1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Not to take anything away from Alexander...he's done a great job here, so far...
    but Alworth did it in a 14 game season, averaging an astounding 23.2 yards per catch!

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,505
    Defenders were :poop: back in those days. ;)

3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Defenders could rip your arm off and beat your head with it (with nary a penalty), back in those days.

(Fred 'The Hammer' Williamson forearms to the head were legal then...and Alworth faced him twice a season)

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    Martin, Stuckey to IR; Guyton and Brinkley Signed

The Chargers announced a number of moves today, placing Vaughn Martin and Darrell Stuckey on IR, signing linebacker Gary Guyton and re-signing running back Curtis Brinkley. The team also re-signed Logan Harrell to the practice squad while waiving wide receiver Kashif Moore.

Martin suffered a right groin injury during pregame of Sunday’s match against the Pittsburgh Steelers. The 6-foot-4, 308-pound defensive end is in his fourth season with the Chargers and recorded 27 tackles and one sack prior to getting hurt.

Stuckey, the team’s special teams captain, injured his right hamstring in Pittsburgh just a couple weeks after injuring his left one. The 5-foot-11, 208-pound safety finishes his third year in the league with 10 tackles, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

Guyton is a 6-foot-3, 245-pound linebacker who spent the first four years of his career with the New England Patriots. From 2008-2011, he amassed 229 tackles, five sacks, three fumble recoveries and three interceptions. Coming out of Georgia Tech, Guyton had the fastest 40-yard dash time by a linebacker at the scouting combine.

Brinkley returns to the Bolts after being released on Nov.28 to make room for Micheal Spurlock. Prior to his departure, Brinkley played in seven games, rushing 29 times for 60 yards along with nine catches for 63 yards. In his fourth season in San Diego, he was also inactive for three games.

Harrell, meanwhile, is a 6-foot-2, 280-pound rookie defensive end out of Fresno State who returns for his third stint this season on the practice squad. He replaces Moore, who joined the team on Oct. 22.

6. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Well that's entirely subjective, depending upon your view now Ringo .........

Are you a Homer-phobic or a NN'er this week ????

7. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089

I believe you meant to say ....

"YEP, that's exactly how I grabbed Jacks beanbag at the tailgate that day" .......

One of his most glorious achievements I do believe.

8. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    are you 100% sure about that ???? :)

9. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    That is quite the "slap in the face" to compare Alexander to Bambi in any way, shape or form if you ask me.

Must have bee a very slow news day to have come up with that piece of "fluff"

Yes Blew, that's what I consider as a total FLUFF piece !!!! ;)

10. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089

Damn it ...... I told them someone needed to help Martin tie his laces before the game ........ Now look what happens, groin strain from bending to far.

11. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +421
    No that was your little finger!

Sent from my Mobile Zin finder!

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    Are you suggesting there are issues with our training staff??? :eek:

13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Not sure either gentleman fits in either of those categories ;)

14. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    You both back Mathews and AJ, so you've got some common ground to build on. By this time next year, you two could be best buds who tag-team anyone daring to trash whoever our coach will be ;)

15. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Yep ...... They obviously need more training in the field of "boot lace tying", as this is another area they seem to be lacking in.

16. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    There are MORE pigeon-holes than those two you mean (other than the RR'ers ofcourse) ???????

Well blow me down with a wad shot !!!!

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    This ain't the 40's, you old fossil.......... players don't wear "boots" in this era. :laugh:

18. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Now there's a team that could well rival "The Bushwackers" if they really put their combined skeeeels together and work hard enough.

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Ha-ha! Yeah, there's a pairing that'll never happen! No idea about the next coach...
    I opposed Norv, strongly, at first...but, as time went on I kinda saw him as an unlucky scapegoat.
    Don't get me wrong, I didn't agree with everything he did (but I have criticisms of Belichick & Harbaugh, too)
    but I think Norv just became a whipping boy. I've heard lots this year about how horrible NT is,
    but precious few rational explanations re. how anything Norv actually did (or didn't do) resulted
    in the team blowing so many half-time leads...something they didn't do under Norv in the past.
    I think people are just frustrated, and attacking the head coach (san specifics that withstand any scrutiny)
    will mostly go unchallenged. Would I trade Norv for Cowher? Yeah. Would I axe him just to say I did,
    (or 'cause I was cranky) with no promise of a better coach? Uh... Anyway, it's almost certainly a done deal,
    so, as a fan, I can only sit back and hope they don't bring in a popular bum like Gruden, whose final 6 years
    were a clinic on how to take a team from #1, to sub .500. No, I won't trash ANY coach hard
    his first year...but I likely won't be happy with the usual setbacks of a new scheme,
    if I don't see the coach as a clear improvement.

20. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +634
    I moved :roflmao:

P.S. Considering to change my phone #, email address and even my name if need be :D

21. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +634
    Lance, a lot of verbal Jiu Jistu in there, so let me summarize what most of us had known for years: Norf Turner NEVER was, is and will be a top notch HC with an independent mind and an authoritative attitude, in the NFL. His fault has always been that he is a very "nice" man who supplicates to tyrannical owners & GM's: Snyder, Davis and Smith.

P.S. I'm not sold on Gruden either but whether an unpopular bum or a popular bum who takes a top team to sub 0.500, what's the difference?!

22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    First, I've always said that I thought Norv was probably a pretty mediocre HC...I have no idea where the
    "top notch HC" thing came from...I've never heard ANYONE say that, ever. Of course, it's also true
    that I couldn't point to 5 bona fide, indisputable "top notch HCs" in the league right now.
    No, the argument has usually been that Norv is a horrible HC...and while I've heard it 1,000 times,
    I can't seem to get anyone to make an intelligent argument to support that.
    Like you, I've also heard the "nice" argument for years...but no one ever explains the theory re. how that's
    supposed to really be working. Ask, and you usually just get thrown an additional assorted recycled meme.
    I'm also on record as having said that I think 90% of fans misunderstand (over-estimate)
    the impact of a head coach.
    Bill Walsh was an (2-14) idiot with Steve DeBerg at QB...with Joe Montana (and Jerry Rice) he was a "genius."

23. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +634
    You need not look for in depth lucid arguments to validate or invalidate Norf's HC'ing prowess/inabilities, or any other NFL HC for that matter. All that counts at the end of the day, is the end result. I'm a big fan of Occam's Razor, when excessive words tend to cloud and clutter the argument ;)

24. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    So, you're saying that the argument begins and ends at Norv's 57-42 (nearly best ever) Charger record,
    and Occam won't allow you to consider any clouding or cluttering of that fact? Interesting.

(or would this be a good time for some obfuscation?)

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    I think he meant that he finds arguing with you to be tiresome...... though, I don't want to mischaracterize what he meant. I might be wrong with my assumption. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Wow! :eek: Nice to see you again, too, Blue.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    Hey, when people start mentioning brevity, that's usually a hint that you're being a tad longwinded. ;)

28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Well, since I was being schooled on how well known it was that Norv sucked,
    it seemed like a timely occasion to mention that a "lucid" (in his words)
    explanation would be really, really welcome (not to mention long overdue).
    If that sort of thing is frowned upon here, I can stick to regurgitating the memes! :)

"NORV SUCKS!! IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO OBVIOUS ("self-evident" ?), DUMMIES!!!" :tup:

29. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +634
    You are rather cute, so I encourage you to look up Norf's W-L as HC of both Skins & Raiders. To be fair, I did mention Norf's tenure as HC of the other teams too. Further for the sake of simplicity, just look up his record in the last two seasons, plus the current season which the Chargers have not and will not make the POs. This whole story which AJ Smith was selling to the media/fans ever since 2006, stating that everyone is a Charger for one season at a time, plus the objective is to get into the POs by any means necessary, turned out to be pure crock of sheet.

As for your precious 57-42 argument, also consider the fact that the AFCW has been and still is one of the most pathetic divi's in Football. What part of that 57-42 is against teams with winning records? If any of the other divi rivals (up to last season) had a QB worth a lick, you wouldn't be flashing your beloved ace-up-your-sleeve, "Norf's Chargers record"!

Lastly as a reminder, you and I got into a discussion about my ripping of Rygina at the beginning of the season. How's that working out for you now? ;)

30. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    If you're asking if I still expect Mathews to excel in this league, the answer is yes. Absolutely.
    He's too fast, too quick and runs too hard to not succeed as soon as there are actually holes to hit.

As far as your lengthy, complicated, now decidedly anti-Occam response to Norv's actual Charger record,
    you've made my point for me. It isn't really about his results like you first said...that's why you're
    dragging up a bad team on the East Coast 18 years ago and your personal interpretations of what
    Smith may've meant when he cryptically said about someone being a Charger a year at a time. I remember
    Occam's Razor pretty well...but not the part about cherry picking stats that suggest that a Charger
    coach is horrible, and excluding those that say he isn't. There's nothing wrong with jumping to emotional
    conclusions, and then trying to defend them by bending the data. But my initial request was for a rational
    explanation of how Norv deserves the blame for the team's many recent failures. 57-42.

(it's almost as if I could predict the switch from Occam simplicity to 'perceived strength of the AFC West' obfuscation...) ;)