1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv Turner in place next year and beyond

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Electric Chair, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20071203-9999-1s3chside3.html

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Norv Turner walked from the field with a smile, triumphant for the first time in Arrowhead Stadium and first time over the Chiefs.

There were actually people in the stands calling his name. He raised his hand to acknowledge them.

It was a sight Chargers fans could perhaps get used to.

They'd better.

Even if the Chargers were to lose their final four games and not make the playoffs – a likelihood that seems increasingly remote after yesterday's 24-10 victory over the Chiefs increased their AFC West lead to two games – Turner will not be fired.

“He's going to be here no matter what,” a high-ranking club official with knowledge of team President Dean Spanos' thinking said yesterday. “He was always going to be here no matter what.”

Spanos declined comment, saying he will assess all personnel moves at the end of the season.

General Manager A.J. Smith also said, “We do everything at the end of the year.”

Smith did reiterate his stance that the hiring of Turner was part of a long-term plan and expressed surprise the coach's status would even be questioned.

“We're out to win a championship together,” Smith said. “It's not debatable week-to-week. I'm aware of all the speculation. But if they know how we operate, this is not a one-year chase for the Super Bowl.”

Click link for full article.

2. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    BFISA will be happy to hear this...

3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Oh man somebody better hit the meltdown button.

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    In AJ I Trust.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Hey, we are getting hot. Lets see what he can do the rest of the way. I have to say though, I hope Jaba the Coach is gone in the off season.

6. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Don't know what to think, I'm not a fan but if the team starts showing improvement then what the hell, but I do want Teddy gone :yes:

7. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Norv needs to make it to at least the AFC champoinship, and then I will eat crow, and start to believe... although, knowing Spanos, like the article says, if we lose out, and go 7-9 we will still see him next year.... :tdown:

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    But what if Cotrell had an epiphany yesterdad and starts beeing more aggresive? :icon_shrug:

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Just wait for it. B4L will be here with the doom and gloom shortly....

10. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    There were articles just like this about Marty last year. It doesn't mean anything.

Norv out - McDaniels in! :icon_toast:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    By all accounts i've heard Ted Cottrell is a goner next year AND Norv will be told to start grooming a REAL offensive coordinator. Norv won't be allowed to both run the offense and be the head coach (which is a smart thing to do).

But honestly this isn't surprising - from 1-3 to where we are now, the team's made a strong turn around and with that the head coach naturally gets some safety in his job situation.

12. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

:yes:

13. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288
    Who have you heard will replace him
    Ramsdell or Shelmon??

14. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    It just confirms what many have suspected all along. Getting rid of Norv after one season is a pipe dream. I will add that the team does seem to be buying in on both sides of the ball, and if yesterday was representative of what we are going to expect to see in the coming weeks, the entire staff deserves to stay. Winning one Playoff Game will be enough for me to eat crow.

I, too, trust AJ Smith.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    DC - My guess is it'll be either Ron Rivera or John Pagano with an outside chance on Bradley. Its no secret they think Rivera can be a DC, its just he has never been in a 3-4 so give him a year to learn the system and I think he could take over.

OC - Hell I have no idea. My idea is it could be Ramsdell, Shelmon, Lofton or someone from the outside (if its this, my money's on Cam Cameron)

16. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Please don't tell me that you heard all of this from your sources.

17. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

About Rivera, I heard that they weren't happy with his lack of aggression in Chicago, I hope they were wrong.

I can see Cam coming back here, I really don't know how you can bring a coach back who doesn't win a game ALL year. So I can see Cam getting the boot and coming home :yes:

18. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    :icon_rofl:

Rivera wants to be a HC so I'm not sure about him as a solution at DC for more than one season.

Maybe let Norv select a few coaches for his staff. :icon_shrug: I know it's a novel idea to have a HC with his own coaches. Since Norv was brought in so late he basically is using Marty's left-overs and a couple of AJ Smith specials. In all the Norv bashing it should be taken into account that he had no say on his coaching staff. Smart money says that he brings in a few of his guys this off season.

19. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    That crap is so not Cam's fault, he was forced to make due with an empty cabinet on offense and an aging and crappy defense in addition to poor player moves (I don't care how you stack it, Ginn and Beck suck more then Quinn and Sidney Rice/Dwayne Jarrett, etc would have). SO cam gets the blame, he's not going to be HC material for a bit and he could come back to San Diego to rebuild his reputation.

As to Rivera, all I heard was he didn't get along well with Lovie Smith (who's a Defensive guru too). Rivera defense was good at one thing and that's the takeaway.

These are from OPEN SOURCES - all you have to do is read between the lines what the head guys said

20. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I figure the 'phins are giving Cam a free pass this year. Chambers was the last play they had that resembled a skilled offensive veteran. They have nobody on offense right now, and I mean literally NOBODY. Cam will be the HC of the Dolphins next year, bank it.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We have looked like a team in the last two games as opposed to just a group of players but keep in mind who we played.

Call it what you will but in the English language, it's called "REALITY!!!"

Are you ready to start calling out the Patriots?!!!

I say "lets see what team shows up in the post season!!!"
    :bolt:

22. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

I would tend to agree with you , but to not win ONE game ALL year that maybe pretty tough to sell to the fan base.

23. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Yeah, I don't think Cam would survive the first 0-fer season in history. They need to pull out 1 win for him to keep his job next year, but that would be classic if MIA was the only team to go undefeated and winless. :lol:

The fans were not enamored with his #1 in Ginn pick, so he has 1 strike in their minds already.

As far as bringing him back here, not gonna happen. Don't see that in any scenario. Maybe he can take Norv's old Job in SF. :icon_shrug:

24. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    I won't be pleased unless he wins the Super Bowl....or, at the very least, loses in the playoffs to the juggernaut Patriots

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

:yes:

26. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    One Playoff win will be one more than the POS Marty won.

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yeah but that's not enough.

You hand the driver keys to a Maserati, the minimal you'll accept is third place.
    Especially with a major upgrade added half way!!!
    In this case, the minimal would be AFC Championship.

28. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    :lol:

29. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't think anyone would be blaming Norv if say the Chargers win a WC game vs Jacksonville and loose the divisional in NE (as long as it's a close game).

30. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    But Marty ALREADY HAD the keys to the Maserati, and drove it off a cliff on the first curve, TWICE, and never got the Maserati to the first curve in between. Yet, you continue to lionize him. You are very inconsistent in your standards.