1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv blessed with offensive options

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Nick Canepa »
    New toys for Norv Turner

Like any 60-year-old kid with a vivid imagination, Norv Turner needed some things to play with. He wanted toys. So Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith went shopping at the FAO Schwarz in NFL Free Agent Mall, grabbed all the expensive novelties his budget would allow, dumped them into his head coach’s room and said: “Here, son. Have a ball. Just don’t break anything.”

And it isn’t as though the man who runs the Chargers offense was given too many playthings to handle at once. Norv knows what to do with them. And if all goes well — ifs, as in health, play huge parts here — this could be the most exciting offense we’ve seen around here since Air Coryell was pulled out of the hangar.

I like the way this offense sets up, because it has the possibility of being so versatile, attacking from many different spots with athleticism, strength, size and speed. We may see a few things here we haven’t seen before if all comes together as Norv believes it can— and should.

Let’s look into the toy box.

Tight ends.
    When Antonio Gates is healthy, he’s the best. He’s healthy again. Randy McMichael is a rock. Turner loved Dante Rosario. Smith got him Rosario. No tight end in the draft with so much size could run like Ladarius Green. Smith got Green.

Running backs.
    To complement Ryan Mathews, Smith went versatile with veterans Le’Ron McClain (tailback/fullback), Ronnie Brown, who could excite as a third-down back (and he can run the wildcat) and Jackie Battle, who can also help on special teams. Curtis Brinkley last year showed promise. I don’t believe Mike Tolbert will be missed — nowhere near as much as Darren Sproles.

Receivers.
    The big-ticket item, Vincent Jackson, went for Buccaneers booty, but Smith countered with fast, proven toys. In came Eddie Royal, Robert Meachem, Roscoe Parrish and Michael Spurlock to blend in with Malcom Floyd, Vincent Brown and Richard Goodman.

Quarterbacks.
    Philip Rivers. If you’re a churchgoer, light candles, say novenas and pray for his good health.

The possibilities seem without end. And Turner is thrilled with his gifts — not just kid Norv, but mad scientist Norv, trying to mix and match all these explosive chemicals in a very short period of time.

“I’m excited about it; when you have guys who can do something different, it invigorates you,” Turner was saying Monday in his office while his players had a day off from training camp. “Over the past four years Philip has led the league in yards per attempt. Obviously, this is a big-play team and we’re going to find ways to get different people involved.”

The tight ends are intriguing, because there will be times when defenses gang up on Gates and Norv will have more than one on the field, perhaps three at times.

“We’re getting more and more comfortable with these guys,” Turner said, “and each of them brings something different. Rosario has great body control and runs the seam route well. If teams decide to double Gates, Rosario’s going to get some looks.

“With Royal in the slot, with Gates and Rosario, with Brown out of the backfield, it’s going to be harder to concentrate on Gates. We have to take advantage of it. Taking nothing away from Tolbert, who caught more than 50 balls for us, but when he was singled-up because of the way people played Gates, we didn’t get the big plays out of him we did with Sproles. I know Ronnie Brown is going to make big plays because he has the ability to make the first tackler miss.”

And don’t forget Brown all but invented the wildcat in Miami. Norv won’t be afraid to use it.
    “We got some big plays out of the wildcat with LT and Sproles,” he said. “It’s not something we’re going to major in, but if we run it four-five times a game, it isn’t going to take anything away from Philip, and it’s something defenses have to prepare for.”

And Royal will give Norv the dangerous slot receiver he hasn’t had here.

“Eddie reminds me of Henry Ellard (13,777 career yards receiving; Turner’s slot with the Rams and ’Skins),” Norv said. “He has great change of direction, he’s very smooth and he runs faster than he looks; he can get deep. It’s going to be exciting watching him.”

Of course everything must come together, and it must come together quickly. These toys look good. They must be good to play with.

“You can get enamored with all this,” Norv cautioned. “You’ve got to get people in position to make plays — and we’ve already done a lot — but they have to be good at it; they have to execute. I’m hoping we can get into a rhythm. When we’re at our best, we’ll run the ball and make explosive plays in the passing game.”

None of it will matter if the Chargers turn the ball over as they did in 2011.

“What we’re working on now is protecting the ball,” Turner said. “Ball security. Philip has thrown one interception the first four days. He’s very conscious of it. If our drives end with a touchdown, field goal or punt, we’re going to be real good. If we turn the ball over at midfield, we won’t be.

“I’m realistic. The influx of players we have is great, but they haven’t been together long. Philip has been throwing to Gates and Floyd a long time; he knows where they are. He has to get the same feeling with Meachem and Royal and everybody else.

“What I like best is all the guys we’ve brought in have known success. They have a great work ethic and high expectations. They know how to perform.”

Another great “Toy Story.” I think.

nick.canepa@utsandiego.com

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I like our offensive weapons as well.

Too bad Canepa fancies himself a writer though. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    This makes the Virginia Tech homer in me very excited. Combined with a QB like Rivers, Royal is going to add another dimension to this offense.

CHARGERS: Royal looks forward to playing in pass-friendly offense
    [​IMG]

STF

Chargers wide receiver Eddie Royal. AP file photo

SAN DIEGO — On March 13, media reports surfaced that free agent wide receiver Eddie Royal had agreed to terms with the Washington Redskins.
    It seemed like a natural fit considering Royal was a native of the D.C. suburbs in northern Virginia and had previously played under Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan as a rookie for the Denver Broncos in 2008 when he had a career-high 91 receptions.
    The media reports proved to be false.
    Two days later, the Chargers swooped in and inked Royal to a three-year, $13.5 million contract with $6 million in guaranteed money. Royal said the opportunity to catch passes from Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers was too enticing to pass up.
    "At the end of the day, it felt right," said Royal, who played with Denver from 2008-11. "I knew was coming to play with a Pro Bowl quarterback. I knew it was the right thing to do."
    The Chargers added depth at wide receiver just days after Pro Bowler Vincent Jackson signed a five-year, $55.56 million contract with Tampa Bay.
    For Royal, it was a chance to maximize his talents in a more receiver-friendly offense. In 2011, Royal was underutilized in a run-heavy Broncos offense that compiled the fewest passing attempts (429) of any NFL team.
    Royal wound up with career lows in both receptions (19) and receiving yards (155). In his final seven regular-season games, Royal had more rushing attempts (seven) than catches (five) with running quarterback Tim Tebow taking the snaps behind center.
    Now Royal is thrilled about playing in Chargers head coach Norv Turner's offense which is known for its vertical passing routes that stretch the field.
    "Receivers want to catch long passes and make big plays," said Royal, 26. "They do that a lot in this offense, and I am excited about that."
    The Chargers plan to use Royal primarily in the slot with receivers Malcom Floyd and fellow free-agent acquisition Robert Meachem flanked on the outside.
    But don't expect Royal's duties to be limited to those of a No. 3 receiver. The 5-foot-10, 185-pound Virginia Tech alumnus is an all-purpose player who can impact a game in many facets.
    In his four-year career, Royal has a combined three kickoff/punt returns for touchdowns and has averaged a robust 8.8 yards per carry in 25 career rushing attempts. His longest career run is 71 yards.
    "Stature wise, he is a small guy, but he's so explosive and so elusive," said Chargers tight end Dante Rosario, who played with Royal in Denver last year. "He finds holes against zone defenses. He's extremely difficult to cover one-on-one. He adds a different explosive element to this offense."
    Royal, who played under four different starting quarterbacks in Denver, is content to be working with a stable presence under center in Rivers.
    "It's been great because he is very detailed in what he does," Royal said. "He lets us know exactly what he wants on each play. That's great for me. That's great for any receiver. He's an accurate quarterback and he's a leader."
    While the jury is still out on whether Royal can match Jackson's production, he is already making an impact in the Chargers' locker room, according to wide receiver Roscoe Parrish.
    Turner cited Royal as one of the veterans who has left a positive impression on the team's rookies with his work ethic and preparation routine in team meetings.
    "Just out here in practice today, he was looking at film from yesterday," said second-year wide receiver Vincent Brown. "He gave me some pointers and tips to help me out already."

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Time to unleash a very deadly underneath game with blazing speed. River's is going to have a regular smorgasbord of wide open guys to choose from and Ryanna should see plenty of daylight in return. Pick your poison NFL.

5. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I think Royal is one of the more underrated pickups of free agency across the whole league to be honest.

Proven return man, the kind of receiving option we've missed since we had Sproles, and yet another target who commands consistent attention. While we don't have the star power we may have had out there with VJ, we have more weapons. Double teaming Gates will leave one of Floyd, Meachem or Royal in place to grab a catch, we know about Floyd's ability to make long completions, but with the other two, their speed could lead to plenty of yards after the catch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    The biggest thing the Chargers will miss is VJ's ability to win every fight. I like Floyd but in VJ's absence 2 seasons ago, he lost two fights that VJ would have won (no guarantees but VJ is the best at it and does it constantly). There's his blocking too

7. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    While your points are valid and can be proven, it's also true that the WR corps have been decimated with injury the last two years. Take away Gates and Sproles and VJ should have been having ginormous years and yet he didn't. I'm not so sold that VJ will be a missed as much as some like to believe, sure he is talented but seemed to disappear against tough defensive backfields. There have been plays when he looked as if he'd given up and just quit on it, the Raider game comes to mind. He said he lost the ball in the lights but why stop running?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Jackson=Overrated

While VJ could be a beast at times, and was an excellent blocker, his effort was inconsistent. He was also not the pass catcher that Floyd is...... too much of a body catcher for my liking. Floyd's only real knock is his durability. As a deep ball catcher, few are his equal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358

This. I think we started to see VJ quit on plays towards the end. When he played hard he was great, but that wasn't all the time. Floyd makes some exceptional catches when he's out there, but like you say durability is an issue, and he's kinda slight compared to someone like VJ.

10. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    I'm loving the outlook of our offense. If the line can hold long enough for the plays to consistently develop, then we should be getting some kind of points on very nearly every drive.
    Also, hopefully this means that the first team will get more reps thannormal together in preseason games to help Rivers better his chemistry with all the new guys.

Honestly, I've been content with our fofense for a while now. I, like most of you I assume, am more worried about our defense...

11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Floyd never gives up on a ball, kind of like Bambi in that respect and also is a contributing factor to injury. IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Floyd has had the best hands on the team for several years. He just has to keep them available for a full season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    This may be the first time I've ever agreed with you. I feel like Floyd made more of being the #1 when VJ was holding out in 2010, than VJ ever did in his whole time here...unfortunantly Floyd (as per custom) got injured. VJ had a few scatter shot games where he went into beast mode, but other than that he was always inconsistant, his final numbers were more a matter of volume.

If Gates is truely 100%, losing VJ becomes an afterthought this year.

14. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    Healthy big play threats being removed from the game shouldn't help a receiver get more balls when it's so much easier to double him

VJ gave up on those plays for an easy to see reason (I still laugh imaging AJ going down to the field later in the week and having them turn the lights on). He never did so before that year and obviously has no reason to do so now.

Floyd may have good hands but can't steal back INTs. VJ was a monster when competing for a ball...But yeah, not like he was ever going to do that again for the Chargers.

I think they will get it done but not in the same fashion. A real Fullback will be just as important as a healthy Gates.

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Gates last year could be single covered for much of the season. That wasn't true when he was healthy. No LB was quick enough to stay with him, and a safety or corner was too small not to get boxed out by Gates. If he truly returns to his old form, and Royal shines in the slot, Floyd and Meachem will have fun downfield.

An offense is always better off when it can attack in multiple ways. Losing Jackson, but gaining Meachem and Royal could very well end up better for the team.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    agree

I'm guessing the pass attack will be better but as many catches as they get, will have more to do with a healthy Gates and a real fullback opening up for a fit Mathews. I'd be a little more excited if they had a happy VJ to go with healthy Gates and the fullback. But yeah, the offense should be exciting

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I'm not sad about losing a player that needs to be kept happy....... give me good players who are team oriented.

18. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    I'm just pointing out that he was phucked with and the results were predictable.

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    He showed a lack of maturity and a me first attitude, regardless of his contract battles. One way or the other, he's history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    Fine, but when I said a "happy VJ" I did so to not confuse you with the guy intentionally not going for balls and the guy that was on the team before that. Even if the Chargers franchised him, I wouldn't want him on the team because the Chargers would not have the guy they used to or who the Bucks have now.

Some guys can handle getting treated like that and have it not change their effort for your team. I think AJ should have not expected him to do different. Another bad and pointless gamble. Apparently the Bucs receivers appreciate all he's doing for them....I'm guessing since he's locked up with a nice contract in Tampa, they don't have to worry about his effort should their GM be just as stupid

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I'm sure the Bucs are getting a happy player....... they paid him a king's ransom. That doesn't change the fact that Jackson's off the field issues were entirely of his own doing. You can't blame that on AJ, or his kicking a red flag in a playoff game. Again, the guy showed a lack of maturity. To pin Jackson's issues on AJ is a big stretch...... and I'm certainly not a big AJ defender. The GM has plenty to answer for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I agree with that 100%. AJs philosophy was sign your tender and show you want to be a SD Charger and THEN the money. Some of these players think it is SHOW me the money and THEN I''ll be a SD Charger.

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm convinced the best place for Jackoffson was as far away from the Bolt's as possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I would have liked to keep Jackson, but not for the money he wanted. I'm happy with the amount of talented players we were able to pick-up by letting him go and I'm excited to see how it all shakes out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    money he wanted in 10 (whatever that would have been) would be nice. there was no price that would keep him in SD in 12

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    What turner has done with this club the last few years is nothing short of amazing. Other than River's whose injuries may have been concealed, who wasn't out of the game for periods of time or playing injured? No real blowouts occurred and in most games they came back and tied, took the lead or had the lead and were able to keep pace. None of it was pretty especially the ST woes, the inflated defensive stats or the wounded offense but the guys played and played hard.

I don't know if it's empathy, sympathy or a combination of both that would like to see Turner win a championship. He knows the game and can completely destroy any defense, he just can't run one. I hope John Pagano can deliver on his side of the ball this year, just would be nice to see it all put together and running sweet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Vincent Brown impressing Chargers

August, 3, 2012
    AUG 3
    7:10
    PM ET

By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

SAN DIEGO -- Much has been made about the subtractions from and additions to the San Diego Chargers' receiving corps this offseason.

[​IMG]
    Brown
    Amid of all the change is the development of an intriguing Southern California kid who could have a major role in the offense this season. San Diego State product Vincent Brown came on strong in the second half of 2011, his rookie season. Showing his versatility and polish, Brown finished with 19 catches for 329 yards, a fancy 17.3 per-catch average.

All but two of Brown’s catches were for first downs.

The way Brown has performed so far in training camp and the way he has been used suggest he could be in for a big increase in production in his second season. As the Chargers move away from the Vincent Jackson days (he signed a monster deal with Tampa Bay), Brown will be part of an ensemble cast that includes incumbent starterMalcom Floyd and free-agent pickups Robert Meachem and Eddie Royal.

What makes Brown valuable in this group is that he can play every receiver position. With a team that runs multiple-receiver sets, this will come in handy.

“He is so smooth,” San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers said of Brown. “He had a great offseason. … He’s going to be a big part of the offense.”

28. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Bingo. With Rivers at the helm, I think he can throw to pretty much anyone and be very successful... that is, as long as he is upright. And, man, there were times last year when his eyes were wide with fear. If the Oline can be at least average the Rivers will be great. If they are above average, then it will be scary.

That said, on paper I *love* our receiving corpse. Yes, VJ was a beast by winning so many contested balls. But the team lived and died largely based on one man. That's a big risk profile and an unlikely way to get through the playoffs and win a championship. Still, we will miss his big play ability from time to time. No question.

But the strength of the current set of the receivers is not that a single one of them is dominant. It's that each one of them has a unique skill set. They've got a couple of deep threats in Meachem and Floyd. They have a true slot receiver in Royal (i think he's going to be great). Gates is healthy again (I thought he was done) and he is an unsolvable matchup problem and attention magnet. Plus the Floyd and Gates are as good of an endzone pair as you can find.

This is the most balanced Charger receiving corpse in decades. I'm no fan of Norval as a coach but this offense plays to his strengths as a coordinator. He's got a flexible lineup with talented options at each position. I'm excited to see what he can do with them... if the O-line can keep Rivers upright.

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And don't sleep on Vincent Brown.

I'll take the talented quantity approach that we seem to have this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    "If" the air game works as advertised I'm thinking Ryanna will have a big year. He still reminds me of Chunk Muncie and catching a little swing pass can be deadly for defensive backs.