1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +421
    Got my 1st account today on my 1st days out on my own!

I feel bad they were with my old company since 1997 :D

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,511
    How gullible do you think we are? :laugh:

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    His name has been tossed around by others..... seems like a logical enough target. I don't believe in overpaying to keep Vasquez anyway.

4. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +421
    That's why I used the big grin! :tup:

Too bad the tank sits on a cross street that can be seen by all who pass by!

Oh YES it felt GOOD! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

5. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Good news about Cason .................... just as I said 3 years ago, this guy lacked in every department that you'd expect out of a good honest CB, another hugely disappointing, underachieving #1 draft pick.............................farg me, Merriman, Cromartie, Busted, Cason, English, Mathews ........2006 through 2011 #1 picks..........and yet Spanos kept AJ around, through what in hindsight, has to rank as some of the alltime worst drafting in the history of the NFL, without doubt.

Now, anyone here still doubting why we are in a world of hurt these days ????

Good, didn't think so. ;)

Ohhhhhh...........................and can somebody tell me WHY on earth Jammer SHOULDN'T be given a chance to play Safety for this team ???? ......................seriously, could he be any worse than what has been tried there for the last 6 years ?..................Farg NO he couldn't.

6. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +634
    Jack, Merriman was not initially a bust of a pick! Although I paralleled him with Boz just yesterday, it was more in the context of his antics, lying, cheating & sheethead ways as a person than a player. Let us agree on the fact that he terrorized the league for 2 1/2 years and got away for his juicing for at least that long. Of course I would have much rather taken Ware, but if AJ had passed on SM after Ware was already gone, I am sure that for those 2-3 years the Fans would have been screaming for AJ's head. It is my opinion that SM was the best player available at that pick spot according to our needs, so his pick was not a tough call to make. How he screwed the Chargers and the debacle of SM and FO after the facts, well, is another story.

Out of the Motley Crew which you had mentioned, only Larry English was not on any draftnik's radar as a round # 1 pick, so he was definitely a reach. The others were all projected to go in round # 1, but just like any draft, players rise and fall within a few spots. I mean who is that KC wanker DE who we were (Shammy was) big on a few years ago when he was projected to go in the middle and then KC took him way up there around #5? The point is that, this sheet happens. One of my big issues with AJ (among others) was as to for what farging reason, he had this panache for drafting well-known and well documented injury prone players???

Well in any case, the LONR is gone and the Organization must now deal with the aftermath of the #1 picks during his tenure. Ironically his 2012 draft may very well have a redeeming quality about it ;)

7. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I think we can believe that it will totally be up to the $ v/s perceived value on both of them. ;)

8. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    :confused: Jack forgot all about our WR "Bust-er" Davis in 2007? :eek:

Edited: Oh, he did say "Busted". ;)

9. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    why would anyone pay, let alone overpay for a player like Vaseline, who has shown absolutely nothing that suggests he'll be anything other than a warm body (and even that's debatable) during his tenure thus far ?????

Let him walk, no loss whatsoever as long as they go after someone who has at least shown a willingness to succeed........

10. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089

Hahahahahaha ..... You should know me better than that by now Dave ........ How could anyone who cares a smidgen, forget any of those hacks over the years ?????

It almost become a game of sorts as to who would be the next "Ryan Leaf" when it came around to late April, if you are a Charger fan.

Now that its all in the past and his career can be fully observed without bias, it really is quite comical just how bad a GM he truly was .......

Saddest thing about that though ....... The guy that kept him around and stood by him every single year without hesitation, is STILL calling the shots and therein lies the true reason this franchise will continue to struggle.

11. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089

Doesn't matter about what he was "initially" mate, the simple, facts are that he cost us BIG TIME in the long run and when it was finally all over, he cost us more than he was worth........ Lets not forget the money he drained out while not even on the field.

So 2 1/2 years of 'roided play means he gets a pass ???? .....not in my books, guy was a bust and a cheat who thought he could beat the system, when that didn't pan out he just talked a good story and fooled anyone who'd listen (and God knows there were plenty of those, weren't there).

For a Franchise to NOT get 3 years of reliable service outta 6 consecutive # 1 draft picks is nothing short of criminal, so someone tell me why any of us should put any faith in The Spanos clan to suddenly turn this thing around ????

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    I don't think that many people had Buster graded as a 1st round pick. He was a reach too, just not quite as much as English, since he at least played for a major program.

13. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +634
    I still remember reading that the Colts really wanted Busted Davis (he worked with the Mannings running routes with them) and they were picking after us. AJ "out smarted" the Colts and picked Davis, since his coveted pick, a certain Robert Meacham, was picked by the Saints who picked in front of the Chargers. The Colts picked Anthony Gonzales instead, since AJ had already taken Davis. The word on Busted was that he was faster than the other WRs who were projected to go toward the bottom of the draft and was the most polished.

I am not defending the decision, just stating what I had read and what I dredged up on the Net. An awful and stinky mess now, after the facts.

14. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +634
    Of course he cost us BIG TIME, but my contention was that he was not a prototypical AJ reach. He was the best player avail at that position for that need and many other teams would have taken him too, if they were in that exact spot with that need. Picking SM was not a colossal clusterfarg, but it just happens that he truly farged the Team along the way with his well documented shenanigans. Having a truly sheety team physician didn't help us either ;)

15. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +634
    Oh sheet, when the heck did I turn into a Lance protege?! :roflmao:

Where is that bugger? I miss him :D

16. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +634
    P.S. This we completely agree on :)

17. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    That would indeed by my reaction ........ luckily for me I dont see a mirror that early, becoming wiser over the years has at least taught me that much.

18. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Nicely played Ol' Fella ........ give 'em the 'back half' as often as possible.

19. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    I agree BLEW, at the time for memory, there werent to many of us overly thrilled about the choice, the fact that he was a Buddy Nix LSU alum, set the bells a ringin' yet again, plus the fact that he was a huge reach at that spot simply based upon his inability to stay fit, which as it turned out, was more than a genuine concern expressed by alot of us at the time.

20. X FACTOR

X FACTOR In for Life.........

Ratings:
    +186
    Evening gents.

21. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089

I hear ya .......no it wasnt a colossal clusterfarg at the time, but my point being that after he tested positive , he was still treated with kid gloves by everyone associated within the organisation, instead of being pulled in line like he should have been.

He dictated to them as to how things would work and it was one disaster after another from that point on and never at any stage did anyone in the franchise sit his arse down and say ...... "Hey Shawne, this is how, as an employee of this franchise, YOU are going to proceed".....

No one had the balls to stand up to the guy and it was a major reason and start of the decline, that see's us now in the position we are, which was what I wwas trying to get at back in the days with all those that were totally "adoring of this Adonis" and refused to see or believe.

They are still out there to this day blaming everyone else for his shortcomings, be it Jeff Fischer, MJD, or the Man on the Moon ....... farg me drunk people, its called accountability, the one thing the guy NEVER in his life has faced up too and its now cost him what could have been a sensational career and lifestyle, most of us could only ever dream about.

Farg feeling sorry for the likes of him and your Lance Armstrongs of the world ......... Nothing but Illusionists, disguised as sportsmen, ripping the people off, no better than the Madoff's or Enron's of the world' yet we give them a pass simply based on the fact that they did it while competing in a Sport .....

Well not me, Ill never forget or forgive any of the bastards who have rorted the games for the sake of their own self importance and gains through legal methods........ farg 'em all.

22. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    I believe Lance may be taking a well earned rest ........ plus the fact that his "favorites" not being able to live up to his lofty standards, thus making his predictions rather null & void, may have something to do with his absence as well.... ;)

23. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    well thank farg for that ....... I was starting to worry about you...... ;)

It really is hard to believe, even in hindsight, that this franchise farg'd the pooch SO BADLY, for SO LONG and didn't react till it did.

If that alone doesn't alert the greatest Spanos enabler to his cluelessness of how NOT to run a team, then I have no idea what to tell you .....

24. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Hey X man ......hows it hangin' ?

You havent been out Hoonin' in that new beast, have you ????

25. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +634
    I will address this excerpt and this was the main reason:

In his rookie year in 2005, not initially as a starter, but as he cracked the starting lineup after week # 6, he recorded 10 sacks. His best game was against the Colts when he recorded 2 sacks and one was Manning's sack for a loss on 4th and goal. Merriman was awarded the DROY that year and was a Pro-Bowl nominee.

In 2006, he recorded 17 sacks and he was the single season NFL sack leader with 17 sacks, despite serving a 4 game suspension for violating NFL's anti-steroid policy (his lawyers vehemently fought Mortensen's report citing tainted supplements as the culprit) He was 3rd in voting for DPOY (Jason Taylor won and if you remember SM sent JT a box of popcorn because Miami did not make the POs) and the NFL's "Merriman Rule" came to pass, although The Commish was quick to state that the player had tested negatively 19 times out of the 20 tests. If you also recall, the frenzied homer fans were predicting a SM 20+ sack for the 2007 season :eek:

In 2007, Merriman still recorded a very respectable 12.5 sack season and he had the highest sack tally from 2005 through 2007 with one full sack ahead of Jason Taylor in that time period. During the SM's era of prowess, his solo tackles, assists, forced fumbles, QB rushes and INTs were also very impressive so much so that he was named to PB in three consecutive years. That is why I had stated in my earlier post that he terrorized the league during those short 3 years.

Merriman put arses in the seats during his golden years and it was the almighty $ which was his most effective weapon and shield. The Organization was not that stupid not to recognize his antics but as usual, morality lost out to profiteering. I can't be bothered to look at his cap figures to see as to why he wasn't cut in 2008 when all the shenanigans with him and not electing for surgery was going down prior to the training camp, but hindsight is always 20-20.

An organization like the Chargers who has never won the Big One, doesn't have the kind of leverage and clout to deal with a Periah player such as SM, as opposed to a pedigree organization with a winning record. Until then, do not be surprised a bit if history keeps repeating itself ;)

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    Only one left to go....... ;)

[​IMG]

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    Bit of a head scratcher to me.......

Report: No high tender expected for Danario Alexander
    Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 9, 2013, 11:27 AM EST
    The Chargers are not expected to tender wide receiver Danario Alexander at the first- or second-round level in restricted free agency, Adam Caplan of TheSidelineView.com reported Saturday morning. Instead, it’s likely they will give him the lowest RFA tender, Caplan reported.
    The 6-foot-5, 212-pound Alexander was an exceptional in-season addition for San Diego in 2012, catching 37 passes for 658 yards and seven TDs in just 10 games for the Chargers. He ranks No. 57 in PFT’s list of the top 100 free agents in the Class of 2013.
    It is unclear why the Chargers apparently won’t give Alexander a higher RFA tender. He has had a history of left knee issues (though, it should be noted, he didn’t miss a game for San Diego in 2012).
    An undrafted free agent in 2010, Alexander would have to be tendered at the first- or second-round level for the Chargers to receive any draft-pick compensation were he to sign an offer sheet that they declined to match. A high tender might also have dampened the market for Alexander, considering the value of draft choices. However, that hurdle doesn’t appear to be in place. The question now is whether a team makes Alexander an offer.

28. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +634
    I blame Jared Gaither ;)

29. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Im not doubting or arguing for one second that he wasn't a force* or responsible for putting arses on seats Poofessoria, for that he definitely was ....... But the fact he did that by cheating, of which I have said since the day it was reported back in 06 or whenever, cast the first stone of doubt from that day forth as to what we were really seeing perform these feats of greatness.

As it would turn out to be ( in my adjudication anyway) was nothing but what a roided out player was capable of, not one playing on his natural ability and thus began the questions and subsequent spiral thereafter.

Why he wasn't cut in 08 was because all those FO wankers let him tell them how the asylum was going to run and them backing down to his every word, quite simple really.......

The fact he only tested positive once is of NO interest to me at all and shouldn't be an excuse anyone can use after the entire debacle that was Lance Armstrong and before that, any number of phony baseball pastimers who broke every record in baseball that was ever worth a damn ...... simply put, all those records are nothing but shams and should be excluded from the history books, no need for asterisks or whatever, we all are now fully aware they are a crock of shite.

I've been saying for years now that any Dr/sports scientist worthy of running a dirty operation in the first place, would also be intelligent enough to stay ahead of the detecting agencies or he'd soon be out of business .....therefore you'd be pretty naive (as has been the case with the majority of general sports fan) to think they also aren't coming up with masking agents to cover their tracks, wouldn't you think ???

Have a quick peek at headlines in the Sydney Telegraph Yesty, today, last week etc ...... Dominated by headlines about PEDs and what it is currently doing and affecting the huge business of Rugby League ...... Looks like at least one team (word is, at least 2 others are going down also) is going to lose 14 of its 23 man roster (for at least 2 years mind you) on the eve of the first game of the season, thus virtually ensuring it of the death penalty over there... ...... it's unbelievable it's got to this stage, when the Country's highest authority on anything to do with Organised Crime is involved (Australian Crime Commission), who have the powers to indict, suspend, jail, wiretape the criminals involved....... It's well past the point of a slap on the wrist, let me tell you.

Those folks don't get involved if its about a bloke smoking a joint in his lounge room, this is some serious shite facing all our top ranking sporting codes and Im sure their are many guys sweating bullets presently just wondering when the knock at the door is coming......and for those that say its all a media exaggerated beat up !!!!!........ Patience doubters, you won't have a leg to stand on shortly, need proof ? .....go have a word with Lance and see what life looks like from looking over your shoulder 24/7 !!!!

30. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    It's coming .......he's as good as gone, bank on it.

So, how wrong was I again about ...Never winning anything with this bunch of overhyped all stars ???????

Bet there aren't to many of those past antagonists about these days BLEW, who are willing to admit they were wrong. ;)