1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,509
    Greetings........ it's a bit dark and damp out. ;)

[​IMG]

2. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +634
    If it wasn't for Fred, you'd not even know if there was an "out there" ;)

But then again, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you were of the opinion that the whole Universe is some complex computer simulation :p

3. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Hell, has it ever ....

Gooey a MOD !!!!!!!!! ......Shammy has traded in the Missus and already has another in tow from what I can gather, it's all happening over there, the place has turned into a complete train wreck since our departure..... :D ;)

I think Kiwi was the only sane bastard to start with to be honest with you, lets hope he hasn't fallen off the wagon or we're all in trouble.

4. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089

Very nice !!!! ....and sums the bastards up to a tee.

5. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Is she describing her genital area for us ??????

6. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +386
    I can concur with all of that. Although I have never known Meestor Shamrock to be dishonest.

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,509
    Oh no, I was just out there. It was cold, windy, and damp.

I was less than pleased with the weather...... Fred was happy as a clam.

The cold snowy weather in Skyrim doesn't bother me as much. ;)

8. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Did I say he was dishonest ?...............(reading back ......) .............Phew, OK, no, I didn't think I did, as I've never had a reason to think of Sham as dishonest, SandyBob........................ a total Loon at times, but then again, aren't we all, thats why things have worked out for as long as they have amongst us, is how I see things. ;)

9. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    I have the Deev on FT currently and she's under the covers trying to stay warm.

Though she is one of the biggest wimps Ive ever meet when it comes to weather it must be noted.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,509
    I don't know about you, but when it's cold and damp, it just feels worse. I could never live in a place that was damp all the time.

Fred's sitting on the front porch....... I'm thinking about a hot bath. ;)

11. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +386
    You are correct. I misread your post. You noted Kiwi as the only sane one... (as opposed to the only honest one).

Things do work out, but we are never going to have the common meeting point. Shamrock refuses to log in here. Oz has been banned. Despite it's very obvious shortcomings, this board holds the best of the remnants of the Golden Era.

12. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Oh hell NO ......... gotta have me some sunshine, thats why a place like London would never interest me in the least............that dreary, dull climate they have there for what seems the majority of the year would drive me nuts.

13. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Not nice Jack.

Have a nice day Mate.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,509
    Not nice to do, or not nice to comment on? ;)

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,509
    Or Seattle....... gray and dreary is not for me.

16. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Hey now SandyBob, I tried using one of those penis pumps in an attempt to boost the sperm count, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be ......... please don't hold that against me now though !!!!

Good man that Kiwi, need to catch up with him again shortly.

Thats OK in regard to Shammy and the others, they have their own reasons to stay over at the CMB and thats fine, I still have every intention of staying in touch with them all from over there in one form or another, just because its not what it used to be, doesn't mean what was started with the JNCP isn't somewhat still relevant.

17. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    No disrespect meant whatsoever Dave, just stating a comment from what Ive observed of late, not making any judgements here mate.
    I certainly hope Shammy wouldn't be offended by an off-the-cuff comment as beign as that, I believe he's made of tougher stuff than that Dave.

18. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Yep, that's another place that would be on the "short visit only" list also.

19. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    This one needs to appear in FULL TEXT to be fully appreciated .......... :eek:

OK, I think I have this one figured out ......................... only fact I'm having difficulty with fully grasping is ........

Which of the 5 kid's was "blown out of proportion" ???????

Now thats a Stripper I'd really like to meet !!!!! :roflmao:

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,509
    And to think, it wasn't that long ago that daughters were married off at 13 in some communities (and in some countries still are).

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,509
    Now here's a depressing story......... morning all.

Don't feed the (polar) bears
    By John D. Sutter, CNN
    updated 10:42 AM EST, Wed February 20, 2013
    [​IMG]
    A polar bear searches the snow for food. It has been several months since it has eaten.

(CNN) -- Here's a seriously depressing question:

If a polar bear no longer has ice to stand on and must have his "bear kibble" (that's a real term; more on it soon) airlifted to the Arctic by helicopter, is he still a polar bear? Or is he some sort of zoo-like experiment -- a sad but perhaps unavoidable consequence of an era of melting ice and warming climates?

I posed a less-wordy version of that question to Andrew Derocher, a biologist and polar bear expert at the University of Alberta. He recently published a paper outlining several emergency actions that likely will have to be taken soon to save the Arctic bears.

Among Derocher's scenarios is using helicopters to airdrop food on polar bears as their icy habitat continues to melt -- at a cost of $32,000 per day for the "most accessible" bears. (The hope is that such interventions would last days per year, not months).

"It's a lot better to have some animals in the wild even if they are being supplemented in their food. If we were basically the sole food source for these animals, then we're going to have some very serious issues. Then it won't really be a polar bear anymore," Derocher said on the phone. "It will be a semi-wild, semi-captive, free-ranging carnivore. And it probably wouldn't do that well even if the ice started to come back" since the bear would become so dependent on the airlifted food that he may forget how to hunt.
    (Sigh). It's really come to this.

Derocher's paper, which appeared in the journal Conservation Letters, has been getting lots of attention because it outlines several last-ditch ideas for saving the polar bears, including feeding them bear chow, which, as one commercial website describes it, contains "ground corn, porcine meat meal, fish meal (menhaden), dehulled soybean meal, corn gluten meal, ground soybean hulls, porcine animal fat preserved with BHA, dried beet pulp, soybean oil, taurine, salt" and a bunch of stuff I can't pronounce. It's packaged sort of like cat food.

His other ideas: Moving the bears northward, where the ice is less likely to melt; euthanizing some of the bears, which he writes "may be the most humane option for individual bears in very poor condition that are unlikely to survive"; and moving some of the polar bears to zoos.

None of those options is easy to stomach -- and not just because of the "porcine meat meal." Derocher knows that. He doesn't want to have to feed the polar bears, much less euthanize them. After 30 years of researching the Arctic bears, he's just being realistic.

As the planet warms, thanks to our gas-guzzling cars and power-producing factories, the polar bear's frozen habitat is disappearing. Arctic sea ice has been declining at a rate of 13% per decade since 1979, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center. Many scientists expect summer sea ice to disappear in a matter of decades. Polar bears live and hunt from sea ice. If it's gone, they can't catch seals, which tend to stay far from land. And if the bears can't catch seals, they can't survive. There's no other way around it.

Unless, maybe, you airdrop some food on them.

But even then, something of the bear's essence is lost.

"It's ridiculous, human beings feeding polar bears. Polar bears are wild animals," James Eetoolook, vice president of an Inuit group in Canada's Nunavut told The Canadian Press. "They're predators. They're hunters. Let them be."

"I wouldn't say I'm 'against' it, just skeptical about how much good it will do to them," one commenter wrote on my Google+ page when I asked about the subject. "I'm afraid that in our haste to do good we might do more harm in the long run."

It's easy to have a whiplash reaction: Don't feed the polar bears. It's very Yogi, as Derocher put it. But such plans, while tragic, may be unavoidable at this point.

The fact that such an idea is even up for consideration should be a major wake-up call -- a reminder that climate change is real and happening now. While some of its effects are inevitable (some polar bear habitat absolutely will be lost, Derocher said), there are longer-term solutions that could help save some of the polar-bear-ness of the polar bear. Or at the very least, Derocher said, they're ideas that could save them from extinction.

The solutions are all things you've heard before: cut carbon dioxide emissions, use less power, walk don't drive, live more efficiently.

It's not rocket science (or, as one Twitter user recently suggested as a replacement for that phrase, "it's not corporate income-tax law"), but it will take a huge amount of political will in the United States and elsewhere to make substantive changes.

That seems to exist. In his State of the Union address, President Barack Obama called for action on climate change "for the sake of our children and our future." Some 35,000 people gathered in Washington last weekend to make similar points. Organizers said it was the largest demonstration of its kind in the United States.

Meanwhile, none of the five countries with polar bears -- the United States, Norway, Russia, Canada or Greenland -- has a plan for responding to polar bear emergencies "caused by nutritional stress," the scientists write in the recent paper, which is titled "Rapid ecosystem change and polar bear conservation."

When we act and how may determine how quickly the species disappears. Current projections don't look good. Researchers from the U.S. Geological Survey have estimated that two-thirds of polar bears will be gone by 2050. For the Arctic ice melt to make sense, all you have to do is watch this YouTube video, from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which shows the puny extent of sea ice in 2012 compared with the historical average.

With all that as the backdrop, feeding polar bears doesn't sound so crazy, however sad and potentially irreversible it may be. And such programs do exist for other species, Derocher said, including California condors, black bears in Washington state and brown bears in Eastern Europe.

"We're at the point where we're going to be implementing some of these scenarios in some parts of the Arctic," he said, "without doubt.

"Bears just aren't as fat as they used to be," he said, which makes them less able to live through low-sea-ice years. "It's very clear when you look at the data and when you just look at the animals. A lot of them just don't have that much gas left in their tank."

I asked Derocher what drives him. He said he's not a sentimental person -- he doesn't get attached to an individual polar bear the way he does to his golden retriever. But when you're in the Arctic and you see how much the bears are struggling, it's hard not to care about them as a group -- to want to do something to preserve their wild power.

"I'm still optimistic that humans will decide to deal with greenhouse gases in a realistic fashion," he said.

To illustrate why that's important, he pointed me to an online video that shows the death of a young polar bear cub. It's linked here but, as a Mother Jones writer put it, "Be forewarned: this is graphic and ghastly." I wouldn't watch it unless you absolutely feel the need to do so. What's more important is Derocher's reaction. For him, the video echoed his experiences in the Arctic, surveying bears that are struggling because of sea ice melt.

"When you watch that," he said, "you have to, I think, be pretty hardhearted to think that maybe humans aren't treading a little too heavily on this planet."

22. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    happy to see that Osi has found himself a "keeper" in a former Miss Universe winner ......

now who'd have thunk that a Miss Universe would be into squeezing out a Mr Whippy for her Man ?

It's a strange old world, that's for sure.

Lets hope she keeps the pantry full of ice cream cones when she does the weekly grocery shopping or things could get messy very quickly in that household. ;)

23. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    Smells in here.

[​IMG]

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,509
    A shower wouldn't have killed you.

25. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    hello stranger ......

Is that dogs name Poopsy by any chance, like Osi ????

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Droopy may have a little English blood in him BLEW ......

if that's the case, then a shower may well of killed him..........throw in a bar of soap and he would've been a deadset goner.

27. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    It was all your guys' talk about the CMB that made it stink in here. Hopefully, the stinch will clear out for a long while. ;)

Ne English in my blood. All German and Czech.

28. X FACTOR

X FACTOR In for Life.........

Ratings:
    +186
    Thunder/Sleet/Ice storm this morning than some hail, and calling for snow or more ice.

29. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +634
    From The Dirty, which is a very salacious gossip site:

Rygina related!

P.S. Have not seen it reported/posted anywhere else, so its veracity is questionable. The Dirty is a very vicious gossip site (anyone with an ax to grind can post up sheeeet, but the fact that Ryno was posted on it just does not bode very well for him.

30. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +421
    Heading to a job interview at 3:00 and then one tomorrow at 10:00am!

The one tomorrow will be my 4th trip there! :D