1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +426
    I agree!
    Then take into account this play ......

The only reason I give Sheli any credit is due to the fact that it ended the perfect season for the pats.:rolleyes:

2. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Guess I'm just too old - guys like Speedy Duncan, Paul Lowe, Keith Lincoln, Ernie Ladd, Gary Garrison just don't fit in y'all's memories, <sigh>. At least a couple of you remembered Bambi. :whistling:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +658
    Dave don't let these geriatrics trick you in here! Jack, Blew and I are all over 50 already while Conc is catching up fast! Pumpkin is 2000 years old in pumpkin years :whistling:

4. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Please tell me I'm misreading what he just asked !!!!!! :eek:

Ok Conc, now slowly ......... Which part of the above bolder part are you having trouble understanding ????? :roflmao:

Your cracking me up Big Fella !!!!!

5. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +426
    Yes, I am over 50 but not as old as Jack-o :laugh:

Pumpkin years go by fast!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Now see Dave, that's exactly why I proposed what I did ...... I can speak for Blitzy, Pump and myself, because I'm aware that none of us seen the above players do their thing for the Chargers, so please tell us, do they hold their own against the lets say, 80s and on players in your expert opinion ?

We've all heard the stories and see the stats etc, but not having seen them play in person makes it tough to compare......

Well aware that comparing era's is tough to do, but great players are ones that could have played in any era in my opinion ........

Indeed we are, but none of us were fans as we are these days....... I wasn't on board till the very late 70s, Pumpy followed the Rams back in the day before his lobotomy and you !!!! .......well, seeing as you didn't arrive in the US till 90 or so, would explain your lack of seeing anything from the 60's and 70's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Understood and agree .......... But not asking for you to name the BEST Chargers according to stats and comparisons ....

Who in your eyes are your favorites if that makes it simpler to comprehend....... We all have favs for different reasons, doesn't make one a better player than the other of course.

Perfect example of that would be trying to compare Gatesy and Winslow in my eyes ....... Both absolute studs of the highest order and both played the position and took it to a new level, so to say one is better than the other is in fact, impossible......... The only thing I would say that maybe gives Gatsey the very very slightest of edges would be that Winslow wasn't relied upon as much as Gates has been ........ Doesn't hurt when you play along side the likes of Joiner, and Chandler of course, whereas Gatesy has never had the talent at WR that Winslow did.

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Yep, that example perfectly illustrates the absurdity of it all. In my eyes, both Winslow and Gates redefined their position. It's just that after Winslow retired, the league forgot that TE could be a playmaking position. ;)

I couldn't choose one over the other. I watched Winslow in my younger days, so he will always hold a special position, but Gates impressive career is fresh in my mind. They are equal in greatness to me.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Absurdity !!!!!!.......wow, OK, so you've named both Winslow and Gates and Alworth and Fouts in an earlier post ........

So, who's your 5th ??????? :D

Come on, your almost there ya Lanky Git, you can do this, I know you can ...... ;)

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Seau. ;)

11. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Erumm... I was 18 when the Chargers won their only Championship...? In another month I can say I turned 50 19 years ago? Believe me, I can understand why nobody remembers Ernie Ladd absolutely DOMINATING opposing offenses like nobody else I've ever seen in lightning bolts. I think he was the reason I started paying as much attention to D-Line play as I still do today. Y'all probably do remember Louie, known as the absolute strongest NFL player of his era, (and yes Jack, they could both have played against today's players). Paul Lowe was a natural - put the ball in his hands and watch what happens, he just needed a coach who recognized him for what he was... He returned the opening kickoff in the Chargers first ever exhibition game 105 yards for a TD - my dad and I were there up in LA. Speedy Duncan was also special at corner back, and in my opinion - we didn't have one that could compare with him until drafting Gill Byrd in the 1st round many years later...

Philip Rivers is my all time favorite at Chargers QB - next would have to be Dan Fouts who, with the Coaching of Don Coryell restored respectability to the Chargers offense in the late 70's after a loooooong dry spell of my hardest years to continue as a Bolts fan. PR would have to be in my top five regardless of having seen so many great players come through. Junior was special too. Rodney fell off when he went to "better living through chemistry" as a Pat. I haven't forgot nor forgiven that, but I will never forgive the bastards that released them from being Chargers either.

No need for drugs as a Chargers fan - the highs are astronomical, and the lows are rock damn bottom. Its always been that way. Now where the hell is that Nose Tackle I've been begging for? <whine>

Oh - and LT was our greatest running back - but the one who should have retired 3 years before he did.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +426
    ^^^^^ CD, Thanks for that post above very enjoyable read! :tup: ^^^^^

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Not Natrone Means....... or Chuck Muncie? ;)

14. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +658
    Natrone was an elephant back with extremely quick feet for a big man. Beathard farged up that situation and we saw how Means had a second wind with the Jags and when he came back to the Chargers for a second stint, he was done for already. I didn't watch Muncie, but from what I've heard he was a Means plus type of bruiser.

I agree with Charger Dave that LT should have hung it up a bit earlier and preferably in the Chargers uni, but not so sure about 3 years earlier. You on the other hand, still have a bone to pick with LT as you are a grudge bearing curmudgeon ;)

15. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Well blow me down with a feather !!!!!! :eek:

We are identical .......

OK, so Hells frozen over, what's next ????

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,247
    If you are talking all time fave Chargers, ya short winded bastige... Then...

1) Jr. Seau
    2) LT
    3) Rivers
    4) Gill Byrd
    5) Daren Bennett

17. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Not in my opinion, nor apparently in that of Gil Brandt...

18. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    ~~~

Any doubt that Mike Tolbert was one of our finest backup RBs?

~~~

I'm sure all y'all remember 2 time pro bowler Marion Butts? I know he played when you could watch him.

19. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089

No see, that's exactly what I was after ........:tup: bravo Sire !!!!

I would never question any fan who had the opportunity to witness firsthand the likes of Ladd, Lowe, Lincoln, Mix, Sweeney, Garrison, Duncan, Faison and also guys I did see a little, albeit towards the end of their careers, such as Big Hands, Macek, White and the one and only Louie Kelcher.

Those guys are all worthy of mention in any "best Charger list" no doubt.

Couldn't agree with you more in regard to Harrison and also Junior ........ I still hold a grudge against the FO for letting those 2 go when they did, just showed me how clueless they were when it came to evaluating talent, something that has continued for far to many years, as your well aware from my posts over the last half dozen years or so ...... As far as "that" NT goes !!!!!........ Me got lucky and grabbed lightning in a bottle and took it for granted with Jamal, we'll be fortunate to ever see that again in our lifetime unfortunately, but fingers crossed that someone in that FO realizes sooner rather than later, that a dominant NT should be a hugeeeeeee priority for this club if it wants to seriously contend anytime soon.

Lovely to see how many now agree that LT stayed to long .......... It certainly did upset me at the time as it showed a side of him that we hadn't been privy to before ........ I will never back an individual over the team and it did diminish my admiration for the guy back then .....

But that's history now, doesn't take away from the many many pleasures he provided me with over the journey, he was special, no doubt about it.

Interesting that you have Rivers that high on your list and only you among us have seen them all .......

I love Rivers, I truly do, he was the only thing worth tuning in to watch for a few years there and even though he had a couple of down years, the guys competitiveness is on a par with Seau and that's the highest honor I could afford him ........ Love his arm, love his never say die attitude and still to this day wouldn't have traded him for Sheli or Big Ben, to me he's just a better around player, regardless of what the record books may say.

We'll goes as far as he takes us, it's that simple, now if the FO can just surround him with a few players who want it as badly as he does, we'll be in business. ;)

20. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089

You can read !!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    What about Little Train?......... ;)

22. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Who let CONC into the liqueur cabinet ??????????? :confused:

(I jest ofcourse) ....interesting collection there, I'll comment when I get home from work shortly.

23. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089

He was a favorite of mine BLEW ......loved that little Corksoaker !!!! :tup:

"Toot Toot ............coming through !!!!"

Here's some great memories ( and couple of Gary Anderson runs also)

Man !!!!!!!!!!!!....... almost 30 years ago !!!! :eek: :eek:

WOW, I now feel like :poop: :(

Time to quit with the reminising before I become more depressed. :cry:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    We have had a few decent backs in Chargers history..... no doubt about that.

25. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    First Little Train James, then Darren Sproles - those were a pair of treats for Chargers fans all over. Entertaining to the nth degree, proving that height isn't really the end-all be-all of football players and that heart is far more important than GMs dream. Neither would be among my "top 5 Chargers RBs of all time" list - but you can bet your sweet bippy that both would be in my top 15. BTW, I loved John Cappelletti too - hardly among OUR all time greats, but just a wonderful guy - wish to hell we had got him at the start of his career rather than the end - same for Johny U, he wasn't great for the Bolts but still a legendary football player and one of my wife's all time favorites.

Over the years we've had bad luck with aging players who came to us "long in the tooth", so I am hoping against hope that Dwight Freeney can reverse that trend, like Roman Oben did for us on the O-Line some years back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,247
    There is a liqueur cabinet ?

27. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Only for guys who put Aussie special teamers on their all time favorites list. <evil grin>

~~~

Edited: Seriously, Darren Bennett was, in fact, our greatest punter at the time and would have been on par with Ray Guy back in the day, especially with that reverse-spin thing, and "The Rocket". :D I really like him today as a radio personality and wish to hell we had him as a permanent color commentator on the radio with Hank finally doing play-by-play instead of the punk-*** they have now. He just makes stuff up as he goes along and waits for Hank to say what really happened. Shitcan his bung I say! :cautious::devilish::mad:

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,247
    Bennett was a tackler andhe wasthe first punter to put the reverse spin on the ball. A great bloke too...

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089

I seen that Blitzy, what the farg you laughing at ????

I think that pic above, flatters Pumpy to be honest, he wishes he looked that good !!!! ;)

30. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    God your a Suck !!! .....................when have you ever "thanked me" for all I've given you over the years ????? :giggle: