1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Okie

Okie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +102
    I think the decision to go with Woodhead over Mathews is all about attitude. The way I judge the two players is this: Woodhead would sacrifice his body for an extra yard, while Mathews pulls up to avoid a hit 5 yards downfield. Remember, Mathews had to be convinced to take a free ride to college and play ball. I don't think his heart is in the game, and McCoy sees it.

That being said, there's no excuse for not using McClain from 6 inches out. After all, he is 4 for 4 on 3rd and 1 this year.

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    Sorry, but I just can't this seriously.
    Anyone who has closely followed Mathews' career…especially this year,
    knows that "Mathews pulls up to avoid a hit" is just absurd.

You may as well have typed "Drew Brees is afraid to throw."

No letting the coaching staff off on this disaster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JAMMER

JAMMER BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +168
    Anxious to see Mccoy presser, he wont say didnt make play.... didnt call right play this one on him or hte OC

4. Okie

Okie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +102
    Being in Tennessee, I don't get to see as many games as I used to. But from what I have seen, he doesn't get the outside. He doesn't have good vision. Pass blocking isn't great. Goes down too easily at times. He is average at best, and there has been FAR better results from RBs drafted far lower than 12 overall.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +389
    He might as well use Choppie as a proxy.

6. Mister E. Mann

Mister E. Mann ShiteTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    Trust me, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm not sure there is a factual statement in your post.

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    What part of the Volunteer state?

8. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Well, the "easy" part of the season is over and we are batting .500 - looks like a "fair to middling" set of draft choices in 2014 again.

Saw a lot of strange things today.

Have a lot of questions, none of which I expect to be answered with any honesty.

Zebra's bad calls to job the Chargers is the only consistency in 2013.

9. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +389
    Dunno Dave. We're probably only a couple of injuries away from a 5-11. The race may be on for a top five pick. The problem is that there is still a host of teams that are worse than we are. Maybe another blockbuster trade with the NY Giants is in the works. We can swap Rivers and Eli back to each other and move up a couple of spots. :roflmao:

10. DFWBoltFan

DFWBoltFan Where am I?

Ratings:
    +149
    My bad. You were at the Cowboys game, which was a W.

Crap! :D

11. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +426
    I can see a difference in RM this year, he's running harder and protecting the ball better.

Just look at the 1st play for the game today #24 took 5 skins with him for about 4 yards to get the 1st down after getting hit.

Now the play calling at the gold line with two time-outs to end and win the game? unacceptable! :poop:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    A) I used to complain that RM seems reluctant to bounce it outside…until I heard McCoy miked…sounds like he's telling RM to stay inside
    B) Vision has seemed be his biggest current issue...but then, if he's being told to run "downhill" and not risk negative yards

C) Pass blocking is not great. Also not terrible at this point. Better than Gates. ;)
    D) "Goes down too easily at times." Just ridiculous. If anything, his refusal to stop churning probably was causing some of his early fumbling.
    E) If he were "average at best" he wouldn't have made the Pro Bowl. He's outperformed his 2010 draft class, including Spiller, taken ahead of Mathews.
    F) The last point is too irrational to refute. Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round
    do we say all guys drafted in rounds 1-5 must have
    "FAR better results" or risk being badmouthed by fans who watch casually, from afar?

All this other stuff (you later tacked on) is interesting, if mostly off target.

But I called b.s. on your insinuation that Mathews somehow lacks the "attitude" coaches want.
    There's well over 100 running backs in the league…name 5 that run harder, and fight going down, more than Mathews.

13. Okie

Okie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +102
    Just moved out of Knoxville up to a small mining town of Briceville. Coal Creek is my back yard, mountains are my neighbors. Absolutely beautiful view, although I could start a 3 alarm fire with all the leaves in my yard. I'll stay here until I get my acreage in Sunbright set up.

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    My grandparents had a farm in Knoxville. I used to live in Nashville (1122 Chicamunga ave) back when I was young (till about 2nd grade)

I was always told to stay out from in back of the barn because grandpas white lightning maker would electrocute me.

15. JAMMER

JAMMER BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +168
  16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    I'm pretty low right now.

Not because we're 4-4, with a roughly 14.4% chance to make the playoffs…I've seen a lot, lot worse.

But this 4-4 is much more depressing to me than many of those 6-10 seasons I suffered through…
    when any real playoff hopes were gone by the end of October. Because I was more hopeful.
    The Titan game really bothered me, because I sat and watched our new HC pursue a strategy
    that seemed destined to fail (and yes, I posted, at the time, accordingly). And I got even madder
    when McCoy basically said to expect more of the same. :mad: :poop: :mad: Today, for the second time in a month and a half,
    I watched (what seemed to me) another train wreck of an ending. This team should be 6-2,
    and I have no faith that--if this continues--the Chargers will finish better than 6-10.
    As a Charger faithful I've had to try to believe in Harland Svare, Dan Henning, Mike Riley and worse…
    but I can't remember ever feeling quite as uncomfortable with the coaching as I do now.
    It's not that I think McCoy & Whizz are bad coaches, overall…
    I just have no faith--after 2 colossal disasters in just 8 tries!!--that they can't screw up the end of any game.

That said, the 6th seed in the AFC may be unusually low-hanging fruit this year, so there is that.

Also, I kept mentioning (last night & today) that while Charger fans mostly expected to win today,
    the more objective wagering market called it…well, more objectively.
    This game, listed as a "Pick 'Em" was actually tied at the end of regulation.

So, let's gander at this again:
    Current Playoff Situation 14.4.png

and remind ourselves that, as heady as we got at 4-3, the non-Charger crowd saw our team as much, much weaker
    at the outset of the 2013 season. To them, the Chargers are quite lucky to be at .500
    ESPN Power Rankings Week 1 (a 1-16).png ESPN Power Rankings Week 1 (b 17-32).png
    bearing in mind that 24th was unusually high…Charger average ranking was #27. Hmmm…mixed messages...

17. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Anyone want a "one nasty, pissed off, easily agitated, don't look at me, beyond angry African American woman" ?

Seriously, going cheap. ;)

Well, in short (because I'm beyond farged right this minute), bitterly disappointing way to lose a game, when we somehow looked to have pulled "one out of our arse" at the death.

But hey, the 3rd Q was disgraceful, D gave up far to many yards to a very very ordinary offense all game along long.....seriously, Garçon for 172 :rolleyes:, when was the last time he actually broke 50 in a game ?

Morris is a good runner, have no problems there, knew he'd get his yards and also knew that we wouldn't be able to stop Reed at TE, nothing new there.

But how the farg do you let a bloke who's own mother doesn't know him, rush for 3 TDs ??? :confused:

Pags has gotta be under the pump, surely, I'm well aware he doesn't have what he'd like at his disposal! but come on, that performance on both Rushing and Passing was deplorable .......... Any time you give up 500 yds on any given day, you've failed and then throw in a 70% conversion rate on 3rd down efficiency in 17 attempts (that has to be some kind of record !!!!)....... And you have to wonder how we nearly were able to "steal" this game.

More later, Jackie needs to rest and stay outta DEEVs way for at least another hour or 6 ..... :cautious: ;)

18. Okie

Okie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +102
    Name 5 harder running backs? We just saw 2, Morris and Helu. Gore is a lunch pail player year after year. AD even after his knee surgery. Foster. Forte. I'll even tack on Murray, Charles, and Lynch.

As for your other points...
    A) If he were bouncing outside and getting the yards (like Turner did), coaches shut up because they look smarter that way

B) Downhill running is when that vision is most crucial to find a cutback lane. And to say a former Denver OC doesn't want a RB to find that cutback lane (even if it is outside) is ridiculous.

C) My mother is a better pass blocker than Gates, and she died 5 years ago.

D) His fumbling, from what I recall, was more from hits than strips. Especially at the goal line. He has done much better holding onto the ball, I give him that.

E) Two of the ELECTED RBs played in the SB, and a 3rd was out due to injury. Had the Pro Bowl been played after the SB as in the past, Mathews would have been sitting at home. And Spiller? Defending Mathews by comparing him to Buffalo's drafting history is a sad argument. He never should've been taken that high, and the Bills have no weapons around him.

Mathews isn't a bad RB, and he has gotten better. I just think he'd be a better backup and was a giant stretch at #12. I also think he lacks the dedication shown by Woodhead and Weddle, and that his talent is all he goes on. It's this feeling I get from him. And apparently McCoy sees something similar. Look how pissed he was when Mathews went out of bounds towards the end of the Colts game. There is something going on there that's not coming out. While I question McCoy's play calling (I figured at least McClain would get the ball in a jumbo package), the only reason for Mathews not to get the ball on a goal line situation is for the coach to have no faith in him. I figure something will end up leaking out of Chargers Park sometime down the road, and it could explain what happened today.

19. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,524
    I find it slightly ironic that after two hundred plus yard rushing performances, that the coaching staff starts treating Mathews like a leper....... curious, to say the least.

The Whizz is not the wow. ;)

20. Okie

Okie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +102
    I got a ham sandwich and a bag of chips. If you deliver, I'll even throw in a mocha.:tup:

21. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +426
    Hey Jack,
    I think now would be a good time for you to ask Miss Diva if she is worried about the house keys you gave away! :tup:

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. DFWBoltFan

DFWBoltFan Where am I?

Ratings:
    +149
    Hahahahaha!! :roflmao:

23. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    The young backup QB for the Texans is having a career night against the Colts - game went to half time and their H/C Gary Kubiak collapsed on the field as he was trying to get inside.

24. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    Wow, that is awful. I hope he is alright.

25. Okie

Okie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +102
    Suddenly our W against the Colts isn't looking as impressive:confused:

26. Okie

Okie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +102
    They said he never lost consciousness and that he's in the hospital for observation.

27. boltcorpse

boltcorpse back from the dead

Ratings:
    +119
    Oh my....

Bahhahaahahhaahahaaha! :roflmao:

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Who let the corpse in.... Havent you guys seen walking dead?

29. boltcorpse

boltcorpse back from the dead

Ratings:
    +119
    My wife likes that show... figures, as she's married to a fukkin corpse.

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    ******* Mr. Hyde back on D, eh?
    And what's with not trying to pound the ball from the 1 to win the game?
    ******* rookie HC out-thought himself there.

Ah well, it is a rebuilding year ;)