1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +417

Or maybe I am just messing with you!

Oh, I would never do that! :sneaky:

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Hey Jack. Personally, I wouldn't ask "WHY?" if a guy "returned back to the Ravers for the same amount or less."
    It's the most common and sensible approach. Would you pick up your life, uproot your family, move thousands
    of miles, leave the fans that have learned to like you and begin learning a new system, at 33...
    for no gain? (or an insignificant raise?). Most people respond to incentives in a pretty self-interested
    and predictable way...looks like McKinnie was too. This little NFL.com piece reinforces my feeling
    that Telescopo was right to not get into a bidding war for this particular personality.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ant-mckinnie-baltimore-ravens-strike-contract

p.s.: Acee says "Very good chance" Chargers land McKinnie...Ian Rapoport says negotiations "never got off the ground"...makes me re-examine my view of KA as omniscient man-god. :tdown:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +417
    Oh, Lance a player made a decisions that was best for himself and his family? :tup:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Well...it's principally selfish behavior (in the more benign, 'invisible hand' sense)...exactly what an economist expects.

(Offer a man $100 across town, or $100 across the street, and see which he chooses)

5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    2012 Ravens training camp footage........ line coach attempts to motivate Bryant McKinnie to practice:

6. X FACTOR

X FACTOR In for Life.........

Ratings:
    +186
    Morning guys........ sick day for me today.

7. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I KNEW IT! The man had "Down Under" written on that jaw-line of his!
    San Diego Chargers quarterback Mike Hermann was born in Australia

MIKE Hermann is the biggest secret in Australian sport.

On Wednesday, the 23-year-old became the first Australian quarterback to crack the NFL, signing a two-year-deal with the San Diego Chargers.

It was a milestone moment everyone in Australia missed - except for his extended family living in Sydney.

He has no memories of his home country, having moved with his father to Miami, Florida, just after his second birthday. He has never come back to these shores.

He does not know Australia, but he loves it.

His pride at carrying an Australian birth certificate next to an American passport stems from a very real longing to connect with what he knows second-hand of his first home.

"Australia is obviously known for rugby and cricket and other sports, so to be the first NFL quarterback out of Australia is an incredible honour," Hermann told The Daily Telegraph.

"When I tell people my background, I always start by telling them that I was born in Sydney.
    "It's something I'm very proud of. I wish I could have more contact and more of a relationship with my Australian roots and background, but unfortunately it's not an easy trip to make and it's quite expensive.

"I hope I pave the way in a sense for more Australian athletes to start expanding their boundaries. I hope I can make an impact."

Fortunately, we've only missed the first - albeit incredibly dramatic - chapter of Hermann's journey from a maternity ward in a Paddington hospital to the big time of American sport.
    At 196cm and 115kg it is the first time Hermann has gone unnoticed.

He has always stood out.

It's why 28 NFL scouts made the journey to see him trial for the league's draft earlier this year.
    It was a level of attention unheard of for a player coming from an NCAA Division III university.
    You see, it just doesn't happen. NFL quarterbacks do not come from Division III schools like Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute with 5000 students in Troy, upstate New York.

"The odds are 1 per cent of 1 per cent," Hermann's agent Jeffrey Dobin says. "What Mike has done is truly incredible."

His road to get there is equally as astounding.

Hermann's parents never married, ending their relationship before he and his father, Roy, moved to the US.

A year later they got a phone call out of the blue to tell them Mike's mother, Diane Brooking, from New Zealand, had been killed in a car accident at the age of 29.

He spent his childhood moving up and down the US east coast as his father looked for work.

Sport was one of their closest bonds, but the arguments and demands that came with it were part of the reason their relationship eventually broke down while Mike was a sophomore in high school.

The arguments escalated to the point where they were "on the verge of killing each other" after his father was diagnosed with a debilitating form of dementia.

Mike moved away from his father and moved in with his uncle Steve and aunt Estelle.
    Before the move, putting food on the table was a struggle. Their water, power and gas were regularly cut for overdue bills.

Having the money to afford a holiday in Australia was laughable.

Not anymore. Signing a two-year contract in one of the world's richest sporting leagues has changed that.

"I never had an opportunity to make it back because of the financial position my Dad and I were in," Hermann said.

"Now that I'm hopefully making some money, I can make it back as soon as possible. I'd love to one day be a big name guy going back to the home country, you know. I'd love to be warmly welcomed when I come back.

"I'm going to try and make a name for myself when I come back."

He left with nothing but will return a star - no longer the best kept secret in Australian sport.

8. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Afternoon, everyone.

A bit slow today.

9. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,071
    Well, that should suit you right down to the ground then Stanly ....... Maybe you'll be able to decipher something written here for a change ...... ;)

I'll be back shortly to comment on the "new AUSSIE QB" ....... Long night/day and Jackies in desperate need of a mocha or two to get the heart started here presently...... Can you say "struggling" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +577
    We shall be waiting with bated breath! :poop:

11. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +417

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,071
    Well I believe I did "just that", about 25 years back Lance, albeit at the ripe of age of 28, not 33.

So I guess my answer would be "YES" Lancelot and let me tell you, it certainly wasn't about making dollars either.

If that wasnt tough enough, she stopped putting out once the ring went on as well, so needless to say we had to give her the "Ol' Heave Ho" rather quickly. ;)

Can't say I'm that concerned either way about McKinnie, lets admit it, we Charger fans are definetely a little gunshy after the Marshmellow and Big Lazy debarcle's, so I'm not surprised or upset they didn't sell the Murph to get this guy.

13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    My bad... :p

It was supposed to say:

"Would a thinking person pick up their life, uproot their family, move thousands
    of miles, leave the fans that have learned to like them and begin learning a new system, at 33...
    for no gain? (or an insignificant raise?). :D

14. X FACTOR

X FACTOR In for Life.........

Ratings:
    +186
    For those who know me, prob. not many here, tomorrow starts a new life for me.
    Going to start some intensive counseling, to help get me **** straight finally. If you do not know me that well , please disregard and carry on. Wish me luck Jack, alot hangs in the balance for sure.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    I hope things work out as you envision X.

Best wishes.

16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Dude, I have no idea what the nature of the issues you're talking about is, but you're always
    one of the nicer Charger fans here, and I'm sure everyone here offers you their very best wishes.
    Do whatever you gotta do. Good luck. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  17. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,071
    Well, its only taken me 24 hours, but as they say, "All good things take time" !!! ;)

So it seems this kid has some Maori ancestry going by that pic, so that would definetely explain his size.

[​IMG]

At 6' 6", 260, he'd be tough to bring down I bet ........................be interesting to see what pans out for him.

Sounds about right that the Aussies would be "claiming" him now that he's made a name for himself.

The media down here are renowned for that ....... :rolleyes:

18. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,071
    Now you've covered your arse well ...............

Thinking was never my greatest attribute. ;)

19. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,071
    Good to hear Buddy, you can do it.

We'll be waiting to hear about a good outcome mate. :tup:

20. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,071
    Getting the same response our Coaches got out of Marshmellow Man and the Big Lazy by the look of that.

Classic stuff.

21. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,071
    You do have a nasty, dark side, don't you !!!!! :D

22. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I never knew it was something you were even capable of.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Then.... and now ;)
    [​IMG]

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    If you liked that, then you may enjoy this.......

Corgi vs Spoon:

25. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,071
    Had that exact Walkman and thats about it ..................... I have no idea what a few of those items even are. :confused:

They obviously become obsolete rather quickly though I'm guessing.

26. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,071
    That makes 2 of us then ....... :cool:

27. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I have no idea what you're talking about :D

28. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,071
    Amazing what can keep one occupied for hours on end, isn't it.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Well, starting left to right, we have the original Apple Newton (an early personal assistant tablet device). Then, a camcorder. In the middle, an early Apple laptop, and below it are a watch, and a pager. To the right of them, is one of the early cellular telephones, a Polaroid camera, and finally a Sony Walkman cassette player.

Somehow, I think you are familiar with more than just one of those items. ;)

30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    With that puppy, it's a spoon........ with you, it's your navel. :laugh:

• Informative Informative x 1