1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Oh Hell yeah...you need noise-canceling headphones to block out the mess o' dueling banjos,
    but it is beautiful out there. The views from Frozen Head should be lovely. Best of luck.

2. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Morning ????? ........................I'm just about to hit the Ol' fartsack for the nite mate, speak for yourself. ;)

How are things mate ? ..................already working on the games you're going to attend this season no doubt ?

Hoping to be back myself this season, not a great draw for us OS types to work with this year, all the HOME games backloaded at the end of the season is a real bummer, no way I'd be wanting to risk coming in Dec, games could be meaningless, half the team on IR and any away game more likely than not would be in freezing conditions.

But, thats life, hopefully something can be worked out still.

3. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    You an Ol' Tennessian boy Lance ???

4. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    :(

5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Dad was born there...went back last summer to find relatives in Tenn. & N. Carolina.
    Both are lovely in summer...not sure I'd be as enamored in January. I sure relate to the desire
    to be back on a sizable chunk of real estate, far from freeways, though...

6. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Never been through there - took a peek with google - sure looks like some beautiful country. Out of what you are looking at, how much ground is cleared v/s how much wooded? Sure makes me jealous regardless! (I love the backwoods).

Gonna change yer login from Okie to Stump Jumper? :D

7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,485
    Help (or competition) for Baby Zilla.......

Byron Jerideau, NT - 6' 1" / 325 lb

Comment on the video:
    The clips I've seen on Kwame Geathers aren't as impressive to me. He gets pushed off the line easier, and he isn't quite as athletic speed-wise. I think his 6' 6" height works against him as a NT. He can't get low enough to win the leverage battle.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,485
    This part is for our resident power lifter....... ;)

Once he realized football was his game, Jerideau began weight-lifting as a sixth-grader in the tiny community of Green Pond, located 12 miles south of Walterboro where S.C. 303 dead-ends into U.S. 17. Lifting weights transformed Jerideau from a skinny middle-schooler to a strong man who could move cars in high school.

By the time Jerideau arrived at USC, following a couple of seasons at Fort Scott (Kan.) Community College, the Gamecocks had a lineman seasoned in the ways of a weight room.

“Genetically, he was very strong already,” Connolly says, “and he has made a lot of really, really solid gains, not only with body composition but with strength since he’s been here.

“Genetically, I think everybody has a certain ceiling. But I think your ability to get stronger continues on until the age of 40, or even 50.”

Jerideau can power clean lift well over 300 pounds. He has bench-pressed 500 pounds and his best squat lift was 670 pounds. His strength index — a number that takes into account three different lifts and uses a coefficient to balance the difference in mass weight of individuals — this past winter was 754.61, according to Connolly.

The number does not mean much to the untrained observer until one considers that the best in the previous four years Connolly has been at USC was a 725 recorded by former linebacker Rodney Paulk. The next highest mark on the current roster was a 690 by junior offensive guard Ronald Patrick. Jerideau’s numbers are all the more impressive because the strength index usually favors athletes with a smaller body type like Paulk, who lifted at 6-foot, 229 pounds.

9. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I hate to seem like an arrogant prick, but powerlifting and weightlifting are two different sports.

Regardless, he seems really strong. That doesn't translate to a great football player, though; it just shows that he a) uses it correctly or b) throws away his potential.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,485
    You'll have to try hard, if you want to top Matty. ;)

11. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    This is true.

12. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089

hahahahahahahahahaha, now Stanly, that is funny. :tup:

13. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    If the subject were snatch - you and I would be speaking of different things. ;)

14. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Good man ;)

15. X FACTOR

X FACTOR In for Life.........

Ratings:
    +186
    you knew my meaning sir.

16. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089

You didn't mention "take the place of..." May I enquire as to why that would be ????? ..... :D

17. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Now Dave, am I to take that to mean you think the next "snatch" he see's, will be his first ?????? :D

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,485
    Baby Z has the jump in experience....... NFL competition is still a step above playing against LSU. ;)

19. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Mike Wallace latest to join the "Caveman mentality Club" I see ....... Another member of the open mouth and dribble, before engaging brain matter into gear .....

It's never ending, isn't it !!!!!

20. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089

Not if you asked Buddy Nix for his informed opinion it's not !!!! :D

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,485
    Somehow, I knew you'd bring that senile old bastage up. ;)

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,485
    Interesting that you could consider all the Chargers draft picks a "value" picks. I saw one review of the selections and where they were projected to go, and they all (expect Fluker, who went in the 1st as expected), were taken a round or two after.

Te'o projected 1st, went in the 2nd. Allen projected as a 2nd, went in the 3rd. S. Williams projected as a 3rd, went in the 5th. T. Williams projected as a 4th, went in the 6th. And finally, Sorenson projected as a 5th, went in the 7th.

Even if fans aren't in love with all these players, that's still good value for the draft position.

23. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    At least I know you and I would be talking about the same thing Jack. ;)

24. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I believe we can safely assume the job is Cam Thomas' to lose Jacko... ;)

25. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Am I wrong though ???? ;)

26. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Now lets hope they can all live up to that "perceived" talent level and we should be looking OK in about 3 years time.

27. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    He wouldn't be the first for that to happen Dave ....... Lets just hope these UDFA can at least push the incumbents to a higher level of play, we need that to happen.

28. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Speak for yourself there Ol' Fella, I just know the word because Deev seems to use it alot ...... :D

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,485
    The 2013 draft's winners, losers
    The Chargers score big while the Jets guarantee themselves further QB drama
    Originally Published: April 27, 2013
    By John Clayton | ESPN.com

The 2013 draft was rich in beef and low on skill players.

Three tackles went in the top four picks, and six offensive linemen went in the top 11. Only three receivers, one tight end and one quarterback went in the first round. For the first time in 49 years, no running back was selected in the first round.

The drama involved the quarterbacks. Geno Smith went in the second round to the New York Jets. EJ Manuel went to Buffalo instead of Ryan Nassib. Matt Barkley, Nassib, Landry Jones and Tyler Wilson went in the fourth round.

This draft was dominated by the SEC. In all, 63 SEC players were drafted, eight more than any other conference has had in a single draft.

There were 26 draft day trades. Only four veterans were moved -- wide receiver Davone Bess to Cleveland, running back Chris Ivory to the Jets, running back LeGarrette Blount to New England and running back Jeff Demps to the Bucs. Efforts to trade Kansas City left tackle Branden Albert to Miami failed.

Here are the winners and losers.

Winners

1. San Diego Chargers: It was a nice scene when the San Diego Chargers had their top three choices -- tackle D.J. Fluker, linebacker Manti Te'o and wide receiver Keenan Allen -- standing on a podium holding up their new uniforms. This draft might not be as memorable as the 2005 draft, but it was a good one. That draft produced Shawne Merriman, Luis Castillo, Vincent Jackson and Darren Sproles. Once Philip Rivers took over the starting job in 2006, the 2005 class provided enough of a lift to turn the Chargers into a perennial playoff team and a Super Bowl contender. Merriman and Castillo provided power and explosiveness to the defense. Sproles offered big plays to the offense and special teams. Call the Chargers 2013 draft class serviceable -- and their best class in years. Fluker should immediately become one of the most powerful right tackles as a rookie. Te'o isn't to be confused with Junior Seau, but his play should make him a fan favorite. In the 3-4, Te'o might not be the all-everything like Seau, but he could be more like Zach Thomas, the former great linebacker of the Miami Dolphins. Takeo Spikes is gone, so starting inside linebacker is Te'o's job to lose. Linebackers are usually favorites for defensive rookie of the year, and it's not out of the question for Te'o to end up as a good candidate. Allen could put this class over the top. He's a big receiver, although he doesn't have Vincent Jackson's deep speed. For a third-round choice, though, the Chargers couldn't go wrong.

30. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Don't mind John Clayton's opinion at all .......................... knows the game as well as anyone.

Now lets just sit back and see how it pans out.