1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv pleased with the look of the defense

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Bolts' defense draws early praise
    Written by

Antonio Gates is running healthy again.

Robert Meachem and Eddie Royal are getting acclimated. Vincent Brown is catching just about everything. Malcom Floyd is stretching the field, wrangling jump balls from Philip Rivers in the end zone.

Last week, at full strength, the Chargers' passing game looked promising during organized team activities (OTAs), which will continue Tuesday through Thursday and wrap up next week.

But that wasn't what stood out most for coach Norv Turner.

“I like that a lot, but what I like better is seeing (cornerbacks) Shareece Wright and (Marcus) Gilchrist a year into it, knowing what to do,” Turner said. “I like seeing (outside linebackers Antwan) Barnes and Shaun Phillips healthy and (Melvin) Ingram in there, rushing.

“We did not make enough big plays on defense. We did not create enough negative plays for the other side. I think we have more guys who are going to make those kinds of plays."

Give the ball back to that offense.

It'd be a welcome sight.

During their two-year playoff drought, the Chargers have forced the NFL's fifth-fewest turnovers. It's a stark contrast from 2004 to 2009, when the franchise had the league's second-most takeaways over that six-year span, making the playoffs in five of them.

Turner says he sees a lot of old in the new Chargers, including at outside linebacker.

Jarret Johnson in free agency and Ingram in the draft are both considered upgrades. They join Phillips and Barnes, the top outside pass rushers last year, and help supplant Travis LaBoy, who started a career-high 14 games in 2011 and was released last month.

Larry English's health and production could be the unit's X-factor.
    Despite missing the start of OTAs with a minor groin injury, English's past month-plus of offseason workouts have drawn positive reviews from the coaching staff.

"After this six-week period of time," Turner said, "we're closer to being back where we were maybe in 2007 and 2008 when we had a lot of different guys who could make plays at the outside linebacker position. You're able to keep guys fresh, which we did back then. And then if you do have an injury where a guy misses two or three weeks, bang, there's someone you can roll in, and he's playing ...

"I know people always see me as an offensive guy, but I'm rooting for guys to make plays. If it's on defense, it's in the kicking game or on offense, I want to get better. I think we've gotten better in all three phases, and I think we'll continue to get better."

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    It's June! Norv notes that "...sky is the bluest I've ever seen it, over Chargers Park!"

Dog leavings "...seem fresher...healthier, the finest I've smelled in my 28 seasons in the NFL..."

Ah, June, where everything is always lookin' up in Norvo-Land! :)

3. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Blinded by he light, It's only June for Christ sakes:p

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    I smell a Lombardi. Oh wait, it's just the aforementioned dog leavings.:poop:

5. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Then come September and you're either stepping in it or having it thrown at you. :cautious:

6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    I guess, overall, it's probably good for a coach to be so positive.
    But longtime Norv-watchers know that his rosy assessments, and the actual performance
    of the team, don't necessarily have much in common. So, yay! glad you like what you see,
    Norv, but we've learned to take your pre-season cheer with a grain (or two) of salt.
    To be fair, though, last year even Rivers was trying sooooooo hard to be upbeat, that
    he was actually saying that the lack of OTAs was actually a good thing... :rolleyes:
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Philip-Rivers-says-lockout-will-be-advantageous.html

One bright spot: I'm looking forward to far less 'sage' fan assertions about how
    absolutely crucial a fast start is to a successful season! :)

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think the fast start was crucial, it was just thrown off by losing the entire left side of our line for 6 weeks.

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    It's the same waffle every year about this time. As somebody mentioned over on the UT this time last year we were hearing how Manusky's D was gonna be nasty and dominating. Look how that turned out. I wouldn't be bothered listening to Norv talk about our D. I want the likes of JJ, Ingram and Weddle do our talking on the field. Time to get the heads down and work work work. Be ready when it matters.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Ahhh ... nothing like the sound of preemptive whining in the morning. :tup:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think Norv should just stop doing qualitative predictions of team performance. No matter what he says, people are just going to take it cynically based on past predictions of his.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Most coaches do it. And it's quite likely that many people in whichever fan base have negative remarks to make. I just have a hard time understanding why anyone would consider it enjoyment to follow a team that they have such low expectations of. Life is far too short to bitch about something all the time.

Find your joy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Well, I like the game, and I'm from San Diego...

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I like the game & I'm from Virginia. I could easily choose a team that would be far easier to follow. I chose the Chargers for various reasons & I'll stick with them. I'm not a blind homer - I bitch when there is something to bitch about.

I just find the negativism at this point of the year to be laughable & worthy of a few sarcastic shots.

14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think it's about the point of the year, I think it's about the coming 6th season of the Norv. I'm hoping it'll be different from the previous five seasons of the Norv, but I'm skeptical, which I don't think is negativity, so much as behavior patterned from previous experience.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You weren't really in my sights, dude. You normally add some analysis/insight into your feelings. Others just pull out the tiresome Eeyore routine.

I'm going out to the garden now, put my hands in the dirt, & marvel at our good fortune to have Norv at the helm. :abq2:

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Ahhhh, spring is here and isn't it wonderful? The eternal hope of a great harvest season hangs in the balance of the unknown yet to come.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And the farmer in me remains optimistic at the bounty to be received. :tup:

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    May as well put this here I suppose ....

CHARGERS: Bigby aims to start at strong safety
    [​IMG]

The Chargers' Atari Bigby during practice at Chargers Park last week. HAYNE PALMOUR IV | hpalmour@nctimes.com

SAN DIEGO ---- The Chargers entered the offseason in desperate need of a strong safety. With Steve Gregory gone via free agency and the Bob Sanders experiment deemed a failure just weeks into the 2011 season, the team was starting from scratch at a position that has been a black hole in recent seasons.
    Strong safety was deemed a priority heading into the NFL draft, so much so that some predicted the Chargers would trade up and take Alabama's Mark Barron in the first round.
    Lost in all that speculation was Atari Bigby, a free agent signee with seven years and 35 starts to his name. Chargers coach Norv Turner and general manager A.J. Smith told anyone who asked about the strong safety predicament that Bigby would have a real chance to start in 2012.
    No one listened.
    Bigby heard, loud and clear.
    "This was the opportunity I was looking for during the offseason," Bigby said. "I just wanted a chance to start and play ball. Everything is going as planned, and I'm getting the chance I asked for."
    Bigby doesn't expect the starting spot to be given. He never has.
    He has earned everything he has gotten, working his way from undrafted free agent to starter at Green Bay to Super Bowl champion with the Packers in 2010.
    Then came the NFL lockout and, after it was resolved, a harsh dose of reality. The phone didn't ring. There were no suitors for Bigby after losing most of 2010 and a starting job to an ankle injury, even as teams scrambled to fill rosters in a compressed offseason. Like many veterans without a signed contract, Bigby started preparing himself for the end.
    Then he got a call from the Seattle Seahawks, who wanted him to play in a rotation. It wasn't ideal, but it kept his career alive.
    "It was a dead period for me, and a humbling one," Bigby said. "... Before going to Seattle, I thought my career was over. I had to start coming to grips with that in a short time, but about the middle of the season (I started) remembering how much I loved the game and how much I wanted to keep playing.
    "I feel rejuvenated and as excited about a season as I've ever been."
    That's evident in the early portions of this offseason. Bibgy has been a hard worker on the field and in building a rapport with his teammates. Bigby is taking full advantage of the team's organized team activities, which continue Tuesday with the final seven sessions over the next two weeks.
    "First off, I want to see what the identity of this secondary is," he said. "And, not only do I want to learn how to fit in with these guys, I want to put my own stamp on this defense and help make it better than it was."
    Bigby wasn't terribly active with Seattle, which led many Chargers fans to overlook him when considering the next starting strong safety.
    Many still look to 2012 third-round pick Brandon Taylor, a hard-hitter from LSU, as a potential starter. While the Chargers hope Taylor eventually earns that job, counting on a rookie to start as a three-down player is a dangerous prospect. Many a draftee has been hyped so much that early contributions are expected. Rarely, however, are they realized.
    Bigby will get a chance to prove worthy of starting in the base package and the nickel. He's working with the first team in both sets right now. In order to retain such status throughout training camp, he'll have to play well.
    This offseason, Turner believed he deserved a shot.
    "I really like his work ethic and professionalism," Turner said. "He's clearly played a lot of football, and he has a good understanding of what we're trying to do.
    "He's a complete player. Playing the run is his strength, but he's a good pass defender and a solid special teams player. When he was in Green Bay, I thought he was a really good starting strong safety."
    At worst, Bigby will be a valuable contributor on special teams. At best, he starts and gives Taylor the time needed to develop into an NFL player.
    So far, the player he has been lining up next to has been impressed.
    "The dude can play. He's been impressive to me by how he carries himself and the way he works," free safety Eric Weddle said. "He's a lot like me, only a little bigger. He's very knowledgeable and understands the role of each player in the secondary. That's why I think we're going to have a solid working relationship."

• Like Like x 1
  19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Thy bounty is predicated by thy works!

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    In no small part, the works for that particular year.

Maybe AJ took off his "Monsanto" glasses this year & drafted/acquired better seed. ;)

21. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I hope Bigby doesn't turn out to be Bob Sanders mk II

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    There has been enough drought going on and it would be nice if the fortune turns for the Bolts this year.

23. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    hmm. norv is a qb by trade so does this mean that the D looks good from an offensive POV?

24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    As a life long bolt fan, my biggest concern is still and always has been the defense. I've heard this song and dance before and the new edition was the same as the old model, stinky. The best defense I believe the Bolts ever fielded was the one Kernel Klein disassembled and sent to the 9'ers. Oh for the memories.

25. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    If only he cared about his team as much as his horses.

26. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Horses don't have agents, horses don't always have their hands out asking for more money. Read his book if you haven't.