1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv Turner believes special teams woes are correctable

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Chargers coach again declines to blame assistant in charge of unit

North County Times
    Monday, October 11, 2010

SAN DIEGO -- With many offensive and defensive players performing at a high level, the Chargers believe that their record could easily be 5-0 instead of 2-3.
    Frustration and disappointment over mistakes that have caused the team to lose three winnable games is mounting among players and coaches.
    But one day after the Chargers made four more critical special teams miscues in a 35-27 loss to the Oakland Raiders, coach Norv Turner said he's not willing to make a scapegoat out of his special teams assistant, Steve Crosby. Turner instead blamed a lack of execution -- a problem he believes is correctable.
    "I know what everyone wants to make it out to be," Turner said Monday. "It turns out to be a blame game. You guys have been around me. You know what I'm about. It ain't gonna turn out to be that with me. We're going to address the things. I look forward. I always look forward. We've got to fix the problems we've had and then we've got to go get better, and that's what we're going to do."
    The Chargers have a lot of ground to cover. Two weeks after they were done in by two Leon Washington kickoff returns for touchdowns in a loss at Seattle, and four weeks after they were burned by Kansas City Chiefs return men Dexter McCluster and Javier Arenas, more holes were discovered in the Chargers' special teams unit.
    Oakland's Nick Miller returned a punt for 46 yards. But the real problem was in the breakdown of a reshuffled punt team that allowed the Raiders to block two Mike Scifres punts, which led to 12 Oakland points.
    Through five games, Scifres has had three punts blocked. Before this season, Scifres had one punt blocked in 393 career attempts.
    Scifres made another mistake when his free kick soared out of bounds after the first blocked punt led to an Oakland safety. That gave the Raiders possession at the 50-yard line to start a drive that ended with a 50-yard field goal by Sebastian Janikowski.
    Turner said he was pleased with the team's kickoff coverage. He believes that those problems have been addressed and are unrelated to the punt team.
    "They're different guys involved in the deal," Turner said. "Some of the guys that were involved in the ones in the first game obviously are no longer here. We've made some changes, and we're going to continue to look at what we need to do to help ourselves be better."
    Could that include starters joining special teams to help out?
    Inside linebacker Stephen Cooper is willing to do his part. Cooper said he spoke with Crosby on what he described as a "quiet" flight home on Sunday and informed him that he would help if asked. Cooper added that Chargers players don't think the coaches are the problem.
    "(Crosby) keeps coaching the same way he has in the past, but players aren't getting the job done on the field," Cooper said. "I talked to him on the plane. I told him, 'I'm ready to go on punt, kickoff, whatever you need, even if I have to take a play off for defense.' "
    Turner said he thinks the Chargers can correct their mistakes and take advantage of the outstanding play by the offense and defense. He said it's the accountability within the locker room that convinces him that the team can rebound.
    "I think everyone steps up and understands their responsibility," Turner said. "When they don't get it done, they understand they're going to be coached that way. They understand there's going to be repercussions. Obviously, we've made changes, and that's why we've always responded. Because we always have doesn't mean we're going to this time, but I know where I'd bet. I'd bet on this group and I've got a lot of confidence in them."

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Of course it can. STs is arguably the easiest phase of the game to fix. Its not a talent issue with offense, or a scheme issue with defense like it was in 07'-08' with Ted Cottrell. I don't think many people appreciate how small the average margine of victory is in the NFL, and how much giving up 30pts in 5 games on STs can cost you.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Just fire the ST's Coach already. Miami did. We should too.

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Other than quench our bloodlust, I don't see what firing Crosby would do. I understand the whole "sending a message" argument, but if the players don't get the message about the importance of special teams now, they never will. Firing Crosby seems like it would be doing something just for the sake of doing it. Miami scapegoated their special teams coach. Did it make them better? It remains to be seen. Unless there's some amazing unemployed special teams master we are going to bring in to explain the astounding complexities of blocking and tackling to our special teams players, then I don't really see what good it will do. Crosby is the same special teams coach that was here when the Bolts were among the league's best in most ST categories.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I believed it after week 1, now I'm not

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Special teams are for the scrubs in danger of losing their jobs in the NFL.

Our scrubs suck.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Our coaches do too.

8. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    CoSigned

9. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    As my sig says FIRE STEVE CROSBY NOW!!!!!

10. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    It's no coincidence that the Chargers have had one of the ugliest runs of special teams play in recent memory. Under Norv Turner the Chargers has never been prepared for the regular season. And it means squat that it's a special teams problem this year versus the offensive or defensive issues of the past. This latest early season meltdown stems from the same root cause as the other early season meltdowns... poor coaching.

Pfft... "lack of execution." As if a lack of execution just manifests itself out of thin air. Man up, Norv.

That said. Norv has been able to rally the troups every other year. I'll hold my "fire Norv" comments until the Bolts' playoff fate has been decided.

11. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

BrecksOnlyBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    Well then Norv. You are the Head coach. ******* FIX IT. It seems to be a 50/50 chance for our opponent to score on ANY special teams play.

Its unbelievably frustrating.
    And Crosby should have been kicked out of the building at halftime. Fire his *** now

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I too think this is on Norv as well. I mean look at the elite teams in the AFC (us not being one of them right now) A playoff team does NOT have horrible special teams like we have, bad teams do. I agree I don't remember in the last 5 years when a punt was ever blocked! That's just inexcusable! We better get that shiat fixed real quick or we'll be watching other teams participate in the playoffs...:mad:

F this. Time to put some starters on Special teams asap. We cannot afford to have blocked punts and long returns on us anymore. At least Cooper said he would volunteer for ST duty if that's what it takes. Maybe the other starters should volunteer as well. We fix this one area, we'll be a great team! Do what you have to do Norv and Crosby!!!!!

13. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Great I feel much better now.

14. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I think cutting Spillman sent a message. Like, "hey if you don't perform this simple task called tackling a runner then you're off the team"

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    i'd feel a hell of a lot better if he hadn't said the same freakin thing after the KC debacle, only to repeat it in Seattle. Then at Seattle they said they'd fix it, they did for ONE GAME vs Arizona and then did it all over again in Oakland.

I'll believe it when I see it, until then it's ****ing Bull****

16. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    what kinda freaks me out is it is always something different with the special teams each week. I am worried we will get our kickoffs blocked in St Louis this sunday. :D

I am sorry to say Sproles is not doing it and he needs to give way to Goodman and give him a chance at KO returns. he did well in preseason so let see if he can do it prime time. Provided the Rams dont block our kickoffs.