1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv says 1st half Sunday Night will be treated like the real deal..

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chargerfn909, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Do you realize that Mike Tolbert out fumbled Mathews last season?

Why does Tolbert not have to fix it?

Mathews fumbled what 5 times, lost 2? Me thinks the Mathews detractors are making mountains out of ant hills...

3. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    He lost 3.. They BOTH need to fix it.. I am not trying to pick on RM, but to my knowledge he (tolbert) hasn't fumbled in Camp which is a good sign, and RM has.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    How many times has RM fumbled in camp? What was the situation?

Do we have enough information on this to worry that he will fumble more? I would suggest not. Further he was not a fumble machine last season. 5 fumbles, not a huge number.

Everyone needs to work on protecting the ball, and I believe that was stated as one of the focuses of camp.

5. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    5 fumbles in 12 games is HORRIBLE. Not to mention the 12 games he played he never was the ONLY back, he always split carries with Tolbert/Sproles and i'd say other than the last game of the year, he had the lighter load of the 3 in each game they played.

1 that I know of, but in 2 weeks of camp, in which he's missed at least half the time.

The situation? He fumbled, LaBoy recovered and it raised concern amongst coaches...lol

6. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    The #1 defense forced a fumble on the #1 offense. Good for the defense.

7. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Also, Rivers has been throwing picks all camp. I know this because Acee tweets it every time it happens so why doesn't Rivers have to fix it either?

8. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Because it isn't a problem with Rivers in the past. Defend RM all you want, you guys just look ridiculous doing it. You all have me pegged wrong if you think I dont LIKE Rm. I just think he has a lot to work on to get to where he needs to be. The dude struggled big time in his rookie year, came into camp and drew attention because his conditioning, gets dinged up and misses half of a 2 week camp, then puts the rock on the ground.

Hopefully he learns from his mistakes, but if I had to say thus far..It doesn't look like it. Only time will tell.

9. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    I was at 4 camp practices and never saw a pick thrown by Rivers. Tolzien threw 2 when I was there. Sure didnt seem to me that Rivers was throwing badly at all.

10. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Yea I only made it to 1 and he looked flawless.

I do recall a tweet or two about Rivers tossin' a pick. One was to Butler in the end zone during red zone practice. Regardless, do you know how many times he's throwing the ball in practice? An unreal amount. Mathews is sharing carries (when he's there)..It's just apples n oranges when you try to compare the two.

11. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Mathews and Tolbert were both bad, they each had 5 fumbles and lost 3. Tolbert had a few more carries, but only 24 more than Mathews. The most you can say is that Tolbert was slightly less fumble prone. They both need to fix that problem pronto.

• Like Like x 2
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The kid fumbles more due to his running style, you know that straight up approach he takes. That's what reminds me of Chunk Muncie about him, a ton of power and speed and willing to take em all on. It would be nice if he was as aggressive about his conditioning as he is his running. I'm looking forward to watching him grow as a pro and some damn exciting football.

13. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Adrian Peterson has the same problem....... upright runners tend to cough the ball up. They need to continue to work with Mathews to get him to lower his pad level when he hits the hole.

14. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    I honestly think its more that he needs to go down when his progress is done. He keeps fighting and fighting, which is good SOMETIMES but he needs to know when to call it a play and just go down.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'd agree if it does not mean he becomes less aggressive, ball protection is great but knowing not much will stop him after the second line is pure beauty. The fear factor in a guy like Peterson and hopefully Ryann get's defenses on their heels. With the bolt's receivers the sky is the limit once that running game gets rocking.

16. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    To be fair they were both first year starters in the NFL last year with a bunch more pressure than their previous roles. I have some confidence going into this season that they will both perform how people would like them to perform. Otherwise, I might be off the bandwagon as well...

17. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555

Yeah you gotta watch these rapid reports, its not unlikely somebody saw him fumble once yesterday in a drill and they're trying to blow it up into..."MATHEWS STILL FUMBLING!"....even if it was his only one in the last 3 weeks.

5 times for 150 carries is not good, but its not like better RBs haven't been plagued by these issues and fixed them....LT, Tiki, Peterson etc...

18. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    3 weeks? TC has only been going for 2 weeks and he's missed easily half of the time.. Nobody blew anything up, I saw the tweet yesterday that LaBoy recovered a fumble, and the person tweeting (Acehole) was nice enough to not even say who fumbled it.

Right, there were plagued and they fixed it. I still have hope, but again he will be under close surveillance and bet your last buck EVERY team will be going for that football when he has it.

19. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    shouldnt we worry about a scoreboard until the END of the season?

20. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Scoreboard? Nobody is talkin' bout scoreboards, I am saying that he needs to stop fumbling, and so far he hasn't.. We proved we can win without him doing much, so I am far from concerned about our O, I am speaking on his behalf and his behalf only..

ANYWAY, I am more excited about the fact our starters are playing all of the 1st half. I am done discussing Ryan and his fumbling/health, you guys get too defensive.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Here is my point.

You say you like RM, to be frank that doesnt matter you are welcome to your opinion. Good, bad or concly...

However, when discussing RM, you say things emphatically such as "I am saying that he needs to stop fumbling, and so far he hasn't"... Ok that is based on a tweet that he fumbled in camp. You dont know how many times, you dont know the situation, yet you continue to post that he has not stopped fumbling, and to be frank you do not have enough information to make that statement, do you? Are you telling me you are going to go 5 alarm if he fumbles once in camp? The D is trying to strip more in camp than they are trying to take RM down... How many tackles did you see in camp? Any? If they are not tackling, which they are not, then the D is trying to strip the ball. Mountain out of an ant hill. Feel free to disagree I still like you.

You said in an earlier post that he missed half the camp... he did not, he did not participate in team drills. I am actually fine with that because I stood by and watched him get one on one tutlage from the RB coach while the rest of the offense stood around watching 7 v 7. He got more coaching, worked on play direction, foot work etc. That is not such a bad thing is it?

All I am saying is perhaps you might want to cut the kid some slack. We dont have a lot of infomation to go off of to justify the chicken little approach just yet in my honest opinion... ;)

I dont feel the least bit rediculous for posting this...

• Like Like x 1
  22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    You mean like the OP?

:roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    I am done with this uselss argument. Again, I didn't start this thread for you little fan boys to come in here and defend him.

We will get a glimpse at how he will do against a decent (but vanilla) defense come Sunday Night.

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What did you start it for if not to generate discussion? If it ws just to make your statement, you can ask me to close the thread after you post it next time.

By the by... You and not a fan boy?

• Like Like x 1
  25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    1. Get told.
    2. "I am done with this uselss argument."

:roflmao:

26. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Whats the title of the thread? That's the direction I was going, not this on going, never ending debate on whether or not RM can stay healthy or hold onto the damn football.

I simply pasted a link that shows CONCERN from the team because of his fumbling. Whether its 1 or 44 fumbles, I am just pasting a damn link.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    And that is cool. But the forum is for never ending debate. Heck you should have saw it around here when B4L and N4L were posting the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

Besides, back to fan boy, IMHO that is the weakest insult evah... We are all fans of some team here aint we...

But carry on... enjoy your evening, and just remember RM is our back! ;) :roflmao:

28. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    I would never play a preseason game like it was real for even 1 quarter. I would be testing stuff out and players and once in a while use some great stuff.

Heck, I probably wouldn't even play 1 starter the whole pre-season. No way is it worth it. 1 Injury is too much. 5 years under Norv the Starters should know his same exact system every year right?

29. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I saw that Rapid Report last night and this is exactly why I elected to let someone else post it and break the news to the mass chicken littles.

For the news on the gameplan for Sunday, thats awesome imo. I like to see what the final score for the half ends up, then its perfect time to play the second string game.

• Like Like x 1
  30. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Aug. 16, 2011 3:02 p.m. - by Nick Eatman - Garrett: practices against Chargers a good test
    Coach Jason Garrett on the importance of practicing against San Diego twice before Sunday’s preseason game: “Both organizations feel like it’s a good opportunity to just work against another team, see some different looks, see some different players and just see how our players and our team responds to it.” Cowboys RapidReports

Aug. 16, 2011 2:59 p.m. - by Nick Eatman - Cowboys to host Chargers for two practices
    The Cowboys will practice against the Chargers twice this week before Sunday night’s game at Cowboys Stadium (7 p.m, CDT). The two teams will meet in a controlled practice at the Cowboys’ facility in Valley Ranch on Thursday before another practice Friday at Cowboys Stadium. Cowboys RapidReports