1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv has a plan for Royal

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Royal passed up home for Chargers
    Written by

Eddie Royal grew up in Virginia. His family lives there. He attended Virginia Tech. His No. 5 jersey is retired from Westfield High in Chantilly, an 18-minute drive from Redskins headquarters. Mike Shanahan coaches the Redskins and was Royal's first NFL head coach.

Go ahead. Connect the dots.

Everyone else did.

Before the free-agent wide receiver joined the Chargers last month, the hometown kid seemed a lock to sign with Washington. Hours before he could sit down for dinner with team officials, there was already a local report the sides agreed to a two-year contract.

No deal was ever reached.

Royal ultimately chose to leave home for the best fit, he says, with the duo of quarterback Philip Rivers and coach Norv Turner the difference. They'll become further acquainted when Royal arrives in San Diego this month for offseason training.

“Of course, I could have been comfortable at home and playing for a coach that I played for before,” Royal said in a phone interview from Arlington, Va. “At the end of the day, I had to make the right decision for me.

“It wasn't about being comfortable. It wasn't about playing at home. It was about the best decision for me as a football player and my career. I think I made that decision.”

The Chargers have big plans for Royal.

Plans that'll involve the speedy, shifty receiver on offense, which wasn't always the case with the Broncos.

At his last stop, Royal had three head coaches in four years, not including an interim coach in 2010.

The first was Shanahan, who drafted Royal in 2008 with the 43rd overall pick.
    The 5-foot-10, 185-pounder played complement to wide receiver Brandon Marshall, and his 91 receptions were second most all-time by a rookie with 980 yards and five scores.

After a late-season team collapse, Shanahan was fired. Royal caught 115 passes the next three years with a career-low 19 in 2011.

The total was in part due to injuries — Royal missed four games — but also an erratic passing attack. Denver completed a league-low 50.6 percent of passes, including 46.5 percent under quarterback Tim Tebow.

More than eight teams pursued Royal in free agency, his agent Todd France said Sunday, and the Redskins were among them.

Shanahan says they couldn't be as aggressive as he would've liked due to salary cap reasons.

"I'm a big Eddie Royal fan," Shanahan said at last week's owners' meetings in Palm Beach, Fla. “He's a big-play guy. He's a great punt returner. He can play inside. He can play outside. You can put him in the backfield as a halfback. There's a lot of different options you can have, but he makes plays.

“You always talk about playmakers, a guy who can turn a game around.
    That's what Eddie can do. As a punt returner or catching short passes and taking them to the distance, he's got that ability.”

The Chargers know it.

Royal said he doesn't “want to give away too much,” but before signing his three-year contract last month, Turner pitched his plan for Royal in San Diego's vertical offense.

Between those details and the chance to play with Rivers — “it means a lot to have a guy you know exactly what you're getting week in and week out,” Royal said — the free agent was sold.

When not returning punts, he is expected to be active underneath, particularly on third downs, while wide receivers Robert Meachem and Malcom Floyd stretch secondaries deep.

“I'm really excited about Eddie Royal because we haven't had that guy,” Turner said at last week's meetings. “I think that's affected (tight end Antonio) Gates. People have been able to concentrate and double (team) Gates. Now, if they try to do that, you've got Eddie Royal on the slot. You've got Robert Meachem outside. We'll have better balance.”

San Diego isn't Virginia, Royal knows.

It's not where he was raised. It's not where he went to college. It's not where friends and fans took to their cell phones and computers, campaigning him to join the Redskins so they could watch him play all over again.

But they understood.

“Everybody said it was a great move for me," Royal said. "'It would've been great having you home, but San Diego is a great spot for you.' I'm looking forward to it.”

• Like Like x 3
  2. PRiversMVP619

PRiversMVP619 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Great article, cant wait for Royal.. its obvious that he will do good. I don't wanna hear all the bull about his stats lately, the guy has great potential but hasn't really had a chance to do so since the Donkeys never really had a great offense or solid Qb (which is why Royal did show great stats when Cutler was there) anyways Im sure he will be very great in our offense with an Elite Qb and Offensive minded coach in Turner to aid him, our passing attack is going to be deadly with teams having to worry about Meachems speed, Floyds reach, Gates and Royal covering the short routes, and Mathews/McClain pounding the ball away and catching the short passes... Defenses will quiver

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I like that that Norf thinks he has a plan, but want to see it before I believe it. It seems like he comes into every game with a general scheme, then the bullets start flying, and by the end of the 1st quarter Rivers is in shotgun again trying to climb out of a hole.

Sorry to get norvative so early in April, but this is a man who has not earned the benefit of the doubt.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Funny, how players from other teams have more respect for Norv's offensive abilities than you do.

But what do they know?......... they just play the game. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    How much tape of other teams offenses do you think Eddie Royal is studies? I'd guess he's watching CBs and maybe himself on film, and thats about it.

Lets not get into the Norv fight again though, we agree to disagree for now.

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Who said we needed to fight?....... we just don't agree. And many players don't hold your view either.

Meachem wanted to be in Norv's offense. Johnson said he knew how tough it was to beat the Chargers and wanted to be a part of Norv's team. Say what you want, but players around the league respect what Norv's offense can do..... even if you don't.

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Looks to me like we offered more money and playing time with an elite veteran QB instead of a rookie on a team with no first rounders for the next 2 years, and he took the cash and QB stability.

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Wait, I wasn't aware that anyone was questioning Norv's offense. I sure don't. I question everything else Norv does, but his offensive scheming is typically top notch. If only offensive scheming were all there is to being a HC...

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Both the Skins and the Bills had leaked stories that they had our two WR additions already locked up...... that didn't prove to be the case.

Norv obviously is a good pitchman. He convinced them that they would have an important and productive role in his offense. Having Rivers as the QB certainly helps with recruiting.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'd be fine with Norv as our OC, he's a bit overrated and was maddeningly conservative at times last year, but I respect the job he did with Rivers and his ability to use Gates. It's the other demands of being a head coach where he is a complete failure, and I've gone into that plenty.

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    This is a common opinion during the offseason, but go back to week 7, 8, 9 last year and you have a fan base demanding his head for our inability to do anything but kick field goals. Not until our last 5 games did our PPG average jump from the 20's to the top 5

But like I said to Blue I think he's still a better than average OC, and a depressingly awful HC. Nice guys do not often make the best leaders.

Oh no, I took the bait. NO MORE NORV TALK FROM ME!:D

12. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    "Norv has a plan for Royal" !!! :confused:

Hmmm, well thats good to know I guess.

I'd like to think he has a plan for all our players though, wouldn't that fall under his job description ?

Well it is April afterall, what was I expecting him to say ...... :rolleyes:

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Norv has a plan. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the talent pool that the fans say he has. Or AJ thinks he has.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    We and He have had one of the best pools of talent the nfl has seen on one team in the past decade, I don't think we are better than that now but I do believe we have added contributing factors that will pay off in the W column. The most talented team rarely wins a Lombardi Trophy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I don't think you earn the subjective opinion that your the "most talented" team unless you do indeed have some talent. Buck has always been kind of a narrow minded tw@, he wants to b1tch about the term now because we never finished the job, but your right you don't need to be the most talented team to win a Super Bowl. (IE: look at the damn New York Giants)

I think big picture is we've had enough talent that we should have at least made a Super Bowl appearance, or more than 1 AFC Championship appearance since 2004. Our failure made harder to swallow by the fact that we have played in a terrible division and always have trouble closing it out (with the exception of '09 and '06...when we went 1 and done).

16. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think the Giants were the most talented team, but they were the team with the right pieces to win. The NFL playoffs at this point are basically who has the best QB, receiving targets, pass-blocking oline, and pass rush, along with a good enough running game to grind out 1 first down over three plays in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter.

The Giants had the 3rd best set of receivers, the 3rd best QB, and the best pass rush in the NFC playoffs, and that's why they went to the Superbowl. The impact of the negative plays generated by an elite pass rush can just devastate a football team, and that was really apparent in the Texans vs Bengals game, the NYG@GB game, and the Superbowl.

The Giants had alot of things bounce their way this postseason (and regular season), but once they got into the playoffs their team was built to win. I don't think anyone is crapping themselves over the prospect of taking on our line or facing our pass rush (at the moment), and going forward that needs to change either through player development or scheming to improve our effectiveness.

17. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Perhaps you meant to imply "football coaches" when you wrote "leaders", but I still feel that statement is total BS. There seems to be a general, and I believe ignorant, assumption that leaders need to yell and scream to get the job done. Therefore, often that's what you end up with, but I think a Tony Dungy style coach is a much more effective leader of men.

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Of course I meant coaches.

Not at all, but they do need to have the balls to demand discipline from grown men, without getting tuned out over time. Dungy is the exception not the rule, and its debatable whether he ever wins jack **** without Peyton anyway, the most autonomous QB to ever play the game....considering Dungy is a defensive guy, and the Colts defense has never been their strength.

Hell the year after the Bucs fired Dungy, Jon Gruden (a notorious hard ***) took them to the Super Bowl.

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Funny thing, Belichick is also a defensive guy, and the Patriots defense has never been their strength. It's also debatable whether he ever wins **** without Brady...... #imjustsaying ;)

20. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yes but Bellichick unlike Norv and Dungy, is infamous for demand of discipline and attention to detail. His teams rarely make mental mistakes. He is a tough practice coach from what guys like Teddy Bruschi and Troy Brown have said.

Again Dungy is the wild card people love to point to, but the overwhelming number of successful coaches have been hard (not necessarily yellers or screamers) on their players.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    You mean like Brady throwing a pick to McCree in the endzone....... that kind of mental mistake? ;)

Thank heavens, we had a discipline coach like Marty to tell McCree to bat the ball down, since it was a 4th down play...... or at least take a knee. :D

22. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    And the only reason Belichick won a superbowl is because he had Tom Brady.
    And the only reason Sean Payton won a superbowl is because he had Drew Brees.
    And the only reason McCarthy won a superbowl is because he had Aaron Rogers.
    And the list goes on.
    The only way ANY coach wins a superbowl is either with a very good/great QB or with a once-in-a-generation defense (’85 Bears, ’01 Ravens, ’03 Bucs). Dungy was a great coach. Do you even remember how horrendous the Tampa Bay Bucs were for their ENTIRE existence until he got there and made them perennial contenders?

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Awesome point! Guess what, we have Philip Rivers! We HAD (past tense after injuries/retirements) an above average to pretty darn good O-line. We had LT in his prime, Gates in his prime, Jackson, and Floyd, and even in the Mathews/Tolbert era last year better than average running game. At this point we're right on par with the Packers, Patriots, and Saints who have great offenses and well below average defenses, so by that theory we should be winning the division at a minimum....
    .... Excpet that we did not have a below average defense in 2010, in fact it was damn good under Ron Rivera. And even in 2011 we were ranked 16th overall, better than any team you just named. In 2009 we were 11 in points allowed etc... point being our defense is always around average, and has even cracked the top 10 a couple times.

So given these facts, why can't we even beat the Matt Cassel led Chiefs, and Tim Tebow led Broncos for our own division?

24. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556

The game is played by humans anyone can go back and cherry pick a mental lapse or poor coaching decision, I'm not saying any coach has to be perfect, thats rediculous.

The point is we both know there is a big difference in quantity of mental lapses between the two teams.

25. ETicket

Ratings:
    +367
    There's a ton of possibilities and endless speculation that can be offered to answer this question... but I'm thinking the answer you're looking for is but one word. Norv.

I just don't happen to agree with the above simple answer.

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    I'm not sure there is....... it's just that you focus on every mistake the Chargers make. Have you really focused that much attention on every Patriots game played?

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think the difference between Belichick and Norv, quite simply, is that one coach knows how to win the game, and the other knows how to score points. I don't know how often I've watched Belichick coach and thought, "he has complete control of the game", and have also watched Norv and thought, "if a XMas miracle doesn't happen we're ******, b/c Norv is just reacting."

I can't remember the last time that I felt that Norv had absolutely outcoached the other team. I've felt that we had more talent than the other team or that our QB was so significantly better than the other team's QB that it wasn't a fair contest, but I've never seen the kind of Belichickian adjustments that take a team from a close contest to simply playing on another level, and frankly, I never expect to.

I think that kind of elevation is beyond Norv. Actually, now that I'm 6 German beers into it (that's 6% alcohol, not 3% like in America, hoodlums), I find myself wondering if, once Norv has installed the offense during the practice week, a trained monkey couldn't call a better game...

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    *last season........ week 15 vs Ravens. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If you drink good craft beers, you're more in the range of 8% - snob. ;)

30. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    True, although I don't think it's snobbery when the bottom of the barrel brand in town is Becks, lol. We can get American products, including alcohol and beer when we drive the 500 miles south to Ramstein, and our German friends asked us to bring some back. I brought Leinenkugels and Natty Light so they could experience the range. Leinies was viewed as interesting/drinkable, with Natty being observed to be urine.

• Like Like x 1