1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv compares Royal to Joiner and Ellard

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Norv Turner puts Eddie Royal in some good company

The Chargers have the same quarterback that they’ve had for several years, but their passing game is going to look very different this season.
    Vincent Jackson is gone and the team signed four veteran wide receivers this offseason. Roscoe Parrish and Micheal Spurlock will need to fight for snaps, but Robert Meachem will likely start and Eddie Royal is also ticketed for a major role. Charger coach Norv Turner didn’t hold anything back when sharing his thoughts about Royal.
    “He’s a real smooth receiver,” Turner said, via Tom Sheridan of the North County Times. “He reminds me of Charlie Joiner, and reminds me of Henry Ellard, guys that I’ve been around. He’s very deceptive. And sometimes he doesn’t look like he’s going that fast, and he’s hauling.”
    Pretty good company for a player who has 201 catches over the first four years of his career. Joiner’s exploits with the Chargers led him to the Hall of Fame and Ellard ranks ninth on the NFL’s all-time receiving yards list, with both men posting career averages of more than 16 yards a catch at a time that saw less prolific passing attacks around the league. Royal is just a shade over 10 in that metric, although Joiner and Ellard both have similar builds to Royal.
    Sheridan reports that Royal “could become the safety valve” that Philip Rivers missed with Darren Sproles' departure. That would be a welcome development for the Chargers offense, although it would take a bit more than that for Royal to reach the level of Joiner and Ellard.

2. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    This I agree with:
    Sheridan reports that Royal “could become the safety valve” that Philip Rivers missed with Darren Sproles' departure. That would be a welcome development for the Chargers offense, although it would take a bit more than that for Royal to reach the level of Joiner and Ellard.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If Royal can be half as good as Joiner was the Bolt's are in business and will be booming. Only one little thing needs to happen now, he has to produce.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Royal will produce. He produced with Cutler. He will with Rivers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    With the master of the craft learning him up, I don't foresee a problem. Let them all just make it out of training camp and open up the flood gates!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    “He reminds me of Charlie Joiner"

:roflmao:

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Last time he had a QB that was even above average, he was almost a 1000 yard receiver. Once that QB left, his production plummeted. I am hoping now that he has a decent QB again, he will get back to his 2008 ways

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Right now there is a long and hard road to cover before the first snap of the first seasonal game. All I'm looking for is to be at the starting gate without any BOO-BOO's, after the last few seasons I have a right to be concerned. Yes, I am trying to avoid using such terms thank you.

9. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    When was the last time we had a WR that could catch a slant and take it the distance? I cant remember which is why having royal makes me really excited :)

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Cautiously optimistic :)

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    That's all we can be at this stage

12. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    He reminds me of Jerry Rice, if Rice was a ninja. :tup:
    No wait, if a Jedi Knight and Wonder Woman had a child,
    it would be Royal's kid brother.

Seriously though, he does remind me of Bruce Lee.