1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv Turner: 76-75-1 career record not counting Oakland

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HEXEDBOLT, Dec 3, 2009.

1. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    What was Joe Gibbs record this last time around with the Skin's, Just asking?

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Just sayin

3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Why leave oakland out of it? All games count and every coach has gimme games. Pitt has their gimmes (12 games and counting) vs the Browns. NE has owned the bills(12 games and counting) as long as well.

Both those teams have 1 more game to play against each other so they could run theirs to 13 as well.

4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I think he meant not counting his tenure in oakland?

5. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    HAHAHA leaving out oakland? Just cuz they suck ***? Hey man.. if we could leave out all the years the chargers sucked or went under 500 norv would't be the winningest coach in team history. ****... Just count Martys 04 and 06 squads for that matter. Wow look marty went an unbelievable 26-6 in the only 2 seasons that matter....

6. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I don't agree letting them off, however a couple of things to point out.

Norv took over some HORRIBLE teams and had two of the worst GM's in NFL history with Synder and Al Davis. With the Raiders he was given **** and when he lost the first couple of games his first year Al basically took over all personal decisions.

An example would be Al Davis forcing Norv to use a QB that he didnt' want to.

At the end of the last season Norv had he was a lame duck coach barely going through the motions.

As it is don't discount them, however take the Raiders worth a grain of salt. No coach even wants to be there anymore no matter how much you pay them. Al Davis has scared away just about every good coach in the NFL. There is a reason for this.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    If Oakland is a gimme game reason dictates that it's not Norv's fault that he has a bad record there.

That being said, Oakland isn't a gimme game. There's no such thing as a gimme game in the NFL.

I exclude Oakland because given the circumstances at the time I don't think anyone could have came out of that gig with a good coaching record.

In the grand scheme of things it counts, but that doesn't negate the circumstances Norv was in at the time.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Yeah. That's what I meant.

I figured the much better record than the real record made that obvious. I wasn't taking out wins. :lol:

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I was just throwing the stat out there FWIW, dude. Take it with a grain of salt, but acknowledge the fact that nobody could have won in Oakland when Turner was there.

Sure, a better coach might have won 11 or 12 games instead of 9 over the two year span, but it was still a ****** situation for any head coach. (And they continue to prove that long after his departrure.)

Discounting his tenure in Oakland is not quite the same as cherry picking seasons from a head coach's tenure with the same team.

10. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Agreed as I mentioned earlier.

Similar with the Skins where Marty and Gibbs weren't able to do anything Norv didn't.

Bad GMs along with a coach carousel=98% you don't go to the SB.

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Joe Gibbs was 30-34 with the Skin's from 2004 thru 2008. Not as bad as I thought it might have been.

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    :lol:

I was falling back to that old argument that "beating Oakland doesn't count".

Carry on.