1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv is getting childish

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Oct 11, 2010.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    According to Twitter, When asked about Dungy's comments, Norv said "You see a team from afar, from a ways & I understand his comment & I can relate to him. It’s probably how he felt when his players let Darren Sproles return a punt & a kick for TD here on a Sun night game or when Peyton threw 6 interceptions against us."

Norv acts like that happens every year. Maybe they were unprepared that one game. But it doesn't happen year after year after year like it does with this team.

2. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Dungy deserved that smack.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Why, because his team had one bad game to a pretty good Chargers team? His team didn't play like **** to start the season 4 years straight and lose to multiple inferior team every year

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Jeez, butthurt much Norv?

Get the team better prepared to win or STFU.

5. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    This is how the brand deflects accountability. It's all just a big sales pitch.

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't see it as being childish. It's really easy for a coach to sit back and judge a team when he does not see how they practice or prepare, when he does not see them in meetings.

I think the truth is that, for those who don't like him, Norv can do nothing right. If Rex Ryan had said something like that about an ex-coach/analyst after the Jets blew a game, everyone would be praising him, talking about how they loved his fire.
    But if Norv does it, he's immature and petulant.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If Rex Ryan's team was considered a SB contender every year, and he started every year 2-3, he wouldn't get the benefit of the doubt either. Same goes for every coach

8. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    This thing is tearing apart before it gets better. Norv is taking shots at Dungy now? Things are about to get ugly.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont see anything childish. He had a point.

Dungey can say what he wants, I understand his perception. But if you are not in the locker room, and not at the practices, then it is speculation.

What Norv is showing is human emotion. The loss stings, Dungey's and Harrison's comments pile on. Then when he is asked about it he responds.

So some fans say Norv is acting like he doesnt care, then with this, acting childish...

What will the 'fire Norv' crowd accept?

10. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Not necessarily. If Rex said the same thing ALOT of people would say he was butthurt as well.

If an ex-coach like Dungy and a ex-player like Rodney has something to say about WTF is wrong with our team, I think they have better insight than most of us here do.

11. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I'd accept a stronger start than 2-3 from a playoff caliber team every year.

I'd accept a coach that mans up and says he will correct things.

I'd accept a coach not lying to us about the strength of our Oline when everyone knows it didnt get better.

I'd accept a lot of things over Norv Turners excuses.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We expect him to own up to his mistakes and do what he has to in order to ensure they don't happen again, it is the same standard we hold the players to. If Rivers came out every year, and was terrible for the 1st 4-6 games of the year, and was terrible in the playoffs, what he did in between would be irrelevant.

Norv has never once taken the blame for a loss, admitted he made a mistake, or even taken the blame for others, which the players do all the time. I have heard Rivers take the blame after in a loss where the defense gave up ~40 point, and rather than saying "Our defense has got to get better", he says "I need to make more plays". Norv has never once taken responsibility for a single loss this team has ever had

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Never? I recall several times, not that I am going to go digging for Norv clips and articles... But Never?

I have no problem with Norv responding to Dungey in this manner. I hope Dungy/Norv fires some players up.

It is about time for an all player kick ourselves in the arse' meeting, isnt it?

14. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    From 2006 to 2010. Oh how we have grown!

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I have watched a ton of post game press conferences, especially after losses, and I have never seen it.

Isn't it pathetic that the players need a players only meeting every year to get their *** in line, since the coach doesn't have them in line week 1? Isn't that what training camp is for? This same crap every year is very telling

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Are you under the mistaken perception that this is just a Norv thing.

Tell me how does it fit into your perception that for the last 8 years the Chargers have had 6 slow starts, go further and there is more. That is under Marty, not just Norv.

So are all the Coaches we hire that bad?

17. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I agree that they have more insight than us. But they also are on the outside looking in. I get the sense that Norv does not like Dungy very much. As for being butthurt, I'm sure Norv is. But on one level he's taking up for his team, which I think is a good thing for a coach to do

18. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    What was our record 8 years ago. LOL.

How many slow starts once we had a Pro Bowl littered roster? Thats a stat I'd like to see, since I dont know. I just know counting anything before 2005 pretty lame.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Go further and the team was Terrible. They didn't have slow starts, they had terrible seasons.

I have never, nor will I ever say Marty was a great coach and shouldn't have been fired. Marty, for all the yelling and screaming, didn't always have the team prepared either. But at least Marty took a team that hadn't had a winning season in quite a while, and had a winning season 3 out of 5 years. Norv took over a great team. Big difference

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Rex Ryan had one 9-7 season and a couple of playoff upsets and he's universally lauded as some kind of genius.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Oh so we cant look beyond 2005? Why is that exactly?

22. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Did the team have a winning record then? Did they own the AFC West for 5 years continuing? Were they picked to win the SB AND dominate their division then? Starting slow was expected.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Expected by whom? The Chargers won the AFC West in 2004.

24. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    We were expected to win the west in 2004?

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Again, expected by whom?

26. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    "Although the Chargers were tied with three other teams for the worst record of the 2003 NFL season, the league’s tie-breaking system gave San Diego the number one pick in the 2004 NFL Draft"

Oh, so YOU must have predicted a 2004 AFC West domination after being tied for last the year before. I need to give you much more credit. :)

27. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Alright dude, how does this question deserve this response?

Here we go again...

*in b4 you blame Conc for starting **** with you*

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No, you need to actually look into things. The year before a lot of games went down to the wire. Players from Denver and KC were quoted as saying they could not believe that the Chargers only won a few games the year before because their games against us were so hard.

Other GMs did expect the Chargers to challenge for the title because they had confidence in Marty as a coach and knew the team was stockpiling talent.

So again, EXPECTED BY WHOM?! Please answer the question.

If you are trying to indicate that 'you' expect them to win and so this season counts, that is fine, but it clearly ends the conversation.

29. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Huh?

I made the point that we were tied for LAST the year before. Not making a division push, TIED FOR LAST IN THE LEAGUE. If you predicted a division crown after that season kudos to you.

30. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Conc, the ignore feature doesn't work very well when you keep quoting him. Think of the children...