1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv thinks Meachem will be a thousand yard guy.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by !~BOLT~!, Apr 1, 2012.

1. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    http://theredzone.org/BlogDescripti...chem-ready-for-1-000-yard-season/Default.aspx

Chargers coach Norv Turner told Dan Pompei of the National Football Post he wouldn’t be surprised to see Meachem with between 60 and 70 catches and more than 1,000 receiving yards.

“Look at the history of the offense, the things we’ve done,” Turner said. “Meachem is capable of giving us that stat production if he can play a complete season.”

Why hasn’t he done it in five NFL seasons in New Orleans? “He has been in an offense where he’s one of five guys, and they spread the ball out,” Turner said. “He hasn’t been the focal point. I think we try to be balanced, but he will get opportunities to be a big play receiver up the field.”

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I don't see why not, and also don't think that's asking too much from a guy his size and speed. Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him eclipse the thousand yard mark.

3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    He will eclipse the 1000 yd mark if Gates/Floyd are healthy. He won't if they aren't.

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    You don't think a healthy Gates/Floyd will take catches away from him?

I do get the reasoning, less people blocking him and all, but there are other factors as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'll tell you how It's gonna go.

In July we'll hear Meachem isn't quite ready to take the #1 job because he's still learning the system, and it will go to Floyd by default, and like in 2010 Floyd will start hot and hold off Meachem until he gets injured. Just long enough that I expect us to have no 1000 yard receivers but three in the 800-950 range.

6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Under which situation do you see Rivers having more completions/yards:

Meachem, Brown, Royal, and McMichael are our passcatchers, or Meachem, Floyd, Brown, and Gates are our passcatchers?

I think it's pretty clearly the second case. If Rivers throws more completions and has more yards, then Meachem will also have more receptions and yards. If Rivers throws for 4500 yds+, Meachem would only have to accumulate 2/9 of those yds to be over 1000. With Meachem, Floyd, Brown, and Gates as our passcatchers, defenses won't be able to double-team Meachem without getting abused by our other receivers. By contrast, with Meachem, Brown, Royal, and McMichael as our passcatchers, Meachem will always be double-teamed, because McMichael is barely a threat to get a first down, and the other two options are significantly less dangerous than Meachem is.

I think the number of receptions that will get "stolen" by Gates/Floyd will result in far fewer yards than the YAC and deeper passes he'll see from significantly reduced coverage in comparison to the additional attempts into heavier coverage he'll likely see with Gates/Floyd off the field.

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Norv loves his screen game too, which means Mathews and McClain will get a fair share of catches, plus any scat back we may draft. Stats prediction...

Our depth chart as far as receivers go, and the catches I expect they'll get...
    Gates 65-75
    Floyd 55-65
    Meachem 50-60
    Mathews 45-50
    Brown 35-40
    Royal 25-30
    McMichael 20-25
    Goodman 5-10

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think one of the most telling stats for receivers is the percentage of balls thrown to them they catch. Meachem is one of the tops in the league in that category. So if he gets more balls thrown his way in SD, he should have more catches.

Rivers did pretty damn good two years ago when VJ was holding out. He made lots of receivers less talented than Meachem look like studs. I think Meachem is going to thrive in this offense. He's the fastest receiver we've had in quite awhile.

9. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    All of our receivers will be fine if our the O-line can play like they did at the end of the season.

10. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I am kinda thinking it will be Brown and Royal will the the new tandem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    i agree man, Brown showed alot of promise last season when he saw the field. Royal had a down season cause tebow well is tebow run first past second. I wouldnt hesitate to put Meachem, Floyd, Brown, Royal, with no TE on the formation, meachem,floyd,royal, and gates if we have a TE

12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    If Rivers has a slightly more productive season in terms of yards than last year, and Gates is actually healthy, then that would be enough receptions to get the top 3 targets over 1000 yds.

13. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The TE is what allows us to keep defenses from coming in with a dime package or committing a full pass-rush package.

I don't remember the last time this offense, with a healthy Gates, put 4 WRs and a RB in the huddle.

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah it'd be pretty great if we could put 12 men on the field...:laugh:

QB
    RB
    LT
    LG
    C
    RG
    RT
    TE
    WR x 4
    = 12

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I meant 4 WRs and a RB with no TE, while Gates was healthy. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

16. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    its only a penalty if it's caught.lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I agree... our passing O will be better with Meachem and esp Royal. If we can keep Malcom and Gates upright for say 10 games each we are in great shape.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hell, I'm betting that Royal has well over 1k in total offense. We finally have a guy who will really make the slot productive. Norv is gonna use Royal a lot like KC uses McCluster but getting more passes thrown his way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am liking this batch or receivers. All could be very productive, and all would need to be watched by the opposing D. Brown is developing. We may not have a huge standout, but I think this batch of receivers could be more productive than the last two seasons receivers were.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree. I think Meacham could very well have similar numbers to what VJ did last year, and will do so for nearly 1/2 of what VJ got in his new deal

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I don't see Meachem taking the #1 role immediately, but if he does there isn't any reason he shouldn't go 1000yds and 8-9TDs. Durability hasn't been a concern of his.

I still really like Floyd, he made some phenomenal clutch plays for us last year, espescially towards the end of the season. And in 2010 he was on pace for over 1300yds before his hamstring issues.

22. Navybolt

Navybolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0

23. Navybolt

Navybolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope Meachem gets a thosand yards like Nervous Norv touts. But, I doubt it! Norv thought we would win the AFC West in 2010 and 2011. He must be disappointed because winning the West is the top of his agenda. He never figures to go any further than that!

24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The performances may well be the same in terms of catches/yards. The difference is that that will likely only be the case if Floyd/Gates are there, whereas VJ had his 1100 yd season with both of those guys missing significant time. I don't know how/if Royal changes how necesary Floyd will be to Meachem's success, but Gates is still the lynchpin to this offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    This is such an idiotic and oft repeated twisting of what Norv said. Clearly, you can't win the SB in the regular season, so every team's goal in the regular season is to win the division. The fact that Norv said that does not mean that his ultimate goal is not the SB.

• Like Like x 1
  26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I see wide open holes for Ryanna and plenty of open seams for receivers to gallop into if they can keep the MASH unit closed.

27. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    Honestly, I'm not seeing a bona fide #1 here.

The good news is we may have ~five high caliber #2s!
    (and a QB good enough to distribute it and make them all better!)

28. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I do, his name is Antonio Gates.:tup:

When healthy of course.