1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv can become #1 Chargers postseason coach with a win

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Jan 7, 2009.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/...etwork&page=nfl/news/newstest.aspx?id=4201667

Time to Applaud Chargers' Turner

By Tony Moss, NFL Editor

(Sports Network) - Quick: name the all-time leader in playoff victories for a Chargers head coach.

If you're struggling to answer, you might find it easier to come up with a reply after San Diego's AFC Divisional Round tilt at the Pittsburgh Steelers this Sunday.

Should the Chargers win in Pittsburgh for the third straight time in their playoff history, one Norval Eugene Turner will stand alone at the top of a list which - let's face it - isn't littered with candidates for Canton.

After Saturday night's 23-17 overtime win over the Colts, Turner is already tied for the all-time San Diego lead in playoff wins at three, in just his second year on the job. Bobby Ross led the Bolts to the Super Bowl in 1994 and also won a postseason game in 1992, while Don Coryell won a playoff game each year from 1980 through 1982.

And though the mention of Norv's name still elicits something of a chuckle among the legions who fawn over our Belichicks, Dungys, and even Coughlins, it is time to face up to a hard truth for those of us who thought Turner was wholly undeserving of another head coaching job in the first place...he has done exactly what he was hired to do.

Let's remember that when Marty Schottenheimer was fired a month after the 2006 season, the implied reason for termination, other than the Baldwin/Basinger dynamic of his relationship with general manager A.J. Smith, was the team's consistent playoff failures.

The Chargers had gone a combined 35-13 in their final three years under Schottenheimer, an average of just under 12 per season, yet had no postseason victories to show for it.

Turner's directive upon being hired, in addition to being Smith's yes-man, was to end that drought, and even if he's done it the hard way, you can't dispute that the former Redskins and Raiders wash-out has indeed done it.

One year after going 14-2 under Schottenheimer in 2006, San Diego started a head-scratching 5-5 in its first season under Turner. All of the "Norv can't coach" buzzards were circling, but Turner righted the ship and led the Bolts to a six-game winning streak to win the AFC West. Once in the playoffs, the Chargers won both a game they should have, against Tennessee, then went to Indianapolis and pulled off the franchise's biggest victory since it upset Pittsburgh in the 1994 AFC Championship.

That the team failed to stop the perceived buzzsaw that was the New England Patriots was hardly an indictment of Turner, and the fact that San Diego was expected to welcome back a high-quality team in 2008 was provided as evidence that Turner had finally - at last - hit his coaching stride.

Then the Chargers sunk to 4-8 following a slew of listless performances and narrow losses, and Smith was being asked regularly about the job status of a head coach who had seemingly squandered some of the best talent in the league.

But once again, Turner mobilized the troops at the last possible instant, reeling off four straight wins while the front-running Broncos completed a historic collapse to help the Chargers become the first 8-8 division-winner since Schottenheimer's 1985 Browns claimed the AFC Central.

Sure, the Chargers have lost 13 games in the past two years that Belichick or Dungy or even Schottenheimer might have won, but who really cares?

When you're dangling on the precipice of your second straight AFC Championship appearance, should anyone even be talking about that Week 7 loss to the Bills?

Ultimately, coaches are judged by their ability to win in January, and though the team's first Super Bowl title has to date remained elusive, with a win on Sunday, no coach in Chargers history will have put the franchise within reasonable striking distance of that goal as often as Turner.

And for that, even a coach considered to be something of a chronic underachiever deserves a healthy share of praise.

SHORT AND SWEET

Sorry, Chargers defense. Your consistently strong work against Colts quarterback and 2008 NFL MVP Peyton Manning will forever be consigned to below-the-fold status when the story of the team's overtime victory over Indianapolis is told.

The star of the win was running back Darren Sproles, who amassed 328 all- purpose yards and two touchdowns, including the game-winning 22-yard run, while subbing for the injured LaDainian Tomlinson (groin) for most of the contest.

The 5-foot-6, 181-pound Sproles carried 23 times for 105 yards and two scores in the win, caught five passes for 45 yards out of the backfield, notched 72 yards on three punt returns, including a 28-yarder, and finished it off with 106 yards worth of kickoff return yards.

The 100-yard rushing day was the third of Sproles' three-year NFL career, and second straight, after the ex-Kansas State star went for 115 yards on 14 carries against Denver in Week 17.

The chances seem strong of Sproles being asked to reprise his effort this weekend in Pittsburgh. Tomlinson was limited to five carries (totaling 25 yards and an early touchdown) against the Colts, and didn't sound like a man who was confident of an imminent recovery on Monday.

"I don't know. It's tough," Tomlinson said of his playing status due to what has been reported as a torn adductor tendon in his groin. "This is a tough injury. I would probably venture to say it's probably the toughest of my career. We'll see what happens."

WAIT AND SEE FOR RIVERA

Following the signature moment of his brief tenure as the Chargers' defensive coordinator, Ron Rivera was forced to issue a statement regarding his potential status for any head coaching opportunities that might come his way.

The entirety of the statement released by the Chargers on Monday read:

"San Diego Chargers Defensive Coordinator Ron Rivera has declined overtures from several NFL teams to interview for their open head coaching position. Rivera is not interested in talking to other teams until the Chargers have finished their season.

'My sole focus and concentration right now is helping the Chargers win a championship. Nothing else matters right now,' said Rivera. 'I don't want to let anything distract from our objective.'

Rivera will not discuss the issue further until the Chargers' season ends, including which teams had expressed interest."

Rivera was considered a hot head coaching candidate following the 2006 season, when he presided over a Bears defense that reached the Super Bowl. But the former NFL linebacker did not get any of those jobs, and somewhat bizarrely, his contract was not renewed by Chicago following the season.

Rivera ended up coaching linebackers on Turner's staff in San Diego last season, and was promoted to coordinator when Ted Cottrell was fired after the team's 2008 bye week.

NEXT UP: THE STEEL CITY

As mentioned, San Diego can this week point to a favorable history in big games played in Pittsburgh.

The Chargers have won their only two postseason meetings with the Steelers all-time, with both of those games coming in the Steel City. The Bolts were 31-28 road winners in a 1982 AFC First-Round Playoff and stunned the Steelers, 17-13, on the road in the 1994 AFC Championship.

Meanwhile, however, the Chargers are 0-13 in regular season games played in Pittsburgh all-time, including their 11-10 loss there in Week 14. Pittsburgh has a 20-6 edge in its all-time regular season series with San Diego. The Bolts snapped a five-game overall losing streak in the series with a 23-13 home win in 2006.

Turner is 0-3 in his career against the Steelers, with one loss each while with the Redskins (1997), Raiders (2004), and Chargers (2008).

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Hey B4L... can you feel it comin'... :icon_shrug:
    ..............................................................[​IMG]

:lol::lol:

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    You love that avatar, don't you?

Anyway, until Norv gets us into the Super Bowl, Ross is still the man.
    Quoth AJ Smith... "It's ALL about where you end."

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Even though Ross had less post season wins... OK. Well I think we all hope Norv proves to be 'the man' by your accounting.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Boss Ross is still the man. :tup:

If Norv wins the SB, then we'll talk.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    And Marty had more regular season wins. So what?
    "It's ALL about where you finish." No need to take my advice, ask your boy. He preached that in the beginning.

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    THANK YOU!!! :tup: :bolt:

It's amazing how some posters get so confused over the easiest things.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

I thought VJ was the..................

ahh, nevermind

:icon_party::icon_party:

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So how do you explain your leech like attachment to Ross. He never won the big game, does that not fly in the face of your rheotric?

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I pose the same question to you as I do B4N. Why is Ross the man if your criteria is winning the SB? Your argument falls flat when your example did not obtain your lofty goals.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Neither has anybody else. So I guess we never had a good HC, huh?

Like I said "take AJ's rhetoric." So far, Ross has taken us farther than anybody else!

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I just want to see if my hunch is true. If it happens, I want you to know right now that I luv you man. You'll be missed. :lol::lol:

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
  14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I luv you too, and no need to miss me... I'll be right here!!! :yes: :bolt:

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Sir Sidney was a great coach and couldn't win a Lombardi with the Bolt's, it didn't exist then. Don Coryell could have won one, if he had a defense.:bolt:

16. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    So Norv is better than Marty?

17. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    We were robbed in those years. Our defense wasn't that bad.

oilers steeling our play book?

holy roller?

ice bowl?

bastads!!!

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The Oilers, had five picks, and yes I'm aware of them stealing signs. They still had three top performers out of the starting lineup on offense.

Holy Roller, no answer, I know there is a rule against in now though.

Ice Bowl sucked and Cincy opening the tunnel gates when we had the ball if way overboard. The NFL never even made a statement on that, we were doomed.:bolt:

19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    [​IMG]

20. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Big mother ****ing word.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont know, you are the only one saying that a coach is not good unless they have the ring.

See I think that is the most myopic point of view I can think of.

Don Corryell is a great coach, no ring.
    Bobby Ross, great coach, no ring.
    Barry Switzer not a good coach IMO, has ring.
    Brian Billick, bad coach, has ring...

You are of course welcome to your opinion, but the ring view of things is extreemly short sighted, narrow minded and incorrect in my opinion.

22. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    And Norv took us further than Marty ever did yet you still dont give him credit, so what exactly is the difference

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  24. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Sid Gilman was a Great Coach, AFL Title (NFL chickenshits wouldn't play the team when challenged.)

I agree with the Switzer and Billick comments.

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't know. I'll answer that at the end of this season.

Though with that said... there is MAJOR difference between being handed a 5-11 team (followed by a 1-15 season) and being handed a 14-2 team.

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

No I didn't. I said "so far, Ross has brought us farther than anybody else."

Point out where I said "a coach is not good unless he has the ring." You only have to look back two pages as opposed to two months.

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Difference? MAJOR!
    One was handed a handed a 5-11 team (followed by a 1-15 season) and the other was handed a 14-2 team.

Barry Switzer got the Cowboys a ring. Does he have your credit?

I'll give Norv this much credit so far... he didn't lose the team (as he did up to week 12). He got us out of that 4-8 ditch but we shouldn't have been there to begin with. WE'RE TOO GOOD!!!
    People who say "he's sly like a fox"... not buying. Yeah. He planned all season long to finish 8-8 and make the playoffs due to luck of a crappy division.

I think last season's success was based on the players coaching themselves and this season is no exception.

28. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    An argument can be made that he was handed a great team but keep in mind, that team finished 5-11 the season before he started and as the Ravens franchise, they never had a winning season before Billick.

Switzer on the other hand was given a team that won back to back Super Bowl titles the season before he started. It would be awfully hard to screw that up!!! :yes:

29. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    It took Marty 3 seasons to put a winning team together though, and it's easy to say Norv was handed a 14-2 team, but there was no way Marty was going 14-2 again or better in 07. **** after going 12-4 we went 9-7 the year after losing a lot of close games (sound familiar?)

Look at Marty's last 3 years:
    12-4, 0-1 in the postseason
    9-7, missed the postseason
    14-2, 0-1 in the postseason

Now lets look at Norv:
    11-5, 2-1 in the postseason
    8-8, 1-0 so far in the postseason

Marty in 04 and 05 combined:
    21-12 .636 winning pct.

Norv's 1st 2 years so far:
    22-14 .611 winning pct. * (Norv would need to win the SB to end with a better win pct.)

comparable winning pct. except Norv already has 3 playoff wins but if you look at those 1st 2 years they're pretty comparable. Marty had a good year then the team underachieved then he had a great year, Norv had a good year then the team underachieved. Difference is when Marty's team underachieved they started off strong and fell apart at the end while Norv's team started off slow and came on at the end.

Looking at the trend Norv is due for a 13-3 season next year, whether that happens we'll see.

But anyways back to the original point I said that because you kept quoting AJ on it matters where you finish and Norv has finished farther than Marty, so in that respect it makes Norv a better coach.

30. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155

Well lets see, how did our team go from bad to a winner. I'd say there was maybe 2 key factors, QB and defense.

Did Marty make Brees a great QB? Lets not forget Marty was willing to give up on Brees and wanted Rivers as well.

When it comes to defense Marty picked his boy Linsey, who sucked as a DC, it wasn't until AJ brought in his boy Wade that the defense turned around.