1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Norv Turner Discussion Thread; The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by robdog, Sep 26, 2011.

1. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +57
    Hes got to have a running game to pull that off!

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +236
    AJ and Norv have to go after the season. This team lacks discipline and for last few seasons lack the Talent to play against quality teams. Where is that pro bowl team that took 11 players to Hawaii? Even if Norv and AJ aren't let go something Big must be changed or else we are going to be cellar dweller. Just my 2 cents.

3. airbolt

airbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    The reality is we don't have the horses any longer. Flat out. Rivers knows it, but pushes forward, which is admirable. Dean Spanos is a weak *** owner, but even he must see that AJ Smith has fielded a team that is mediocre at best, and awful at worst.

So any of this b.s. about sacking Norv, without firing AJ Smith is useless. A smart owner would have replaced Smith a few years ago with Buddy Nix. But Dean is just the very average son of a rich old guy who built cheap *** apartments in the Central Valley. We know what an *** the old man was, Dean is more polished but not as bright. Spanos family chased Don Coryell, Bobby Ross, & Marty out. Does anyone really expect Dean to make the right decision now?

4. airbolt

airbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Nix likely got tired of AJ getting all the credit.

April 30, 2008 8:39 PM

Buddy Nix is no longer the San Diego Chargers assistant vice president and director of player personnel.
    After this past Sunday's NFL draft, the former Chattanooga Mocs head coach told his boss he was retiring.

Buddy coached the Mocs from 1984-92, then became a scout for the Buffalo Bills, joining the Chargers in 2001 as player personnel director. He was promoted to assistant GM in 2003. He was a MAJOR part of the Chargers turnaround... they were dreadful before Nix moved west... the Chargers have won the AFC west title three times in the last 4 years... they fell one win shy of going to the Super Bowl last season.

Nix, who's 68 years old, and still lives in Chattanooga, told me tonight he's had a bunch of offers since news of his leaving San Diego came out. He's going to carefully consider all of those options before making a decision.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Could you let us kow who wrote that or provide a link in the future please?

Thanks.

6. airbolt

airbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Take the loss of Nix, add the lackluster coaching of Norv, and the bad decisions made by AJ & you can see why the Bolts are where they are now. This didn't happen overnight, but the residual effect has been devastating.

7. airbolt

airbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Will do.

8. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +193
    so.... with whom would you replace AJ? I am not saying he should or should not go, things are not looking good, but there is someone in the wings, that will take over, someone that has risen the ranks of pure nepotism... John Spanos, who has risen quickly in the ranks, and not due to his brilliance.

9. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +57
    ROB RYAN anyone???

This guy has gotta be the next Chargers coach! But the only way thats going to happen is if AJ is sent packing also. Come on Mr Spanos...make the right decision.

10. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +236
    No thanks don't want a Ryan coming here. Besides their better options out there.

11. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I really hope these owners take their time choosing the next coach of this team. It would be nice for them to hire a capable GM too. The problem is; I just have this sickening feeling that Norv and AJ will be here again next season, driving us to the bottom of the AFC West.

12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    The blurb re-posted above was by a Tennessee talking head named
    Darrell Patterson. His is not quite worthy of a Wikipedia page yet ;)
    though he's been around forever...and his NFL expertise is...well...
    he has nice teeth.

Also, the local Chattanooga mini-story was not called
    "Nix likely got tired of AJ getting all the credit"
    but rather "Buddy Nix Quits San Diego Chargers."

13. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Norv never takes control of the game. He waits to see what and how the other team plays him. He never uses hurry up and never tries to throw the other team off. Being an aggressive coach/leader is not in his personality. I believe the game has passed Norv by.

14. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +57
    Yeah, Norv is a "Reactionary" coach. There is a famous football coach called Jose Mourinho (Real madrid) that is a famous for that style, however, he also is famous for having a successful base tactic that he can start from.

15. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +236
    Norv Turner is absolutely and without a doubt they worst coach in history. I am speechless at how dumb a NFL coach can actually be.

• Like Like x 2
  16. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +57
    The guy just gets to overwelmed at the games! He might be as prepared as any head coach can be but on the sideline he looks looks like he wants to be up in the booth looking down on everything with no other people around...ala his coordinator days.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    • Like Like x 2
  18. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I listen to Norv at his news conferences and the guy knows football. He knows a lot of stats and facts. I can see why Dean said ok on his hiring. But let's face it the guy can't lead and motivate as EVERYONE has been saying. Now if he really was a good coach and leader right now should be extremely EASY for him with all these injuries. There are so many guys that would just like the opportunity to prove that they deserve to play. And that chance is TODAY and Norv still can't take advantage of so many desperate guys. Regardless of the competition, Norv should be able to create a better reputation than what he has. He couldn't win with GREAT players and he cant win with guys who are fighting for a career. Norv just doesn't fit in.

• Like Like x 1
  19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    I agree with this down to the T.

Norv is a coward, he is a reactionary coach, he doesn't show any creativeness in his play calling, and he flat out proved he doesn't understand football when he said...."I think we need to be more cautious.":mad: What a clueless little ***, even my wife asked why we kept running the ball up the middle when our O-line was getting raped.

We need a coach with some spark, a guy who emphasizes the trenches and toughness, who will recommitt the offense to running the ball with authority but who also knows when its time to put the game in Rivers' hands. Rex Ryan or someone like him would have been perfect for this team.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Boltz

Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    The team's mentality and physicality reflect the head coach. Look at the most physical teams in the NFL, then look a their head coach. Rex Ryan and the Jets, Mike Tomlin and the Steelers. I could never see a physical team being led by Norv Turner, that is just who he is. He isn't a motivator and his players underperform, simple as that

21. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I was shocked to read that Norv said that they don't practice the 2 minute drill.. WHAT!!!! That might be the most crucial part of the game next to the Red Zone. This is the mentality of the so called Offensive Genius? No wonder why we can't win and every year the team went down. I am assuming Norv likes to get close enough for a field goal. The team looks confused as what to do in the Red Zone.

I don't like digging up old dirt and comparing ex coaches but I can't remember this many injuries to a team. Marty had the dreaded Oklahoma drills but it seems that the players were better conditioned and in football shape starting at game 1. I do not know what Norvs football shape conditioning drills are so if anyone knows...

22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Look at Laurent Robinson.
    Look at Bryan Walters

Do you need anymore proof that this franchise needs a house cleaning? They let a wimpy little white WR scare them into giving him a roster spot with the ghost of Wes Welker, and they cut the better more developed player who could have helped us this year.

Its really not that hard to spot talent, the Chargers just make it look that way.

23. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I don't think Norv is coming back, and for once I don't think that is wishful thinking.

• Like Like x 1
  24. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I think Norv will be back for the simple reason of all the injuries. AJ will stand up for Norv after all it is AJs face he is trying to save now in front of Spanos and us fans. But it is Norv lack of conditioning and practice habits that have make this team falter..

25. Fender57

Fender57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I can't see how Norv survives. The fanbase would go nuts.

26. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    I could see AJ sticking around for another year. Norv Turner I hope you enjoyed San Diego and its beautiful weather but my man, you're *** is grass and Ima smoke it.

27. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,628
    And not buy tickets.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Hey... If there are no basements in San Diego, due to the water table and earthquake probability... Whoes cellar are the Chargers supposed to dwell in for the forseeable future?

I'm soo confused...

• Like Like x 1
  29. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +57
    ewww

30. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +236
    Except against the Jaguars.