1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,136
    *covers eyes and slowly backs out of the room*

2. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +406
    Conc, Its OK .......

Jackie and I we are not shy! :whistling::D:sneaky:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +1,007
    While backing out of the room seems very much in order, I'd recommend keeping those orbs OPEN in case either of those sneaky bastages might be looking for a target of opportunity. :cautious:

4. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,016
    Jimmy Raye, Jimmy Raye, where art thou Jimmy Raye ????:cautious:

5. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,016
    Well that was quite a weekend of Football, now back to the real world for a few days.

Still trying to get my head around that Falcons/Seahawks barnburner.

That was something special.

6. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,007
    Enjoyed that one about as well as any playoff game sans Lightning bolts that I've watched Jack - but like you and Blew, I figure there is no way in hell the 9ers will spot the Falcons 20 points in the 1st half. Gotta go with the 9ers next. Kinda hard not to predict a 9ers/Pats SB as much as I'd love to see Ray wind it all up in the big dance. (I'm not going to be disappointed no matter WHO goes this year though - no dog in the fight).

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,136
    oh.... :eek:

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,287
    A couple of chubby chasers. :laugh:

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,287
    Chargers coach search on the offensive

A defensive coach the first day.
    A defensive coach the second.
    It may not have begun this way, but the search for the next Chargers head coach is clearly on the offensive now.
    Ken Whisenhunt and Jay Gruden interviewed over the weekend, and general manager Tom Telesco is scheduled to meet Monday with Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy. Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians comes to town Wednesday.
    Of the six known candidates on San Diego’s head coach radar, only Seahawks coordinator Gus Bradley, 46, and former Bears coach Lovie Smith, 54, have defensive backgrounds.
    They interviewed Thursday and Friday, respectively.
    Whisenhunt, 50, visited Chargers Park on Saturday. He was the Steelers’ offensive coordinator from 2004 to 2006 before head coaching the Cardinals the past six seasons.
    Gruden came Sunday.
    The 45-year-old has been the Bengals offensive coordinator since 2011 and is the younger brother of Jon Gruden, ESPN broadcaster and former NFL coach. Jay Gruden drew head coach consideration last year, but he chose not to run, denying interview requests from the Jaguars and Colts.
    Telesco was Indianapoilis’ director of player personnel at the time.
    Monday’s interview with McCoy, 40, comes two days after the Broncos’ double-overtime loss to the Ravens. He began coaching in the league in 2000, serving as the Panthers’ offensive assistant, wide receivers coach, quarterbacks coach and passing coordinator at different times over a nine-year tenure.
    A native of Novato, Calif., he was the Broncos’ quarterbacks coach in 2009 and their coordinator in the three years since. In 2012, Denver scored the NFL’s second most points with the fourth most yards. The year prior, McCoy retooled his offense midseason around the strengths of quarterback Tim Tebow en route to a division title.
    Arians, 60, recently completed a 9-3 run as the Colts’ interim head coach. He’s been the offensive coordinator for the Browns (2001 to 2003), Steelers (2007 to 2011) and Colts (2012 to present).
    Arians interviewed Sunday in Chicago and will visit Philadelphia on Tuesday.
    Telesco said last week Arians did an “amazing job in Indianapolis.”
    If the Chargers do ultimately hire a head coach with an offensive background, the chances would seem to increase the current defensive staff will remain largely, if not entirely, in tact.
    John Pagano had a strong first season as defensive coordinator while linebackers coach Joe Barry and secondary coach Ron Meeks have NFL coordinator experience.
    "I've only been through one coaching change, and the whole defensive staff stayed in tact," Chargers linebacker Jarret Johnson said recently. "I can see that happening here, but you never know. Sometimes, coaches get fired, and the new guy cleans house."

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,287
    After losing SD job to Telesco, Raye takes his Indy spot
    Posted by Darin Gantt on January 14, 2013, 3:54 PM EST
    New Chargers general manager Tom Telesco said he wanted to keep personnel man Jimmy Raye, the guy considered one of the early favorites for the Chargers GM job.
    Instead, Raye’s going to slide into Telesco’s old chair.
    According to Sports Illustrated’s Jim Trotter, Raye’s joining the Colts as vice president of football operations.
    The idea Raye might hang around after being considered a possible replacement for A.J. Smith seemed farfetched as soon as Telesco said it, and Telesco probably knew that too.
    Raye was also mentioned in connection to the Jets general manager job, but taking a sub-GM job now is probably an indication they weren’t prepared to offer him $1 million worth of house.

11. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +466
    The fact that Raye left the Chargers is hardly a shocker, but the news that he filled in the position vacated by Telesco is a bit of a tit-for-tat surprise ;)

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,287
    Tits I like....... Tats, not so much. ;)

13. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +466
    I just had to make sure, since I see Wendy no more, in any of your recent artworks ;)

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,287
    I felt she deserved better than being associated with a loser franchise. ;)

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,287
    Era of 'defense wins championships' is over

Rest in peace, defense. We’ll miss you. You had a good run. You gave us a lot of memories. You were responsible for great nicknames like the Purple People Eaters and the Steel Curtain. You even gave us a cliché -- “Defense wins championships” -- that had the added benefit of being true ... for a time. But that time is over.

The Broncos scored 35 points in the divisional round in single-digit temperatures. And lost. The Packers scored 31 points and lost. The Seahawks and Texans both scored 28 points and saw their seasons end. The losing teams in the second round of the playoffs averaged 30.5 points per game. The winners averaged 38.5. This is not the NFL you grew up with. These are closer to Big Ten basketball scores than traditional playoff football scores.

But adapt or die. Die like defense has died. NFL teams must learn to play “defense” -- or whatever new name it is eventually given -- in modern times. Here’s how.

Bend and break

Look, you’re going to give up points. That’s a given. But does it have to be instantly? At least make your opponent go on a three- or four-minute scoring drive so your offense can rest a little bit between its scoring drives.

Don’t spend money on “defense”

Why spend big money on a pass-rusher or defensive back that could instead be budgeted for an extra tight end or dynamic third-down back? Your defense is going to get torched regardless, so why waste money on it? Oh, look! Your $10 million linebacker got to the quarterback! And now he’s being penalized for roughing the passer. Money well spent.

Don’t commit penalties

Most forms of tackling are now outlawed. Defensive pass interference is called approximately seven million times more than offensive pass interference (rough estimate). This is not going to change. Don’t fight it. And don’t give your opponent free yards with your penalties. Why are you jumping offsides? Did you want to get a head-start on your fine for hitting the quarterback? No, it’s better to avoid penalties and just try to gently angle your offensive opponents out of bounds after they break into the secondary. Getting them out of bounds can stop the clock and give your offense more time to catch its breath.

Give up fast late-game scores

Your team is winning by four points with 90 seconds left in the game. What do you do? Try to stop your opponent from scoring a touchdown? AHHHHHHHHHHHahahahahahaha. Stop living in the past, man. Chances are you’re not going to stop them from scoring a touchdown. What you need to do is practice smart defensive failure clock management and let them score a touchdown immediately. That way you get the ball back in the hands of your offense with enough time to win the game with a touchdown of its own.

Know your role

Look, you play defense. Not everyone can be important like offensive players or even kickers, who score points. You are now regarded as the equals of punters: something that has been part of football for decades and no one can figure out how to completely get rid of. But you still have some worth. Because sometimes a quarterback will accidentally throw you the ball and you can catch it and run with it and score a touchdown, and for that brief moment you will know what it’s like to be relevant. And it will feel amazing.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,287
    4 degrees warmer than Foxboro right now. :tup:

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,287
    UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    @MecRemy: All quiet on coaching front?” >Execs on way back/just back from Denver. We're all just waiting. One, maybe two interviews to go.

18. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +466
    I think you just called all of us, including yourself, LOSERS ;)

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,287
    I prefer to say that I have a losing interest. ;)

20. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +406
    Don't we all! :D

Sent from my Mobile Zin finder!

21. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +406
    elliptical workout tonight! :D

Sent from my Mobile Zin finder!

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,287
    Marty Caswell@MartyCaswell

Adam Schefter says Mike McCoy is "really eyeing the Chargers job." Believes it comes down to McCoy and Gus Bradley. Interesting.

23. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,007
    Right about now he is over at WalMart picking up six new sets of thermal skivvies. ;)

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,287
    Shouldn't he wait until he gets there?...... I'm sure the price and tax is lower there. ;)

25. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +466
    Hey Fify,

Why not put the cart before the horse?

;)

26. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,016
    Couldn't agree more, if that didn't get the nut sack tingling, well frankly, your a lost cause.

oh he'll NO, Frisco won't give up anywhere near that type of scoreline, as impressive as they were and how I'd love to see a guy like Gonzo hoist the Lombardi, I think the Niners will be to strong for them also.

Say what you like about BellyChick, but there's no denying the bastard is one hell of a Football coach ....... The fact that he seems to be able to adapt to situations on the fly and never miss a beat is what I find most enthralling.
    Most teams would crumble at the loss of their number recieving target, but not this mob, they just plug in another body and have some other unknown take the reins, bloody amazing really.

yep, Pats v Niners Superbowl for me ........

27. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,016
    Testing ....1,2,3 !!!!

Ok, seems like this place is working ............................except when trying to quote certain posts ????

Well BLEW, couldnt quote your piece on Jimmy Raye NOT hanging about .................. its OK, although you did say he was a "cert" as the next GM, we wont hold it against you ;) (its not like its a first or anything !! :roflmao:)

Wonder what happened with that whole "continuity" spiel that was being drummed out weekly by Spanos and Co for all those years ????

Ahhhh, I bet they figured we'd all forgot about that ancient stuff and are ready to just hope onboard the Good Ship Lollypop, like the last 6 years never happened .................I mean, thats what a "real fan" does right ? ..........just forgives & forgets like an obedient puppy !!!

Sorry Jimmy, you were an honest and loyal servant, no doubt of that, or no doubt you deserved better than you got in the end.

Good luck in Indy Jimmy, at least working for a guy like Irsay should be a piece of cake compared to what you've had to endure the last 8 or so years of your life in San Diego.

28. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,016
    Excuse me !!!!..............................I'll have you know that both myself and Pumpkin are both highly sensitive to such remarks.

p.s......................OK, just HOW BIG we talking here ?????................Pumpkin ?...not fussy in the least ....... me ?...............a little more fussy lets just say !!!

29. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,016
    SECOND !!!!!!

30. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,016

OK, who stole the Chargers Strategic Defensive Gameplan Booklet ???????