1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv instilling confidence

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LittleTrain, Aug 2, 2007.

1. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070802-9999-1s2chnotes.html

“To go win a game in this league,” he said, “it's very challenging.”

It has been for YOU. lol Thanks for pointing that out Norv. We never would have guessed it.

Good to see Camarillo making a push to stick with the team. I'd like to see him get some gametime just to see what he did in live action. He does seem to catch everything thrown his way.

2. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Camarillo could be the guy who pushes Eric Parker out.

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Congrats on coming to the worst conclusion I've seen in a while. Camarillo is a gutsy little guy, but he's basically a slower, less athletic Parker. No way would they keep him over EP.

4. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I don't buy this at all. EVERY good team wins their share of close games.

In fact, the 2006 Chargers did an excellent job of NOT playing down to their competition.

Let’s compare their season with the Colts. Of Indy’s 12 wins, 6 of them were by 5 points or less, and another two were by 7 points. That’s 8 of 12 wins by a touchdown or less. Two of those wins were one-point squeakers.

The Chargers on the other hand, only had 2 of 14 victories by 3 points (there smallest point differential), only 5 by a touchdown or less, half of their wins (7) were by more than 10 points.

Point differential in wins was a whopping 13.9, for the Colts it was 8.9.

IMO, we were every bit as good as that 14-2 record.

5. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    I just want to see Norv look at HIS won-loss record in the same way. Taking his own approach he probably could have easily had a 10% winning percentage. I'm sure he wasn't blowing teams out in route to that crappy winning percentage he has already.

6. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    It was a different story when we were losing those games by 3 points or less. But whatever. Please just kick *** this year and bring home the trophy.

o, and what was Godfrey doing there? Is he just hanging around for something or what?

7. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Crazy idea: Maybe Godfrey could end up being a lb coach? :icon_shrug:

8. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Ok, maybe not so crazy an idea, but still...it would be cool

9. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I find it kind of funny people are now bashing Norv Turner, our head coach, on the fact that he wants to make our team better and win by more than a TD in games.

Did you want him to say "winning by 3 points, good enough for me, keep up the same work and don't improve!"

10. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Doesn't he still want to play? I can't remember if he retired because the Chargers weren't going to sign him again or if he retired for himself. Either way, I wouldn't mind him hanging around for another season if he wants to play cheap, and beef up our ILB's.:unsure:

11. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Norv wasn't saying they didn't earn their 14 wins. His points was that the difference between 14-2 and 10-6 is not that much, so you cannot afford to be overconfident.

12. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Norv said we won a lot of close games. I just disproved that.

13. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I have no problem with what Norv is saying here. He can't let this team start getting too full of itself. They can't step on the field assuming they're going to win. That's a great way to create your own "trap" games.

Besides, to an extent Norv is right. We beat up on some scrub teams early in the season, then late in the season we had way too many games where we struggled for a half. I submit to you the games against the Bengals, the first half of the Browns game, the first game against the Broncos, Seattle, the home game against Oakland, and of course the 2 losses. That's seven games where the Chargers either lost or tempted defeat for a good portion of the game.

Add to that the fact that the Chargers played one elite team and lost last year (the Ravens) and I think you can see the picture. Yes, the Chargers are capable of winning it all, but the fact is they do have to play more elite teams this year, they won't have the scrubs early like last year, and any let-downs that last an entire half like we saw several times could break a little differently in 2007. So this team doesn't need any more people telling them how great they are.

• Like Like x 1
  14. KNSD

KNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    The difference between a 1st place schedule and a 3rd place schedule is two games. Last year the Chargers played the Tennessee and Buffalo instead of Indy and NE.

That could possibly make it 12-4 instead of 14-2.

The difference this year is that they also play the NFC North instead of the NFC West, and the AFC South instead of the AFC North. Even trade at worst, IMO.

15. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Begging NFL Network guys for a job? :icon_shrug:

:kisskiss:

16. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Our schedule really isn't that tough. Opponents' winning percentage is .504, we're ranked 17th in strength of schedule.

In addition, we only play one team coming off a bye. And our own bye is in week 7, much better than having it too early or too late in the searon.

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Yea the thread was titled wrong because the article "Turner has plan for overconfidence"

The team knows they're good, they know they should of gone 16-0 but you don't want them to start over looking teams, so he pointed out that if they don't come to play every game they won't win those close games.

Which I agree, I don't want our team looking past any team.

18. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Thread title was sarcasm.

Addressing the irony of Turner belittling our record last year when its much,much better than anything he's ever put up as a head coach. Maybe his teams would have benefited from a little more confidence?

Norv was a few close games from a 20% winning percentage.

19. DefenseWins

DefenseWins Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +246
    Do I detect a bit of a "lather" on your part regarding Norv, LittleTrain?

Jeesh... the guy wasn't "belittling" the Chargers record last year. All he was saying is that one of the motivational tools he plans on using is reminding the team that they aren't supermen and if they don't come to play, they can get their chops busted.... just like they did against the Fish year before last.

Confidence, like most things, can be a two-edged sword. Too much and it's bad (overlook teams, don't work as hard as they would otherwise), too little and it's bad (don't believe in themselves, play tight, make mistakes).

Cut the guy a little slack...