1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Gaither's history of back issues does deserve some exploration. I'd like to know just how many games he was sidelined with this problem previously.

2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Yep, you gotta wonder if the notion that he was 'lazy' was due to back issues that he kept quiet.

3. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +1,017
    Something tells me there will be another "dead soldier" of Islay laying next to FC's chair tonight. ;)

4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    No way, gotta get up early to go to kid's pre-6th grade beginner's band concert. That alone will limit me to 5 glasses of single malt (max!)

5. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,017
    If those are 10/12 oz glasses, you better get out that other bottle. :D

Know what you mean about the importance of such events to 6th graders, went through it with my own kids, and how half of THEIR kids. ;)

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Don't forget the ear plugs....... #imjustsaying ;)

7. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Ah middle school plays concerts etc...Can't say I miss em now but were precious ! Always hated the parent teacher conferences though waste of my time as both my girls did well!

8. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Nothing wrong with girls doing well. Most of us would attest to that. But Pumpy's kid can run a pro style offense from the comfort of the sofa. I bet you can't beat that! :D

9. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +416
    Good call Sandy! lol ;)

Sent from my iPhone

10. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Cheers sir!

11. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,017
    Well, saw everything I needed to see out of our 1st and 2nd round picks from this year's draft. That part was fun to watch!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    I carry, one broken collar bone. Great start for Mathews. :rolleyes:

13. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +521
    It's not as if he was not often hurt even during his college days :rolleyes:
    In any case, looks like the Chargers are gonna do that RB by committee scheme, but not having a reliable LT replacement (pun intended) may hamper the concept of putting it all on Philip ;)

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    For a UDFA rookie, Harris didn't look bad. He's got really long arms for his size, which is a plus.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Novak made the most of his opportunity.

Looks like Pumpkin will get another season of Nate. :tup:

16. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +416
    :poop::poop::poop: made my night! :mad:

17. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    AJ really went on a great run there didn't he? So finally this year, he totally changes his m.o. while under duress regarding his job status, but it had nothing to do with Dean (according to the AJ homers anyway...)

Let's hope he keeps acquiring players the way he did this year. We go back to the 2007-2011 nonsense, and the team will get nowhere.

I'll give him props for udfas though. Frankly, I think we could get through the season with Brinkley. Dude reminds me of MT. Throw him in with Brown and McClain and it's good enough.

18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Holy ****, 1st preseason game and that's it for posts in this thread? Did Jack get stuck with his wick in the spaghetti jar?

Ingram looks like he's going to get after the qb. I saw English yukking it up on the sideline after his what? 5 snaps played? Gruden was high on Reyes, but Gruden's just plain fargin high. Reyes looked good for 1st game, but let's wait and see. Liuget continues to not impress. The Run D looked pretty damn good in the 1st quarter. Bigby gives solid effort. Where was Gilchrist? Must be injured. Our CBs aren't looking like they're going to be a whole helluva lot better than last year, but if we get Johnson, Ingram, and Barnes reeking havoc, that shouldn't matter. The starting DL looks solid, but they need to lose Cesaire, and Liuget's time is limited. Clary averageness is going to be an issue, but the rest of the starting OL was surprisingly good with a rookie udfa LT (given, it was ps game #1 for the other team too). Gates is back. That'll be huge.

I guess I can pick up Mathews in the 10th round of ff draft this year.
    btw Pump, what are you thinking? After ps games are over? Wouldn't want to draft a Bolt before the end of TC with the injury bug again running rampant...

Anyway, #BoltsSBW2013

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Did you see the 4x400 relay guy today who broke his leg? I thought that was odd, but then I heard that he had fallen on the stairs earlier, so he must've had a hairline fracture already.

That made me think about Mathews....... one carry and then a broken collar bone. Pretty terrible luck it would seem. But what if he had a hairline fracture from his car accident. If that was the case, then all it took was one good collision to break the bone through. Just a passing thought.

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
  21. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Could be. Who knows? The guy has been injury prone since college. AJ rolled the dice on that and lost.
    But I don't think it impacts the Chargers season that much. They've acquired enough decent backs through FA to keep opposing defenses honest.

22. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +416

What day would you like to draft? 8/31, 9-01?

that 4th perseason game not much too see........

23. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    true enough. starters get 2 drives max. Course a couple plays was enough for Mathews, so maybe hold off until after that game.

24. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Oh shite............guess who forgot all about setting the TV for the game today ???????

Hope you basticles have discussed what happened in here at least, can't say I'm overly perturbed about it though, preseason just doesn't do a thing for me anymore, unless theirs an injury to a starter or something along those lines.

So little is given away these days by coaches it really is a waste of 4 weeks to be honest.

25. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Tell me your joking !!!!!!!!

26. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    The main point is to cut the roster to 53, sort out the depth chart, and get the starters wheels greased.
    Also it's good to see the rookies in action. Ingram looks ******* good. Dude gets after it. Also good to see the new FAs in action--Bigby is a ******* gamer.

27. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054

game started at 10 am here, what you want me to do ? .......and anyway, as stated earlier, I completely forgot about it when I woke this morning . Mind you, I was up at 4 to watch the Olympics and see the 800 and 200 Finals.....spectacular stuff both of them.

Then I get to work and go to pick up the truck from getting a service and it's nowhere to be found......turns out that the brakes in it were so bad, the mechanics refused to let it out of the shop ........ Hahahahahahaha, wait till I see the kid who normally drives that piece of shite on Monday, is he getting an earful.

So with all that happening, I totally forgot to call home later and get the tape rolling at 10am.......no biggie.

Thank Gawd for Ringo or I wouldn't have known a damn thing from the game........good job mate.

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Have you ever know me to kid?

The olympic girls aside. ;)

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,401
    Mathews out 4-6 weeks with broken clavicle

A five-yard Ryan Mathews run will carry into the regular season.

The Chargers running back suffered a broken clavicle on the third offensive play of Thursday night's 21-13 preseason win against the Packers. He is expected to miss four to six weeks and will have surgery Friday, coach Norv Turner said.

The exhibition had its highs, including rookie outside linebacker Melvin Ingram's impressive debut, but the start was the clear low.

Mathews' injury could linger a couple weeks into the season, a test for a roster that had its depth bolstered in the offseason.

Turner called it “part of the game.”

“That's why Ronnie Brown's here,” Turner said. “I think you're going to have situations where you're not going to have everybody. That's what I've been talking about since April after the draft and after we signed these players, we've protected ourselves in those situations.

“If someone goes down, we have answers. We have guys who can step in and go.”

Mathews is entering his third year in the NFL.

He's had his strongest offseason, earning praise from coaches and teammates for his work ethic and strides in his game, both physical and mental.

Some players learned of the injury's severity with the locker room thinning.

“It's very unfortunate,” cornerback Antoine Cason said. “It sucks. This is the first time I'm hearing about it. All I can say is it's unfortunate for a guy with so much potential. He's been working his butt off. That's all he can ask of himself, to hold himself accountable for us and for himself.”

Mathews, a first-round pick in 2010, had 222 carries, 1091 yards and six touchdowns in 14 games last year. He also caught 50 passes for 455 yards.

“It's just unfortunate,” Rivers said. “His first carry of the season. He'll stay strong. We'll keep him strong and upbeat because I know how excited he was about the season. He was openly commenting about how excited he was and how hard he's trained. He'll still bounce back and have a great year.

“As soon as he's healthy and ready, he'll get back out there.”

Thursday was Ingram's NFL debut.

His arms stretch out to 31 1/2 inches.

That was too short to impress NFL draft experts in April but long enough to beat an offensive tackle, force an MVP quarterback into an interception, and prompt double teams at Qualcomm Stadium.

Like rookie minicamp, like OTAs, like minicamp, like training camp, the No. 18 pick was sharp, starting in place of outside linebacker Jarret Johnson (hamstring) and playing into the third quarter.

Ingram's forced interception of Aaron Rodgers — Cason caught the wobbler — was one of five turnovers in THE first half.

On fourth-and-2 late in the first quarter, Ingram broke past Packers tackle Herb Taylor's outside shoulder, burst toward Rodgers and, with outstretched arms, decked Rodgers to disrupt his throwing motion.

“He brings a physical presence,” Turner said. “He's brought it from the first day he got here. He showed up at a high level when we put pads on. He's learning, so I think he's more comfortable with what we're doing. He's going to even be more physical and more explosive.”

30. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Forgot the STs:
    Novak, as Blitz mentioned, is done. Looked nervous and farged a 35 yarder.
    Scifres is unreal.
    The K and P coverage was really good. Lots of good youngsters trying to make a mark: Cattouse, Elmore, Wright stood out.
    Stuckey was on STs too but did he even make it into the D scheme? Looked like Corey Lynch has gotten past him on the depth chart.
    Harris was very good at LOT. On the other hand, Bell made Clary look like an all-pro. After that performance, practice squad at best unless he improves fast. Seen some people trashing Henderson, but I didn't see any obvious mistakes from him.
    If I'm a coach, I get Garay, Franklin, and Martin on the line and let the LBs kick ***. Weird that baby zilla didn't come on until late in the first half. He got owned near the end zone on one play but came back and played solid (against 3rd stringers, but hey, he's our boy ;))