1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv: a slow starter/strong finisher?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bergo23, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I have no idea how his teams did in Washington....but his two Charger teams seem like slow starters....both in games and in the season as a whole.

Any Washington data to back this observation up? I know teams often take on the personality on their coach.

2. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Slow starter/ strong finisher? ask his wife.

(had to be done)

• Like Like x 1
  3. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    For my sanity sake, I am going to agree with the title of this thread.

4. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    We have been slow starters since before Norv got here

In our last 4 winning seasons we are 5-7 in Sep. (not including this year) by my count (with the only winning september being 2007 were we were 2-0 against the Raiders and the Titans before having an early bye)

IN all other months we are 41-11.

We have only been better than 3-2 after 5 games once (2006 in which we were 4-1 before losing the next week).

In the second halves of the last 4 seasons we are 26-6.

This team always comes on late. I just hope that they don't think they can just throw on a switch.

We get in the W column this week :tup:

5. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
  6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

They were horrible and his play calling WAS the reason.

Now I'm not saying he can't get it done here but that was the reason many people didn't understand AJ's decision.
    His resume as a head coach was about as impressive as Chevy Chase's as a night show host.

7. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205

True, but it's good to think of Norv as casually carrying on the tradition as opposed to the latter.

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Our slow start is due to the way Training camp and the exhibish are conducted. You play the way you train. This team doesn't acquire a sense of urgency until the leaky pipe defense finally begins to flood the basement. Part of THIS slow start may have been the lousy first half defense, but the fact is Ed Hochuli handed this game to Denver on a silver platter. The NFL ref system needs a house cleaning and a revamping to full time. Last year we started out 1-3, but we are in a position to be 4-2 in the next month.

9. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    :icon_rofl:

10. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'd rather be a slow starter/strong finisher than a strong starter/slow or NO finisher like Marty was.......:no:

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We'd better hope so.

Here's Norv in DC:

3-13 , 2-6 at halfway mark

6-10, 3-5 at halfway mark

9-7, 7-1 at halfway mark

8-7-1, 4-4 at halfway mark

6-10, 1-7 at halfway mark

10-6, 5-3 at halfway mark

And in Oakland:

5-11, 2-6 at halfway mark

4-12, 3-5 at halfway mark

62.5% of the time Norv-led clubs are below .500 at mid-season. I other year they were at .500. Last year we were 4-4 through 8. So I guess an argument can be made that he's a slow starter - but he isn't a particularly strong finisher, either. Last year was his best second half & post season run.

All I know is that the O is looking pretty good & the D is stinking it up.

12. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Thanks for posting that Buck. The one that stood out about Norv last year was how the team began to respond at the end. I think his damn team would have run through a wall for him, and nearly did. They were hopelessly outmanned due to injuries but upset Indy and nearly got to meet Sheli in the Super Bowl with a strong effort against the Patsies...BOTH on the road.

I'm not sure about his skills at getting a team properly prepared, I think Bobby Ross was a master at that but if Norv hopes to succeed, he'd be wise to start treating EVERY game like a play-off game.