till the season's end, clearly contradicts with your choice word. Maybe there's something in AJ's contact which makes that move prohibitively unwi$e ;)

19. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Doubt it, they've gotta pay him for 2 more years anyway.
    As far as Deaner being logical...
    :confused:

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
  21. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +663
    Furthermore, if the FO (John Spanos ;) ) has decided to go for a higher position at the expense of less W's, it was not such a bad thing to stir up some sheet as this instability will ensure more L's added to our already illustrious season.

Now we know that the Spanos's are tight wads so unless there's a coveted player projected in the top spots to pick, where they are heading toward, it will not be a terrible thing (ala Billie The Hoodie) to trade down for extra 1st & 2nd round picks since this team is in such dire need of so many neglected/unpanned key positions.

One thing which concerns me about Jimmy Raye is that since it is a FO continuity sorta afair, we will not land a big name HC. If so, I think that JR and the loyal cabal at the the Chargers FO will be HC hunting at the college ranks or some coordinator level coach.

Then again according to Blew Balls (via a vis Anderson Acee) JR has quite a flair for picking diamonds in the rough. If nothing else, this offseason will be a very interesting offseason whilst Blew Balls battles the Sydneyderella from down under :roflmao:

22. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +663
    I know that but perhaps some clause that AJ could not be fired midseason. After all, John Wayne never died in the middle of any movie and if his character died at all, it was only at the end ;)

23. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Possibly in there. If so, Deaner logic is rife. Hard to imagine even Dean would accept that kind of clause.
    But he WAS in love with AJ...

24. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +663
    I believe you just may have insinuated that he (The Dean) was a power bottom? :roflmao:

25. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Think whatever you like BLEW, of little consequence to me, my skin is thick enough to have taken all the crap, you and many many others have dealt over the years, no backward steps here Brudder.

By the way, how much of that crap that I'm full of, has reached fruition by the way, compared with statements made by others to the cpmplete opposite opinion ???

Yeah, just as I thought ..... ;)

- Said Marty would NEVER win a Superbowl..... Check
    - Hated the appointment of Turner, had never shown any ability to succeed as a HC and never will ...... Check
    - made the comment and was universally derided at the time that Merriman was FINISHED as far back as 07 ....... Check
    - said LT was DONE after 3 games into the 08 season after injuring his knee in the 07 playoffs, again, was told bullshit ........ Check.
    - Commented that ScareCro a pussy and oxygen thief well before anyone here was willing to agree ......Check
    - questioned every one of AJs #1 picks at the time, all I ever heard from most was ...... "Give them time Jack"...... Yeah right, how'd that turn out in hindsight ? ........check

So many others I've lost count, be it a call on anyone from Hester to Clary to Marshmellow Man or AJ's ridiculous contract extensions to absolute bums, to retaining a bunch of hack medics and conditioning staff year after year, that could treat a broken fingernail properly, let alone "real football injuries"........ all were proven beyond doubt a few to many years after-the-fact and have lead us to where we sit today.

Call me full of shite all you like mate, but you know as well as I do, I haven't got to many things wrong over the years and I really couldn't give a rats toss bag if peeps get offended at my opinions, no ones asking you to agree or like them, but you can at least Man-up to the fact that they have eventuated, far moreso than not over the past 7 years, whether you care to acknowledge it is entirely up to you mate.

And unlike many in the past and nowadays, you'll very rarely see me sit on the fence over any issue, again unlike many who would rather take the easy approach of ......"oh, let's just wait and see" approach.......

It's that exact type of thinking by a pissweak, spineless ownership that has put this team in the position it is currently and will continue too until the day they finally relinquish those ownership rights, so I wouldn't be holding my breath hoping for any quick turn-arounds in the near future, because it simply isn't going to happen ......Spanos has assured us of that.

You can remember this post if you like and we can discuss it at length in 5 years from now and see how far off the mark I am as far as Spanos goes mate..... ;)

OK, now for my "actual take" on the "other news of the day"

P.s......your NOT gonna like it either, so maybe it's time for that "ignore button" to get some use mate ??? :)

26. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    You've come around nicely of late Dave, now you're getting it ...welcome to the club.

27. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    So can someone tell me why I feel absolutely NO JOY whatsoever in reading this story today ?????

If you'd have asked me 2 years ago what this sort of headline would have meant, I'd be jumping around like a spastic on speed.....

But alas, the hole is soooooooooo much deeper because of those 2 years, that today's (presumed) firings, rate nothing more than a passing ..."Meh" from me I'm afraid.

Damage is wayyyyyyyyy past DONE and the talent pool has dried up to nothing but a trickle, if that these days.

Fillup ? .....can't ever see him returning to the form of 2010 and earIier, looks a mere shadow of the player I once knew, in both physical and mental capabilities........such a shame, was a very very special talent too and I so did enjoy wathing him play this game.

Gatesy ? .... Heart as big as the Murph, wouldn't know how not to give it his all........but his days are numbered (well, in San Diego at least) ........is he capable of doing a Tony Gonzales and reinventing himself at another club ? ....... For his sake, would love to see it, players of his talent come along only a few times in a lifetime and I'd be more than happy to watch him still light up Defenses around the NFL.

As for anyone else on this team !!!!! ........MEH !!!!!........what's the word ? .....oh yeah, MEDIOCRE, just how Spanos likes them.

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,533
    I said you were "sometimes" full of :poop:....... not all the time.

Surely, even you, can agree on that point. ;)

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,533
    Darren McFadden re-injures ankle in loss to Broncos

Mathews has some competition in the division at last. ;)

30. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089