1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv Turner is an "elite coach"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Herm Edwards: Norv Turner is elite coach
    August, 28, 2012
    By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

Whether it was covering him when he was the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs or talking to him and watching him as an analyst on ESPN, what I’ve always appreciated about Herm Edwards is he says what he feels.

He may raise an eyebrow or two with his opinions, but they are his opinions and he means what he says. I’m sure Edwards is raising many a brow Tuesday with his NFL head-coach rankings in an Insider piece on ESPN.com [​IMG].

The center of his rankings is right here in the AFC West. Edwards calls San Diego coach Norv Turner an elite coach. It shocked the league that Turner was kept in San Diego after last season, a second straight playoff-less year in San Diego.

Still, Edwards points to Turner’s lengthy experience as an NFL head man, his win totals and his reputation as a brilliant offensive mind for his status as an elite coach. I’m sure Edwards will have many people questioning this call. But ask folks around the NFL about the great offensive minds and Turner is usually at the top of the list.

Edwards also puts Denver coach John Fox in the elite status. I agree. Fox is an underrated coach, who is air-tight in his preparation, loved by his players and in the upper-echelon of defensive thinkers in the league. He has quickly changed the culture in Denver.

Edwards put Kansas City first-year coach Romeo Crenel in the “jury is still out” category. That’s fair. Crennel is beginning his second head-coaching stint after a mostly disappointing time in Cleveland, but the early returns on Crennel in Kansas City have been promising.

Edwards really didn’t rank first-year Oakland coach Dennis Allen, instead putting him in with the other first-year coaches.

OK, I’m stepping out of the way now. I’m sure you all have plenty to type. Commence the chaos.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    In b4 flame fest....

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    [​IMG]

4. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Sorry, but that list is fairly laughable. If you look down the line, with the exception of 2 or 3 coaches, Edwards just has them listed in order of total number of wins. His only justification for Norv being 'elite' is that he has 100 wins.

Simply not good enough analysis from a guy I generally like.

5. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    As a head coach, I feel he lacks the general leadership qualities that a good HC needs, that fire and passion is just missing, to be honest, as nice a guy as he seems, he doesn't come across like a natural leader. There is no shame in that, he is a second in command type guy who is in slightly over his head as a head coach. His players seem to like him, but I doubt he really inspires them, and certainly doesn't instill a disciplined and focused mentality in them.

He is a great offensive co-ordinator, has a very creative offensive mind, and does great work with QBs. As an OC, he probably is an elite coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I believe Norv is probably a great coach in his own area's of expertise. Just not a good head coach.

And leave it too Herm Edwards, a tremendous failure as a HC himself, to try to blur the line between the two.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    There are more people in the professional game that believe that Turner is a great coach, they're in the minority when fans are added in as a factor.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Herm Edwards sure has a helluva lot of nerve thinking he's
    as qualified to assess NFL coaching as we are. Pretentious poser!
    I'll stick with "pizz-on-daDonks69" for NFL insight.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128

True. And agree or disagree with them, most of them have more insight to their opinion than: 'He won 100 games.' or 'He has more wins than Jim Harbaugh.' No problem with his opinion, just his reasoning.

12. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Laughed so much harder at this than anything in this thread

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    You're either with us, or you're against us.

[​IMG]

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Herm Edwards... mouthpiece.

Nothing of any relevance has ever come from his lips. Because his only income these days is his ability to talk then he must and he talks pure shite.

Norv might be a good QB coach and that's about it.

15. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    is there a better coach for the Chargers than Norv? I am afraid to say it but no. Norv is the perfect coach for this team. Norv has gotten the best out of PR and Gates, FLoyd, VJ. Norv has done a great job according to his strength. Who would we replace him with that can bring out PR AT MF at the level these guys are at? Cowher? he is defense. Cam Cameron? He's a big step down from NT. Norv is kinda growing on me.

16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    SAN DIEGO CHARGERS MEDIA GUIDE 2013:
    "Head Coach: Norv Turner. Often maligned, but he grows on you. Like a fungus. Norv puts the fun in 'FUNgus'!"

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Me Hate Norv.jpg
    Actually, a lot of the posts I've read in here make more sense if I just picture this guy typing them... :)

18. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    the only way I can put "ELITE" and Norv together in the same sentence is if I see Norv wearing a Red " ELITE" Security Jacket patrolling the stands during a game. But they will not sell me a ticket, so I guess I can never say Norv is an "ELITE"

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Turner is an elite coach, I didn't see anything stating he was an Elite Head Coach. In the NFL who's who, he is considered the best OC in the league any argument to the contrary is imbecilic at best.

20. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Let's just say.... and this is hypothetical.... Norv wins a Super Bowl. Does that change opinions or elevates him to an elite coach?

[​IMG]