1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NORV said WHAT??

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ThunderHorse17, Oct 26, 2010.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Oct. 25, 2010 5:41 p.m. - Coach Norv Turner may have inadvertently placed blame on GM A.J. Smith for not supplying him with enough experienced talent. "We have had some people handling the ball who probably shouldn't be handling the ball," Turner said. "(They were) probably not ready to play." Chargers RapidReports

Biting the hand that feeds?

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    i heard that and my eyebrows popped up immediately, he's definitely taking a shot at AJ and that won't bode well

3. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Great! Thats all we need right?

Watch out Norv...you'll end up like Marty if push AJ's buttons too much haha lol

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I think your seeing smoke where there is no fire.

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    It is the coaches job to get his guys ready to play.

6. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    "Can't win with them" Really, Norv pulled a Singletary!?! This season is sinking faster than I thought.

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +377
    Damm Norv is Gangster. Marty 2.0?....................................not a chance

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I think it's a passive aggressive way of letting these players know they need to get their shiit together. My hope is that he also stood in front of the team and said something like: "Maybe We have some people handling the ball who probably shouldn't be handling the ball," AND "You were probably not ready to play."

or at the very least spoke one on one with Goodman, Hester, and Wilson about their turnovers.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    This is nothing. Taken out of context.

10. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Isn't this the same Norv Turner who said thisis his bset team ever wtih the Bolts, same Norv Same lame start, this time the rest of the AFC probably won't choke, unfortunately for us

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I can't believe Norv Turner was our brillant hire.

3yrs later, and I'm still astonished this life loser found another HC job. I guarantee you nobody else would have hired him.

12. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I was hoping someone would have heard this from somewhere besides the snipit I saw on RR tonight.

Like the post game interview. Or was there even a need?

Context is the issue for sure. It isnt his fault or anyones that when they say something it can be read differently by different people. He did say what he said. And like someone countered Coaches are SUPPOSED to be the ones takin the fall/makin moves for players they want/wanted. So this is doubly stupid to start even remotly hinting that he has the right to point a finger...

BUT Yes man Norv doin anything that even comes close to coming across as blaming AJ is insane to me. Maybe we should consider trying to bring him back as a OC or QB coach. I highly doubt any teams are thinkin Norv is HC material now.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +377
    11-5 nuff said.

14. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    When I saw this thread title I just started laughing before I even opened it. :lol:

Meltdown has begun.

15. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Norv Turner The Epic Loser of a Coach needs to never be given a Head Coaching job.

Just fire the Loser already!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jamesboltz21

Jamesboltz21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Why the hell are we blaming Norv Turner? The blame lies with AJ Smith and we all knows this. This is a F#cken business. People are making money and that should be the motivation. Does Norv have a responsibility to Uplift his team (which I'm sure he is doing),yes,but,there is no more chemistry with this team due to the fact that AJ let go of all the talent/leaders. Is our team the best in the league on paper? Yes! But on the field they(coaches and players) have been beaten by there own employers. In business how do you expect your employee to do a job without the tools to do it? It doesn't happen.Therefore,in my opinion, AJ is fully responsible for our record not Norv. The guy got us to the playoffs for the last three years. What we need is chemistry between these players,a large majority are new guys and it seems to me that there is a lack of leadership in the locker room. They have been coached all there lives about fundamental football,but, the leaders that were let go should of been mentors for these rookies so that when they became free agents at least there would be no excuse. But once again that is all AJ......

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    AJ's job is to provide the talent.The talent is there so how can you blame AJ. We kept the same players for a while and it didn't work out too well so AJ dumped the problem children. Norv is the reason LT sucked here (his scheme not AJ's), Norv is the reason we don't run the ball, Norv should be the one coaching the fundamentals/rules to the game. The coach is responsible for the chemistry, he's the one with the players, a quality HC would be more than capable of doing it (look at Belichick, new players all the time).

Compare our offense to our defense. The defense has been great (and Rivera's done it with a bunch of different players, look at the LBs), the offense has made mistake over mistake over mistake, that's Norv's baby and he can't even handle that. Guy is a great OC but he is not a quality HC. It's been proven in Was, Oak and now here.

18. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Goodman played college ball a Florida State University a division one program. He made his first catch in the NFL and lost his composure and made a huge mistake. VJ did the same thing I think? I am pissed at Goodman because he lost himself in the moment and when he could have gotten up and tried to continue the play he celebrated like he had never caught a pass before. What the hell should have AJ and Norv done to keep this from happening? Goodman needs to understand what the hell is going on and just play ball. He is a rookie and will get one more chance (maybe) but this is the players fault plain and simple as far as I see this. That is what I thought Norv was talking about when he mentioned players not handling the ball quote. Goodman better not celebrate anything until he is in the endzone with something to celebrate.

19. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    Norv has been fraying around the edges lately, suspect the self doubt is starting to creep in. He's getting bit by turnovers and you can't tell me ball security isn't taught starting in Pop Warner. Still, good teams NEVER stop harping on it, drilling for it. When you see this many brain farts or losses of the ball, you have to ask yourself what drills and emphasis is being placed on protecting the ball in practice. Just tough to believe coaches are doing everything right and these things are happening in spite of them. Not at this volume.

Still, hard to understand 8 years of college and high school ball and you're still making some of the dumb errors these guys are. Some of these mistakes aren't 'rookie' mistakes they're lack of concentration mistakes IMHO.

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Norv treats his players like adults and expects his position coaches to drill these guys on ball security. He's too busy working on the gameplan and making sure players know where they should be on the field. Still, the guy doesn't panic... ever. And the most amazing thing to me is that we aren't hearing players giving the media any locker room backlash material. You would expect by now that there would be "unnamed players" voicing their opinion on why things are unraveling. Maybe there have been and I've just missed it. I'm sure they've grumbled about AJ, but not Norv. So they must have respect for him. Right?

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Cosign

22. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    [​IMG]

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Who hired Norv and who gave him a 3 year contract extension this last off season? That is why AJ is to blame, on top of that, bad drafts for 3 straight years

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Then he needs to step back and be an offensive coordinator if he is too busy working on a game plan to work with the players.

By the way, have we heard any players question Wade Phillips? Nope, but just like Norv, he is a terrible head coach who should be fired. The difference is, Dallas has an owner that puts winning ahead of Money, and we have Dean Spanos who will not buy out the 3 years on Norv's contract

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    IMO. This is not a shot at AJ. It is a simple statement of fact. Due to injuries or what have you there are players who get called up on Wednesday and need to play on Sunday.

It is more a shot at Norv and the Coaches. Their job is to ensure the players are focused on fundamentals and are ready to play.

What is concerning me on the AJ side of things in the number of movements we are making. Getting a LB, cutting and LB, getting a new LB, and cutting the recently added LB. It smacks of desperation, and definately cuts down on continuity.

26. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    It should smack of desperation. AJ is desperate in trying to find the right LB to fit the puzzle.
    If LB1 doesnt fit or gets injured you seek a replacement. It's rational thinking, nothing that
    isnt out of character for AJ. I know, alot of people will issues with my last sentence, but that's
    their own problem.
    Yes it cuts down on continuity, but we know that CHANGE is the only constant.
    It's time for some change... 2 and 5. I'm ready.
    I'm on board for 11 and 5.

27. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Defo smoke where there is no fire.

Someone has said it already, he's saying jeez with all the injuries we're having we're relying on guys who are not ready/not capable yet of taking responsibility. I disagree. You think Goodman is gonna make the same mistake again?, I doubt it. Give the guy a go on kick returns and watch him pay us back in spades, unlike our 7m dollar man. I didn't get us throwing it to Wilson when we have a more adept pass catching TE in McMichael. I also thought Gates looked OK early on and should have been targeted.

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I don't think it's a full blown 5 alarm blaze but I think it's the first spark. This is by far the first time I"ve seen Norv try to hand off some of the blame to AJ as opposed to taking it himself. And he's blaming AJ for the players' ineffectiveness, something that the coach should take responsibility for.

Is this going to start a feud? Probably not, but its an interesting occurrence

29. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I think Norv is referring more to injuries (Floyd, Naanee, Gates) than personnel.

I'm not giving this any credence until Norv fires Clarence Shelmon and tries to hire his brother as OC.

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Can we let him hire his daughter?