1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Norv just stamped his ticket out of Cleveland

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Report: Norv speaks up during meeting with Haslam
    Posted by Mike Florio on January 1, 2014, 8:31 PM EST

As the Browns continue to trudge through the early stages of a coaching search, it’s becoming more and more obvious that they’ll be replacing the offensive and defensive coordinators.

Norv Turner, a three-time head coach who once served as former Browns coach Rob Chudzinski’s mentor in San Diego, surely won’t be back. As Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com explains the situation, Chudzinksi and Turner worked togetherin burying Brian Hoyer on the depth chart — a move that per Grossi had plenty to do with Chudzinski losing his job.

And so it’s no surprise that Turner had no qualms about asking pointed questions when the coaching staff met with Haslam the day after Chudzinski was fired. According to Pat McManamon of ESPN.com, Turner inquired specifically about the disconnect between moves made as part of a long-term rebuilding effort (e.g., the early-season trade of running back Trent Richardson to the Colts) with a decision to hold Chudzinski accountable for poor results during the first year of a long-term rebuilding effort.

Per McManamon, Turner experienced a “slow boil” throughout the season as the coaching staff had its hands tied for talent. The decision to fire Chudzinski for not getting better results under the circumstances “prompted [Turner] to speak up.”

It’s unclear whether Turner was angry or simply candid. Regardless, he’ll soon be available to become an offensive coordinator with a new team.

Despite being fired three times as a head coach, Turner has excelled in the past as a coordinator. It’s hard not to imagine someone else wanting him right away.

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I never saw so much Norv-love (my computer started to seize as I typed that!)
    on PFT or anywhere else, as when this came out today.

Browns fans had no opportunity to tell the front office how they
    felt about them screwing the Chud soooooo obviously & shamelessly…
    so I think they kind of saw Norv as their angry voice.

Word is that after burning his bridges, Norv went out and relaxed with a double-feature
    of the Three Stooges in "Three Little Pigskins" and the 1984 classic: "C.H.U.D."

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Uh-oh... The triumvirate of Norv will be displeased...

4. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I actually think Turner's response to the firing is justified. He wouldn't have been kept anyways. The LolBrowns are going to hire LolJoshMcDaniels, and he's going to run the LolOffense.

If Norv can be criticized for anything in this instance, it's for even taking a job with that joke of a franchise in the first place. I know him and Chud are boys, but he just shouldn't have gone there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    In this instance, I think Norv was right on. Chud got screwed and the front office is a mess.

• Like Like x 1