1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Norv Turner Discussion Thread; The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by robdog, Sep 26, 2011.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    Our fearless leader is a hot topic, so we created a specific thread where all the love, hate and anything in between can be discussed.

Since this thread exists, I do not want to see threads derailed with excessive Norv talk. He can be mentioned in a thread but no going off the rails. (use common sense to figure out the limits)

So to starting off this thread, we are 2 and 1 right now. Coaching has been OKAY. I am still on the fence for Norv this season. I would say it is make or break, but AJ is not going to fire Norv and get a better replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    I dont like Norv. But I still cheer for Us.

I H8 *with a passion* Josh McDbag! I gotta hate the Rams some just for being STUPID enuff to give him a job at all!!

3. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    It is tough at times to like the emotionless being known as Norv Turner. But he is going to be around for a long time with a QB like Phillip Rivers to make him look good. (well most of the time)

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wouldnt say hes emotionless or Soft like alot have learnt to be his MO and ran with, but he is a fired up coach I just rather see him as OC and RR as HC here. That of course is out already. BUT hey I am a bigger FAN of the players and the colors of the team than I am of the puppet masters. It would be cool to have a Great coach or a GM that you dont even know the name of *cause thats how GMs are considered great much like Secondary players* and only have the losing to bitch about, BUT this team has a traditon of doing it their way aka the HARD way. I am all for the stay true mentality, but I can see reasons for doubters. In the end once we do finaly get THERE we wont even have to say we did it the hard way, everyone else will be saying we did.

5. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Run up the middle for minimal gain. :cautious:

6. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    I am a big fan of Norv Turner and I will still cheer for us if he is driven out of town... (not very damn likely so long A.J. is the general manager). What appeals to me that the system Norv runs dates back to Sid Gillman and the very origins of the Chargers.

My favorite article... (for the literate ones... unfortunately a minority amongst the detractors).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/dr_z/news/1999/10/28/inside_football/

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,152
    The Who said it best:
    Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

• Like Like x 1
  8. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Good read. The WC offense stuff, I still dont like Norv all that much. But I think this time, this coach AJ has to take accountability for fail or sucsess and that could go as far as being removed from his position. I dont like that and I have been challenging many who are/have been ready to hang em high on AJ as to find me the NEXT good GM. Clearly having a Great GM doesnt do enuff so might as well jus settle for a guy from a twitter contest.
    Norv should be demoted to OC, this might be what he needs to let him just purely focus on Offensive skeemin and gameplans.

Just my O.

9. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Let's see how the season plays out. I refuse to take a negative view prematurely.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
  11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I've never seen the logic in the "if you can't name me a better GM/HC/OT/etc, then one must not exist" reasoning. Internet forumheads don't have that market exactly cornered because they don't have half the information that league insiders do. So it's a silly line of reasoning.

I prefer to look at the existing evidence rather than deal in the hypothetical "name me a better dude" that leads to endless quibbling.

For AJ, I look at his drafting skeels. And his first and second rounders in the last five years have been, as a group, wretched. Sure, there are a few guys in there that have worked out: Mathews for instance and Liuget & Gilchrist have potential. But if you're a "no street FA" guy, you need to build through the draft. And he's failed in that regard. So the evidence seems to suggest that he's not a Great GM by any means, of course imo.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +498
    Linky:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/867176-chargers-are-on-the-verge-of-a-fast-start-but-is-norv-turners-job-on-the-line

Something more from the BR on Norv and about how he sucks as a head coach.
    All stuff that we already know...just a read that brings us up to speed.
    I'm on the Fire Norv Committee now and I'd like to add Clarence Shelmon to
    the list of coaches we can do without. Really, what does Shelmon bring to the offense?
    He brings jack as far as Coordinating any kind of offense. He's a running backs coach,
    no more, no less.
    In fact, this post of mine brings about as much to the Chargers Offense as Clarence Shelmon does.

13. BmoreChargersfan

BmoreChargersfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I love Norv the criticism is unfair....he is judge off Jobs @ Washington @ Oakland......And in washington he had 4 winning seasons...in which Brad Johnson and Frerotte had best years....Al Davis is Al Davis and thats why we hired him as our OC in 01....He will have greater sucess With Rivers and there is no one else I'd rather have than Norv........Go Chargers

14. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    He who uses uses the Bleacher Report to state a case is intellectually on the level of writing parking tickets.

15. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +498
    LOL.
    ...and he who uses Norv Turner as their Sig is intellectually on the level of a parking ticket.;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Loser. I have the coach I want. You don't!

17. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +498
    Name-calling, intellectual indeed.
    I think what you meant to say is: "I have the loser coach I want. You don't!"
    You had all the words right, just not in the proper sequence.
    Go Bolts!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Wow! You are certainly the bright light in the mud pit. Congratulations. :D

19. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    Bleacher report... LOL. It's quite a stunning revelation of the name itself, because it certainly belongs in the bleachers and nowhere else.

20. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Amateurs quoting amateurs as a basis of fact. The Taliban Wing of Norv detractors are allowed to operate here unimpeded. Equal rights to those who support our football club's coach. Hopefully the meter readers will bring their A game. :D

21. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +498
    While I attack the coach, you merely attack me as a way of defending the coach.
    So far, for the record we have:
    1."Meter Maid" (as far as my intellect is concerned)
    2. Loser (rather plain and simple...something that my parking-ticket-handing-out-mind can easily grasp)
    3. Bright light in the mud pit (new one on me...trying to grasp the meaning, oh wait...aha I get it now!)

I'm sure you've got plenty of more names you want to call me so without
    further ado, I'll step aside and the podium (mud pit) is all yours...oh wait, just one more thing...
    Your possible alternative response: contributing something useful to the thread (putting a lot of faith in you here).
    p.s. the Bleacher Report article was included in this thread as not the only bit of evidence of Norv's ineptitude,
    just as one more piece of evidence.

22. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Does Joy Erection fit? (dunno... hardly had time to consider something better).

Happy travels. You are "evidently" served better elsewhere.

23. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +498
    No, Joy Erection isn't going to do. I had much higher hopes. Thanks for the walking papers, guess you win.:(

24. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Nobody wins. Nobody changes anybody else's minds on what they feel passionate about. That is the nature of message boards. If you want a respectful argument don't come in quoting garbage publications. That would be a good start.

25. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,358
    [​IMG]

26. Joy Division

Ratings:
    +498
    Hey Sandolf, you're right, I'm not here to "win anything." I'm also not here to change your mind on what you feel passionate about. As far as that being the nature of message boards, that's not exactly true. I've been a supporter of Norv up until the Chiefs game a few days ago. Since then (yeah 3 days ago and apparently it's been a long time coming), I've changed my views about Norv from all the accumulated information and experiences watching games ever since he was hired to lead our team. It's true that some posters on this specific message board will not change their mind about how they feel about Norv one way or the other. These are the people that aren't here to discuss anything. Can you envision anything that will change your mind on this topic? If the answer is no, then logically, we don't have anything to discuss. Yes, I do want a respectful argument and no I wasn't quoting the BR. If you look back you'll notice that I never quoted anything from that publication, I merely put the link up for others to read and by your ensuing response I'm going to assume that you probably didn't take the time to even read it. I'm aware that it's not an Ig Nobel Publication or even on level with ESPN when it comes to articles, to me it was just another article about Norv. So if you feel like responding, see if you can do it without calling me names. No, I don't take it personal and you're not hurting my feelings or any such dumb thing. I just don't feel like wasting anyone's time (including my own) on defending myself from name-calling, it's just not really part of the thread topic...it's playground shite. If you can't do that, then what's the point right? Anyway, think about the question that's in bold and get back to me if you like.

• Like Like x 1
  27. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    That's a good jumping off point imo. Aside from the bizarre playcalling on drive 1 (which he's fixed), and his strange allegiance to giving the other team the ball at the beginning of the game (which maybe he's fixed), I've enjoyed watching Norv's playcalling. It's been a damn sight better than Marty's pucker factor, imo.

That said, I wonder why our DCs end up vanilla under Norv. Now, apparently, Manusky got a ration after the NE game. But we'll see how that develops.

Relatedly, and to give an honest answer to Mr. Curtis's (RIP) question, I don't see how Norv could change up his offensive playcalling enough for me to change my mind on his offensive coaching skeels. He is what he is, not perfect, but damn people, he goes for it. However, he's had 3 DCs go vanilla during his reign here. At some point, you've gotta start thinking it might not be the DCs. Alternative explanation, we don't have the OLBs to make QB pressure work. It's possible, but if Manusky turns out more shite like the NE game, like Teddy did, like RR sometimes did, I see a common thread.

Course, in the end we should just shitcan AJ, but that's another thread. ;)

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Norv didn't call his own number to get in the game in SD - Baby Spanos & AJ did that.

It's just another brick in the yellow-paved one to LA. The smoke is just too thick for many to see the truth.

29. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Nice article, lot of great names.

I think Norv could get us there if we commit to upgrading our offensive line

30. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Joy D. Thanks for your thoughtful offering. Unfortunately I am on a business trip... but I will get back to you as time allows.

Cheers...