1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv Turner is NFL's most underappreciated coach

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Updated Mar 26, 2010 1:13 PM ET ORLANDO

The general NFL perception is that the San Diego Chargers have the best overall talent (really not true) and that Norv Turner[​IMG] is merely average, a coach who was run off by two of the game’s most unrealistic owners, Dan Snyder and Al Davis.

The reality is that Turner simply has a better winning percentage (32-16, .667) than two legendary predecessors in Charger history, Sid Gillman and Don Coryell, while his team won 13 games last season using 62 different players and basically losing five starters in the opener.

“It took us about a month to recover from that,” Turner said of the injuries.

If you do an accounting of the postseason all-star teams, from the Associated Press to Sports Illustrated, six NFL teams had more players named than the Chargers. The Vikings and Colts dominated the awards.
    Still, the Chargers went on to win 11 consecutive games and the last time they lost in December was in 2006, or before Turner was coach. But all anybody remembers is that horrible playoff loss at home to the New York Jets, now the home of the franchise’s favorite player of the past decade, LaDainian Tomlinson.

Many blame Turner for that loss. If you remember, he called 18 running plays against the Jets. Basically, he counted on L.T. to give San Diego one final great game. And L.T. knew it was definitely his final home game, but even the emotion of that situation was not enough. On 12 carries, Tomlinson rushed for 24 yards, with a long of five yards. The biggest game of the season and the future Hall of Famer busted out. Yes, he looked like he was running in cement.

Then, on the game’s deciding running play, then-cornerback Antonio Cromartie feigned a tackle of Shonn Greene when the Jets’ rookie RB broke the line of scrimmage. That lack of effort got Cromartie, a former first-round pick, traded. And again, the Jets took this player, one who failed to produce in the big game. “I think he knows he should have made that play,” Turner said of his former cornerback. “One of the biggest problems on plays like that is that it’s repeated and repeated on TV, the Internet, everywhere.”

What’s interesting is that San Diego’s ownership and general manager A.J. Smith value Turner and his coaching staff a lot more than anyone else. Turner received a contract extension in January and really likes his coaching staff. Consider this: Charlie Whitehurst, the third-string quarterback in San Diego, was just traded to Seattle for the Seahawks’ second-round pick (40th overall). Don’t you think that Turner and John Ramsdell, his team’s quarterback coach, deserve some credit for picking Pete Carroll’s pocket?
    I remember talking to (Cardinals coach) Ken Whisenhunt[​IMG] about Whitehurst and he said he always watched him in our preseason games warming up and being impressed with his fundamentals and arm strength,” Turner said. “The Cardinals really wanted to make that trade and it went down to the wire to get Whitehurst.”

A possible outcome is that Turner and Ramsdell coached Whitehurst up so well that the Seattle draft pick could help produce the running back that San Diego definitely needs in next month’s draft.

And there’s recent precedent that San Diego can draft such a runner with that mid-second round pick. In past drafts, Baltimore selected Ray Rice with the 55th overall pick (2008), while Jacksonville took Maurice Jones-Drew with the 60th overall pick in 2006. Both made the Pro Bowl in January.

Clemson’s C.J Spiller will be long gone, but runners like Fresno State’s Ryan Matthews, Cal’s Jahvid Best[​IMG], Auburn’s Ben Tate, USC’s Joe McKnight and Stanford’s Toby Gerhart could be available when San Diego picks at No. 28 in the first round, or even later. Turner won’t tip his hand on his preference, but you have to believe he wants a runner who can also catch and pass protect while being the 20-carries a game workhorse the Chargers need to complement Darren Sproles.

There is no doubt that San Diego fans have been spoiled by the Chargers for both success and entertainment: winners of four straight AFC West titles, scoring 20 or more points in 22 consecutive games. They swept the mighty NFC East, this past season, finishing 7-1 on the road. This is proof of the physical and mental toughness of Turner's team.

And the best example that the Chargers were well-coached last season? They committed only 78 penalties, the fewest in franchise history since 1976, a 14-game season.

So the expectations will remain high for Turner and the Chargers in 2010.
    Yes, we had a special year and our guys expected it to happen for us,” Turner said. “But it didn’t; we didn’t get it done. We didn’t make any game-changing plays in that game. I still believe we have a very resilient team. We’ve been pounding on that (Super Bowl) door. When we come back, we have to knock it over.”

Turner truly believes that his team will come back stronger next season and determined to reach the ultimate goal. Key stars like QB Philip Rivers and LB Shawne Merriman have no serious injuries to rehab, allowing them to focus instead on complete fitness.

“When you’re dealing with a serious knee injury or something of that nature, a player tends to ignore other areas,” Turner said. “Shawne had a bunch of nagging injuries last season, but I expect him to be closer to his former self next year.”

There is a need for major replacement parts for nose tackle Jamaal Williams, a dominant player only two seasons ago, and Cromartie, a very good cover cornerback. The Broncos jumped on Williams during free agency, but he wasn’t worth $6 million a year to the Chargers, based on his injury history. The club also believes that Antoine Cason, who played poorly as a nickel back, will be more comfortable at Cromartie’s cornerback position.

The Chargers are in a good place. Now it’s all up to Smith to draft the right running back. Turner loves to run the ball – 13 times in his 18 seasons as a head coach or offensive coordinator his unit had a rusher finish in the top 10 – but last season wasn’t one of them.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-czar-on-norv-turner-032410

2. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeh idk. I think he isn't appreciated sometimes because of stuff like this...

and this

3. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Lets hope he runs the ball more once he gets his RB. Having a good RB and actually calling running plays are 2 totally different things

4. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Lets hope he runs the ball WELL Calling dive plays every first down can only get you so far even if u have chris johnson(obviously bc he's a better outside runner) Adrian Peterson or Jerome Bettis in his prime:icon_shrug:

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Having seen this game, I was surprised that Rivers didn't either call a time out or audible to a screen. Lewis showed every sign of coming hard.

6. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Turner is ONLY an average coach and AJ Smith likes him because he can control him. Control is the name of the game and AJ Smith has it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    AJ controls the play calling? :icon_rofl:

8. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Lol people are still using this one?

9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Until Norv wins a superbowl nothing will ever be good enough for some :icon_shrug:

even then I bet there will be a contingent who will say they won it despite having Norv as HC and AJ as GM :lol:

10. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276

======================

I'm waiting for Norv to take this high powered team to a Super Bowl. This team has been set up to dominate for the past four seasons (Yeah, I included Marty's last year, too) but so far we've not even sniffed the inside of a Super Bowl game- let alone win the damn thing. He'll be #1 in my book if he can accomplish this... otherwise he's wasting my time!

11. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    case and point :icon_tease:

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I believe we'll find out just how good Norv is or isn't this coming season. There has been plenty of change on the Bolt's already with still more to come. I'm starting to wonder how much influence Norv has on AJ, in dumping players.

I'm thinking Norv grew tired of the whining and let AJ know. Today those individuals are gone and the message may ring loud and clear to those who get it. It's a TEAM fellows, play together and you win, free lance and pull bonehead **** and lose.

Time to move on, get some new blood and see who shows up on Sunday. I'm more concerned with Ron's "D", the attacking one I have yet to see.

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Wait? Are you saying Norv is influencing AJ?

I thought AJ hired him because Norv is just a puppet that does anything AJ wants him to do? :lol:

14. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Why yes, yes I am.:tup:

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    How can anyone say he is under appreciated? He is accurately viewed as the average at best HC that he is

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Except he's not.

He's constantly referred to as one of the worst head coaches the game has ever seen, thanks mainly to his tenures in Washington and Oakland.

If nothing else I think an argument can be made that he's at least not that bad.

17. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    ^^^^ THIS :yes:

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I think just as many fans think he sucks as those who think he is god. Both are wrong because he is no better than an OK HC, and didn't deserve a 3 year extension. He he deserved to be extended, but one year max

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I haven't seen any tailgaters sacrificing chickens to Norval's graven image, let alone the fatted calf. His record with us says he is an above average coach, not a god and not a goat. He actually did better with what Snyder had given him than others with the Skins and nobody has been winning in Oakland for ages. He's gotten us to the playoffs twice after we were left for dead in the wake of injuries that would cripple other teams. Coryell never won a Lombardi either, but no one is saying about him what people say about Turner. His winning percentage is actually better. Personally, I think he will get us there.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, he took over a 14-2 team. Taking over one of the top 5 teams in football, and taking them to the playoffs is really not that impressive, especially when one of those times was at 8-8 and the other time had no one else in the division even finish .500. Like it or not, part of his success has to do with the horrible division.

I personally hope he gets us there, but don't think he will

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I seriously believe, that you are the only person on this earth that could break an anvil working in a pillow factory. :icon_eek:

22. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Oh god... not this argument again :icon_eek:

He also led the 2009 squad to 13-3 after both Oline and Dline were crippled by injuries - they played 63 different players in 2009, swept the AFC East (who had 2 playoff teams) all with an anemic running game.

He's not proven himself to be the greatest HC ever or anything but geez... he's gotten a lot more accomplished in the post-season than the previous coach who actually HAD a 14-2 team.

People talk about going to the Super Bowl like it's easy... and they talk about this team like it should be 19-0 year in and year out. Why hold it against the team/coaches when they don't live up to the manufactured "hype" about who/what they'e supposed to be instead of what they actually are.

• Like Like x 1
  23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Dude, nobody outside of Chargers fans thinks he's a "god", and even the Chargers fans who think that highly of him are far and few in between.

Most Chargers fans that even think highly of him simply think he is very good, but hardly think he's one of the greatest in the game and are always sure to acknowledge his faults.

Just go to any football message board and bring up Norv Turner's name and see what kind of reaction you get.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    What differentiates that 14-2 one and done team from the 13-3 one and done team of 2009?

And Norv didn't even have LT in the best year of his career when he produced a virtually equal season to Marty's last season here.

And I'm not trying to prop up Norv here. I'm actually trying to prop down that 14-2 team.

People like to talk about that 14-2 team like it was one of the greatest teams in the history of the NFL. Well, guess what? That 8-8 team you scoffed at accomplished more than that 14-2 team did.

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Which is why I don't say he is a bad coach. He just isn't a great either as that same 13-3 team completely collapsed in the playoffs

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I wasn't a fan of Marty either, so you are using the wrong argument.

People like to say Norv is great because of his record, I am just pointing out that he took over one of the best teams in football, so it would be expected that he should be able to at least keep them descent. Having a winning record when taking over a great team, is not all that impressive

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    I was a fan of Marty and was pissed when he was fired.

I'm just calling a spade a spade. That team wasn't as great as people want to make it out to be just so they can blow off what success Norv has had with the team by saying he took over a 14-2 team.

Nobody's calling Norv a hall of famer. Some just like to give credit (however much is deserved) where it is due and Norv deserves some credit.

Compare Norv's first three years with the Chargers to Marty's last three. They're almost identical, only Norv has a bit more success in the playoffs and didn't have LT in his prime.

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That is fine. I agree Norv does deserve a little credit. Mush more than some give him, and much less than what others give him.