1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv gets extension per Acee's twitter

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Showmeyourbolt, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Link

[​IMG]

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,585
    Norv gets extension per Assee's twitter

Well, there's our answer.

Man, Rivers looks PISSED in that gif.

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264

He's looking straight at Nate "Finkel" Kaeding for missing yet a 3rd straight FG.....

[​IMG]

4. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310

I'm actually glad that Turner got the extension. He's a great head coach who has helped us to 3 straight AFC West titles, and who has helped and still is helping Rivers become better every season.
    I think he's doing everything he can with what he has. The Bolts just aren't well rounded enough to be Superbowl Champs. Hopefully if we draft right and use the free agent pool to the best of our ability the team will be in better shape next season.

5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194

Yeah, three year contract extension. MoarNorv for us!

6. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96

I think it is the right thing to a degree. He needs to start trusting Rivers more, though...our lack of downfield plays last game was sickening--only one try to Floyd the entire game, and that was a near-catch.

7. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Norv given 3 yr. contract extension.

San Diego President Dean Spanos signed Head Coach Norv Turner to a three-year contract extension today, extending his contract through the 2013 season. "I'm extremely proud of the job Norv has done with this team," said Spanos. "In three seasons he's led the team to three division titles. I'm confident that if we strengthen our roster and continue to provide Norv the assets he needs, this team will have continued success."

Turner has the top overall winning percentage in team history at .648 (35-19) as well as the top regular-season percentage (32-16, .667). The Chargers are 13-0 in December under Turner and 4-3 in January. His three playoff wins are tied for most in team history. The team's 13 regular-season wins in 2009 are the second most in team history, and includes a team-high seven wins on the road and a 4-0 sweep of the NFC East. The team committed the second-fewest turnovers (17) and the third-fewest penalty yards (570) during the regular season. Its 78 penalties are the fewest by the Chargers since 1976 when there were 14-game seasons.

Turner's leadership did not go unnoticed nationally as USA Today named him its NFL Coach of the Year.

http://chargersmedia.com/turner-signs-three-year-extension

8. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370

I think the reason that B4L isn't in this thread yet is because his head just exploded.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,585

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Chargers-sign-Turner-through-2013/9bf914d1-8d05-4f2d-aab1-8b36b03258d1

Chargers sign Turner through 2013

Posted Jan 18, 2010

San Diego President Dean Spanos signed Head Coach Norv Turner to a three-year contract extension Monday.

San Diego President Dean Spanos signed Head Coach Norv Turner to a three-year contract extension Monday, extending his contract through the 2013 season. ​
    “I’m extremely proud of the job Norv has done with this team,” said Spanos. “In three seasons he’s led the team to three division titles. I’m confident that if we strengthen our roster and continue to provide Norv the assets he needs, this team will have continued success.”
    Turner has the top overall winning percentage in team history at .648 (35-19) as well as the top regular-season percentage (32-16, .667). The Chargers are 13-0 in December under Turner and 4-3 in January. His three playoff wins is tied for most in team history. The team’s 13 wins in 2009 are the second most in team history, and includes a team-record 7-1 on the road and a 4-0 sweep of the NFC East. The team exhibited discipline under pressure, committing the second-fewest turnovers (17) and the third-fewest penalty yards (570) during the regular season. Its 78 penalties are the fewest by the Chargers since 1976 when there were 14-game seasons.
    Turner’s leadership did not go unnoticed nationally as USA Today named him its NFL Coach of the Year.

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424

B4L's head just exploded.

11. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370

I win

12. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Norv given 3 yr. contract extension.

Well "that is that" as they say. No suspense / drama here.

13. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867

I'm ok with this.

14. Vardog

Vardog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1

I'd have to agree with you on trusting Rivers more to run the offense. Especially when he reads the blitz. He could've torched the Jets by calling a simple slant patterns instead of taking a 5 step drop and looking for a 10+ yard play. I think extending Norv was an okay choice.

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556

Me too. :popcorn: And I'm shocked to hear myself say that after starting 2-3 and going one and done in the playoffs.

Marty was fired because he lost his entire coaching staff to bigger and better jobs and tried to get Kurt and Brian Shottenheimer hired to run the offense and defense. He and AJ were oil and water, it was a special circumstance, I have no problem with Norv getting locked up.

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Yippie!!!!

Look at his competition!!! You can't rely on the other 3 teams to suck for eternity!!

Everything he can with what he has?!!! Any coach would be drooling with that thought of coaching the team we have. Yeah... we're really lacking talent!!!

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Win what? Are you two happy?

What's going to happen when our division rivalries start winning? I guess we can go back to just seeing each game as a party in the parking lot.

Proud of the job Norv's done... sure. We should ALL be proud to be 1 and done... just like 2006.

18. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
  19. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219

Thank you, Dean and AJ, for DOING THE RIGHT THING.

This will help us get a head start on next year. No lame duck = the team can move on and build on what we accomplished this year.

It's less than we wanted, but we're close... Oh so close. We'll get there.

20. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194

Norv's going to win a Superbowl here then I guess. Damn, I wanted someone new so I don't have to go through that whole "waiting and wondering" process again. I mean, it's kind if like I know Norv's gonna pull something stupid and underestimate his opponents again IN THE PLAYOFFS even. It'll be harder to get revved up knowing his arrogant *** is still the one at the helm.

21. ynnoj

ynnoj BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2

The right thing to do, especially so soon after the loss. Great decision.

With a strong draft, the franchise and team can now focus on going to Dallas in 2011. GO BOLTS!

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If Norv only does one thing different next year, I hope it is to make each player accountable. Call them out in public and bench them for stupid action's and ineffective play.

Let them know that they're only as good as their last play. Sitting on the pine or being called out in the press with get these kid's to straighten up. If not, cut them.

It's not coaching why we lost, it is player self discipline. Cro, don't like to get dirty, V-Jack is empty between the ear's and Phillips sits on his brain.

If they can't learn, cut the losses and move on. It's a team sport, not a bonehead competition.

23. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Oh boy. An investment in mediocrity.

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    3-year extension for Norville Turner?

Why? Because he has the team playing well... Jesus Tap Dancing Christ! I hope that we do not represent a majority of Charger fans who after a hard fought loss will pine moan and slobber for another coach.

The typical Charger fan would see the team doing poorly with a new coach each year just to stroke their couch coach ego...

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    A statement in Stupidity.

Please explain how Norv has been mediocre during his tenure with the Chargers.

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Absolutely. Get rid of some of the party boys & make certain that this team knows no one is guaranteed anything other than an opportunity.

Wow .... deep thoughts.

Easy cowboy .... you'll start getting the reputation of being a know-nothing, irate hillbilly. :lol:

Pass the possum, will ya? :icon_toast:

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
  28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That is not an explination of how Norv has been mediocre. Perhaps you care to take up the topic?

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't think that he has been, so no - I don't intend to get caught up in the post-Sunday BS.

I just hope that it doesn't take him 15 years to get us one ring, like it took the almighty Cowher.

If he's mediocre about anything, it may be about telling AJ who to get the hell off of the team. :yes:

30. clayton19

clayton19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand why they went with a three year extension. I could see a one year extension because of the gaudy record this year. They are on the hook for 4 years now. Was Norv in demand?