1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv says "...we just haven't had a lot of opportunity to use him (M. Turner) more."

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Team's struggles have put damper on Michael Turner's workload

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

November 30, 2007

When General Manager A.J. Smith decided to not trade Michael Turner this offseason, he never said it was because he wanted to have a two-back system.

“I'm insurance,” Turner said this week. “People expect since they kept me, I was going to be playing a lot more.”

Turner was hopeful too. Hey, Norv Turner was too.

“I'm disappointed we haven't been able to use him more,” the head coach said. “But we just haven't had a lot of opportunity to use him more.”

Michael Turner always knew, “LT has got to get his touches before I can get mine.”

LaDainian Tomlinson has rushed just 216 times this season, second-fewest through 11 games in his seven-year career. That helps put Turner's 39 carries in perspective.

So does the fact the Chargers are a different team this year.

Of Turner's 80 carries in 2006, 54 came in the second half, and 37 of those were when the Chargers were winning by more than a touchdown. The Chargers haven't been ahead by big margins this season. The one game they were up big, in Denver, Turner ran 10 times for 147 yards.

“It's been different,” Michael Turner said. “We have a whole new coaching staff, whole new guy calling plays. Games are going different ways. We haven't been the same. We've been struggling.”

Turner is averaging 5.6 yards a carry. But take away runs of 49 and 74 yards at Denver, and his average drops to 2.6.

It was Darren Sproles who spelled Tomlinson at the end of this past Sunday's game because Turner was a little dinged. And Tomlinson didn't exit until there were just three minutes left, as Norv Turner left Tomlinson in to try to get his 110th career rushing touchdown, which would have tied him with Walter Payton on the same day Tomlinson passed 10,000 rushing yards.

“We had a chance to go get a drive,” the coach said of a series that stalled on two holding penalties. “You get 10,000 yards, I would have liked him to go get a touchdown.”

Off and running
    The players have been asking for it for weeks, but Norv Turner resisted for various reasons (playing in a dome, playing the wrong type of team) until Sunday.

“Our guys felt it would help them against Baltimore,” Turner said. “And it was something, in terms of personnel groupings, that would fit. At times it hasn't been the best thing for us.”

The Chargers offense went with its modified no-huddle for most of the 32-14 victory over the Ravens. It's something the Chargers did a lot of the previous two seasons but had not done this year.

“Everyone kind of said (last week), 'Let's give it a shot and see if that can get us going,' ” Philip Rivers said. “I like it. It's real good if you're getting first downs.”

It's probably not a coincidence the offense scored its second-most points of the season and most in six weeks.

Now that the Chargers have it going, the no-huddle could become a weapon to combat the noise Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium. On the road, the crowd noise rises as the visiting offense breaks the huddle. If there's no huddle, sustaining the noise becomes difficult.

“The fans can't stay in a frenzy the whole time,” center Nick Hardwick said. “It definitely helps us.”

CLICK HERE FOR THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Norv says "...we just haven't had a lot of opportunity to use him (M. Turner) mor

Norvicaine....

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Norv says "...we just haven't had a lot of opportunity to use him (M. Turner) mor

Yeah, because you don't get any opportunity on the bench!!! :icon_evil:

GOOD GOD, NORV'S STUPID!!!!
    HE JUST SUNK HIS CREDIBILITY EVEN LOWER!!!

This by far is the dumbest thing I've ever heard a NFL coach say!!!

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

:blink:

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

Norv - what stupid friggin' *******. :tdown:

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554

Uh, I hate to get in the way of some good ol' fashioned Norv bashing,
    but to me:

LT + fewer offensive plays = fewer carries for MT. Am I missing something?

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

With our personnel, there are a lot of different looks that we could give opposing defenses. I think that MT should be a part of that, even if he doesn't actually get the ball. He could be in with LT, with LT & LoNeal, with Na'anee, alone in the backfield w/LT in slot, etc.

A confused defense should equal more offensive success.

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554

Such gimmicks rarely work in the real word. They exist only in the fantasies of the fans. I liked the look we used a bit last year with LT in the slot and MT in the backfield, but the only reason that worked is because it was a novel look. If we did it all the time it would just mean fewer carries for LT. Defenses would adjust.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347

Norval was sold as a coach by AJ and himself on all the New Wrinkles the offense would acquire. A good coach will create opportunities to exploit defenses and the talent of their players. They have consistently tried to run LT inside without success. Rather than keep that up, use the Turner battering ram to soften them up and gain some more yards in the process. Turner is a power guys with shiftier moves than LoNeal. With LT or Naanee in the slot, there's a look that will prevent the focus from falling completely on LT. Even in the standard formations, MT would be an effective blocking back. Quicker to the outside and quicker into the hole than Neal. Ingenuity. Works wonders. Try it, Norval. You'll like it.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

That's what I'm talking about. Mix it up. Keep the opposition guessing. We rag on PR for not looking off receivers - this is a "look off", too. Give them one thing to focus on, hit them with a different weapon. C'mon, you offensive guru - show us something! :tup:

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

This article shows how bad our situation really is.
    Norv can't figure out how to get MT involved?!!
    What a bunch of crap!!!

AJ has fu(ked the fans, the players, the organization, the city, the community and millions of other people!!!

This will make me happy... I want this on the front pages TOMORROW.

[​IMG]

12. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33

This is typical Norv..... "we haven't had the opportunity."

YOU MAKE THE OPPORTUNITY!!!! Stop having the defense dictate to YOU and start dictating to THEM what they're going to do to stop YOU!!!

What about at the start of the game? Is there "opportunity" then? When the score is 0-0 with 14:52 left in the 1st quarter? Any chance that you'd put him in THEN and take some pressure off of LT?

what an a-hole.

But I"m just a fan..... I don't know as much about Norv's job as he does.....

• Like Like x 1
  13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

:yes: