1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,406
    We have had a few decent backs in Chargers history..... no doubt about that.

2. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +1,017
    First Little Train James, then Darren Sproles - those were a pair of treats for Chargers fans all over. Entertaining to the nth degree, proving that height isn't really the end-all be-all of football players and that heart is far more important than GMs dream. Neither would be among my "top 5 Chargers RBs of all time" list - but you can bet your sweet bippy that both would be in my top 15. BTW, I loved John Cappelletti too - hardly among OUR all time greats, but just a wonderful guy - wish to hell we had got him at the start of his career rather than the end - same for Johny U, he wasn't great for the Bolts but still a legendary football player and one of my wife's all time favorites.

Over the years we've had bad luck with aging players who came to us "long in the tooth", so I am hoping against hope that Dwight Freeney can reverse that trend, like Roman Oben did for us on the O-Line some years back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    There is a liqueur cabinet ?

4. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,017
    Only for guys who put Aussie special teamers on their all time favorites list. <evil grin>

~~~

Edited: Seriously, Darren Bennett was, in fact, our greatest punter at the time and would have been on par with Ray Guy back in the day, especially with that reverse-spin thing, and "The Rocket". :D I really like him today as a radio personality and wish to hell we had him as a permanent color commentator on the radio with Hank finally doing play-by-play instead of the punk-*** they have now. He just makes stuff up as he goes along and waits for Hank to say what really happened. Shitcan his bung I say! :cautious::devilish::mad:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Bennett was a tackler andhe wasthe first punter to put the reverse spin on the ball. A great bloke too...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,054

I seen that Blitzy, what the farg you laughing at ????

I think that pic above, flatters Pumpy to be honest, he wishes he looked that good !!!! ;)

7. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    God your a Suck !!! .....................when have you ever "thanked me" for all I've given you over the years ????? :giggle:

8. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    You all know how I feel about Chucky ................... :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

But there's a difference in loving a player for certain reasons and rating their performance in regards to what they contributed to the overall team performance.

Chuckie was explosive, an absolute beast who hurt defensive backs when they attempted to tackle, similar to Earl and Walter in style .........................but his inner demons were always his biggest battles and never allowed him to show his full potential.....the ultimate, "Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda guy" if you will, but Man, the little I seen of him is still very vivid, even in this failing memory of mine.

9. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    That's a tough list by Gil ..................

Walter, Rice and Montana are still the greatest players I've witnessed play the game live ...................have no doubt Jim Brown would have probably been on that list if I'd had the pleasure to see him in action back in the day.

10. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Hell yeah, Buttsy was a tough as nails, straight ahead type.................mind you, being built like an outback schizenhousen helped his cause no end.

What was he ?.............. 6' 1" , 250 Ibs !!!! :eek: ....................no wonder he skittled peeps, he was rounder than Tolbert for cryin' out loud ! :confused:

We have had some bruisers carry the pigskin, haven't we !

Tolbert was useful, no doubt, played his role well

I'll give you a name from the past that I don't recall being a "backup RB", but apparently was .............

Gary Anderson !!!!

Must still to this day rank as one of the alltime great Charger Touchdown's, remember watching this game and thinking...... "That dude just sprouted wings" :eek:

Had a gorgeous running style, upright and super quick and soft hands also, too bad he couldn't have played when originally signed in '83, he could have been anything.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  11. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,017
    The wife and I were up at the L.A. Coliseum to watch an exhibition game between the (then) Los Angeles Faiders and our beloved Bolts. About the only good thing that happened that day was I got to see Marion Butts score his first TD in Lightning Bolts. Short yardage situation at the goal line - Buttsie carried not only the defensive line, but half of our O-Line into the end zone. I said right there he was going to make the final cut. :D

We had picked up Jim McMahon as one of our QBs - turned out Heidi and I were setting next to his Mom.

12. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Still up ???.......... Cool.

No shite, thats awesome ..............Hell, I loved McMahon, was really hoping he'd do OK as a Bolt.

He was a cocky SOB, but he walked the walk and backed it up, so that was cool with me ......

Sad to hear of his health problems these days..............FARG, the guy is only 8 months older than me, scary shite that dementia.

13. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054

hahahahahahaha, NOT even I went there !!!!! :D

"Reverse spin thingy" = know as a "Drop Punt" in Aussie Rules terms.....................simple kick and most common, especially in todays game ............... others back in the day included Torpedo Punt (Spiral to you guys), Drop Kick and the Stab Pass .......................the last 2 have gone the way of the dinosaur and havent been seen since the 70's unfortunately.

Bennett was no doubt a pioneer who deserves his place in Charger folklore .................another who redefined the position and has paved the way for a shipload of fellow Aussies to give the game a go.

Top bloke, I try and catch up with him and say Hi when in town at a game.

14. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    There was !!! ..................................but Ringo stole it all, along with his Bat & Ball, when he spat the Dummy [​IMG] and cracked the :poop:'s. :laugh:

15. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054

hehehehehehehe, you Yanks love that a Punter was willing to actually get involved on a tackle if necessary, aren't you !

We find that so funny, because contact is such an integral part of the game he came from, it was a no brainer for him, though I'm sure Marty and whoever was the ST's coach back in those days weren't overly impressed. :)

http://www.chargers.com/multimedia/videos/Darren-Bennett/72975198-8dad-4efa-9af2-404d30235ae3

nothing like a good "coathanger" to stop a man in his tracks !!!! ;)

16. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I was gonna say that Little Train was the 80's version of Sprolesy, very similar types in style, fo shizzle and nothing beats seeing a "short arse" make big tough dudes look like tackling dummies when duked out of their boots.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,406
    Liking what I'm hearing about the rook.....

Chris Watt gains comfort with starters
    By Michael Gehlken

Chris Watt is coming along. He can tell.

When the rookie guard hears a play call or sees a defensive alignment, he processes it quicker than he did in the spring. His technique once a play begins is more advanced, too. Footwork, for example, was too flat a few months ago on outside zone run plays. Those steps recently have been more on point.

Watt looks more comfortable in training camp.

It is not by accident.

The Chargers third-round pick worked predominately with the starters at right guard the past two practices. While too much can be made of such reps in July, there is no discounting what Watt has done with them. The former three-year starter at Notre Dame has shown the mental makeup to handle the transition to the NFL, a trend that can continue Wednesday when the team returns to the field.

Players were given an off-day Tuesday.

The 2:50 to 5 p.m. practice, closed to the general public, is open to select season-ticket holders.

"He played in a lot of big games in college, obviously, coming from where he came from, so it doesn’t surprise us at all," coach Mike McCoy said of Watt's development. "We’re going to move guys around, mix guys up in that lineup and let them work together, but he’s a smart young player that’s worked extremely hard, and he’s done everything that (position coaches) Joe (D'Alessandris) and Andrew (Dees) have asked up to this point in time."

Watt said Monday he planned to make the most of the off-day

While a veteran can afford to shut things down, he sought to balance the need for rest with refining his game. He studied film on his iPad, focusing first on his technique. Then, he monitored how center Nick Hardwick and backup Rick Ohrnberger handled various defensive looks.

"I want to make sure I'm on the same page as them because those guys are so great at what they do," Watt said. "I'm trying to pick their brain as much as I can right now."

Watt is learning center as well as right guard.

With the latter, he and Johnnie Troutman are competing to be the first option off the bench. That could mean starting the Sept. 8 season opener should right guard Jeromey Clary, on the active Physically Unable to Perform List following hip surgery, be unavailable. Clary said last week he "definitely" believes he'll be back for the game while acknowledging that a tight window allows minimal room for a setback.

Watt wants to continue to earn confidence from coaches.

Coming back Wednesday a better player than when he left Monday, he knows, can only help.

"Especially for a rookie, they want to see that improvement every day," Watt said. "I'm just trying to do that as much as possible."

• Like Like x 2
  18. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +416
    Don't worry Jack!

I bet even you, will someday come up the post worthy of sucking up!

No rush I'm only been waiting five years! :D

19. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,017
    Setting here contemplating Pumpy talking about "post worthy of sucking up" and decided to STFU. ;)

20. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +416
    Charger Dave anything from you would only be a complement!

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,406
    John Harbaugh: I’m proud of Ray Rice for how he’s handled it

And here I thought Jim was the crazy one. :rolleyes:

That whole family must be bat :poop:.

22. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I would suggest to you Dear Pumpy .......

Don't hold your breath !!!!! :D

23. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    With age comes wisdom, as you have just displayed !!!! :tup:

24. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Let's be honest ......... There was always a fairly good chance that all the siblings have inherited similar genes.

No surprise to me at all what these "enablers" today will do or say to protect their own.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,406
    How he's handled what?........ a slap on the wrist suspension? Yeah, Rice has shown uncommon valor in dealing with the fact that he's an abuser of women.

A true credit to his franchise. I can see why the Ravens are all rallying behind him. :speechless:

26. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054

Huh ??? [​IMG]

Not sure what this post is all about !!! [​IMG]

I was saying that Harbaugh is nothing but a scumbag for even trying to defend trash like Rice ...............end of story.

Guess you didn't see my post regarding Dodgy and his suspension a few days ago ?

That whole situation doesn't have anything to do with football ..................how Rice isn't behind bars is the question people should be asking, forget anything to do with farging football, it's irrelevant in regards to the initial incident.

27. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    PUMPY !!!!

Whenever you're feeling down and out, a little bit in the doldrums, just remember this ................

Be Thankful you aren't this fargtard !!!!

[​IMG]

Signed, your friend Jack !! :tup:

Just seen him on Sportscenter and I crackup whenever I see this dood ................ words haven't been invented yet to fully do this guy justice...............

But I guess I should go a little easy on him..........................afterall, being the spawn of Good Ol' Al was always going to end bad, wasn't it !!! :roflmao:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  28. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054

I just know if I try hard enough I can translate this into English somehow !!!! :roflmao:

Farg I love you Man !!! :tup:

• Creative Creative x 1
  29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,406
    I was referring to the headline, rather than your response to the situation. I was being sarcastic about how well Rice handled the situation. Harbaugh is a first class jackass and enabler.

Just when I think Goodell can't sink any lower, he does. How's he coming along on the Irsay suspension? Not holding my breath on that one. :rolleyes:

30. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Only thing Sugar Ray "handled" was his stooopid Fiance/now Missus with a right cross to the piehole, 'cause thats what tough guys do !!!
    Its OK though, they deserve each other, so hopefully that means they just beat on each other until Ray Ray's final contract is safely signed and she figure's the well is running dry before taking him for half and running off with one of Justin Bieber's bouncer's. (although she could end up with Munny Mayweather first)

Did you see that wanker handing out $100 bills to fans at TC the other day ??? .....................is there a competition among Owners to see who can out "cra-cra" Jerrah ?????? :confused:

Are you forgetting who pay's Dodgy's mortgage ?

Zilch will happen to Irsay or any "fine" is basically taken out of Dodgy's paycheck anyway. ;)