1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv Turner for NFL Coach Of The Year ???

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chargers-Superhero, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    O.K., your thoughts and opinions on this. Who deserves the coach of the year. I think Norv should win it. Sean Peyton of N.O. would be 2nd.

Jim Caldwell??? Come on, anybody could have came in that situation and won there. Manning does it all there anyway.

Seriously, I think Norv overcame the most to put together this season, whether you like him or not.

Why not :icon_shrug:

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I don't know whether or not he should get it but Caldwell will get it being a rookie coach at 14-1 and all.

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We win the Super Bowl... I agree.
    Otherwise... NO!!!

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Don't they give the award before the SB?

5. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Coach of the year is voted on before the Super Bowl, for the regular season just like MVP, etc.

Based on regular season, I say he should get it.

Caldwell no. :no: I think he was in the right place at the right time. Norv has done alot more juggling players and injuries, and keeping this team focused, more so than 2008, 2007, and Marty in 2006 IMO.

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I agree to an extent about Caldwell, but be that as it may if I were to place a bet on who'll win it I'd put my money on Caldwell.

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Yeah but we hired a new coach to take us to the promise land and win it. Anything less is failure!

IMO... had we kept Marty, we would have won a few playoff games (at the very least).

I'll buy into this re adjusting under Norv if it leads to a Super Bowl victory. If it doesn't... it means **it!!!

I'll give Norv credit so far BUT he was given a Lamborghini and three years to learn how to drive it.
    IT'S TIME TO WIN THE RACE... NO MORE EXCUSES!!! :bolt:

8. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    IMO, he spent the last few years learning how to drive stick, this year he's gettin' on the freeway.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Not unless we win SBXLIV

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :bolt: :tup:

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    None of this negates the facts that they give the award out before the Super Bowl.

What do you expect them to do? Give it to Norv on a conditional basis and revoke it if the Chargers don't win it all?

If you were responding to (yet another) thread asking for a basic opinion on Norv I can see your points, but this thread is asking about a specific award that is handed out before the Super Bowl so it makes no sense to say he should only win it if they win the Super Bowl.

12. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Caldwell will lead the The Colts to 15-1, the best record in the league, and doesn't have many bonehead decisions on that very short record. Norv has done a fantastic job using the team, save for some awful calls in the beginning, but Caldwell has done better. It's kind of like the MVP talk - make sure people know Rivers is a contender but we'll never give it to PR.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I get all of that.
    Marty got it in 2004 because we sucked for over a decade. Getting us to 12-4 and making it to the playoffs (at that time) was BIG TIME over achievement.

Now... we need move than a few playoff wins.

14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    And the team was what...4-12 the year before?

If someone wins an award within the stated parameters, mazeltov!

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He deserves respect for the turnaround he has led with this team. but he needs to remember that THE GOAL is to win it all

16. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    And who was gonna call the plays when when Marty stuck around? Cam was gone regardless. So....Marty was going to call our offense? Dont forget what Norv does best.

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Why are some posters arguing with me that Norv doesn't need to win a Super Bowl? :icon_shrug:

My point was/is that if our goal was just to win a few post season games, there would be no need to get rid of Marty. STOP ARGUING!!

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Who's arguing that?

19. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    They are not arguing with you about Norv at all B4L. We All Want the Same Thing Which is A Super Bowl Victory. The Chargers just have to get there. We have been getting close. San Diego just needs to take it the next step which is getting to the Big Game then Win it.That is why I am also stating here as My reason why I am so Happy we Got rid of Marty is the 1 and Done in the Playoffs. All Marty could do is get there to the Playoffs and then Fail on Epic Proportions.

I do still agree with you B4L on this as well if Norv Turner does not help in getting us a Super Bowl Victory then he needs his Pink Slip. We do need a Coach that will get us there to the Super Bowl and win it.

Now to get this thread back on topic. I do not think Norv should get the Coach of the Year because Caldwell Has More wins with the Colts. If the chargers would be equal in Wins as the Colts then I would most definitely say give it to Norv due to the Injuries we have had.

20. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    The same Lamborghini Marty couldn't even get out of the garage. I love how nothing short of a Super Bowl gets Norv any love, but you idolize a guy who couldn't win a freaking playoff game. You like to throw around this Super Bowl or failure measuring stick, but I guess it doesn't apply to Marty? By that standard, Marty has failed 21 times, and Norv only 12 times.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Don't bother, SL

He'll just remind you that the Chargers were ****** before Marty took over (conveniently forgetting the fact that he's referring to a full half decade before the season in question) and that somehow absolves him of not being able to win in the playoffs.

Meanwhile, Norv should be able to waltz into the Super Bowl with ease with the team "Marty" built (Naturally, AJ gets no credit for drafting the players) but has failed to do so. Achieving the same level of success...and more....than Marty has has no bearing for Norval.

I hope I didn't miss anything. Please feel free to fill in the blanks, B4L.

22. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    That sounds about right.

I think B4L has a program that has a handful of themes and statements. When he wants to create a post, he hits GENERATE and it spits one out.

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

What part of that is untrue? :icon_shrug:

As for the second part... YOU'RE RIGHT ON TARGET!! :yes:

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Not many coaches would have been able to duplicate what Norv has done this year. Right out of the blocks, this team was hit with major losses. Most teams and coaches would come up short of a winning season if put in the same situation.

Speaking of Super Bowls, the list of coaches compared to wins is a short one. Wouldn't it be great If Norv could become the first to achieve the three peat, it's never been done to my knowledge.

25. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    According to B4L's stated criteria, Marty was an abject failure as well. What part of that is untrue?

One and done against the Jets
    Missed playoffs entirely
    One and done against the Patriots

According to B4L, a complete failure.

Next!

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    :icon_rofl:

The statement being true doesn't make your argument valid.

Again. the Chargers didn't achieve the level of success that you praise Marty for until a full 5 years after the time frame in question. (him taking over)

But, since your argument centers around what can and should be done with the current team, if you compare Marty's last three years to Norv's first three they're pretty much even.

The only difference is, Norv's won playoff games.

And no, that doesn't mean that's all I'm satisfied with. It just means Norv's done more with this team than Marty did, yet you think Marty was successful here.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I think the Bills are the only team to ever make the Super Bowl three times in a row (as well as four)

28. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

You love multiple fact check... don't you?!!! :yes:

The team Marty was handed... 5-11... followed but 1-15.
    How do you turn a team that bad into a playoff team?
    Well Marty did it!!!

BTW... Does all your hate for Marty include John Butler (bless his heart)? Why not? We were 4-12 before his passing.

I think he and Marty should get lots of credit for turning a **it franchise into a winning franchise.

Norv was handed a Lamborghini with many extra weapons.
    If he crosses the finish line in first place, he did it!!!
    If not... he's garbage!!!

So easy to understand!!!!

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Fail!!!

Norv didn't have to do anything but avoid being an obstacle.
    Marty had to develop and build.

One guy was handed a million dollars.
    The other was handed a dollar.
    Soooooo Freakin' easy to figure out!!! :yes:

So easy, a cave man can figure it out!!! :yes:

Remember, that was the talk all over here when Norv took over!!!

30. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    That nomorenorv guy would flip if Norv won