1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv Turner on rookie RBs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Mar 23, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/20569/turner-talks-about-rookie-rbs

San Diego coach Norv Turner spoke at the NFL owners meeting Tuesday.

Much of his session centered on the Chargers’ draft needs at running back. San Diego is sure to use a high pick on a running back and Turner seems pleased with the available group. Here is some of what Turner covered:

His impression of Clemson running back C.J. Spiller and the other top backs:

“I’ve had limited exposure, but you see him enough to know that Spiller is just dynamite. He does it all, the return game, the explosiveness, the perimeter running. He’s an exciting player. He’s probably a little bit like [Jahvid] Best at Cal, similar style. Like Joe McKnight at SC. Those three guys are as explosive as you can be around. They’re big plays just waiting to happen with those guys.”

On Stanford’s Toby Gerhart:

“Gerhart is a lot more explosive player than people realize because he’s very physical. I just named seven guys that are pretty good players.”

On whether he would want to draft a physical, big back because the team has change-of-pace back Darren Sproles:

“I think people look at it and say, 'Hey, with Sproles they can offset that.' But we just want the best back. We’re going to adjust to what he does. It’s a physical game. The guys I named who are those elusive type guys, they’re still -- coaching Chris Johnson in the Pro Bowl, he’s so fast that you don’t realize how physical a player he can be.”

On if Gerhart and Jacob Hester are similar players:

“I think Gerhart is more of a pure runner. Jacob has been, even with us, he’s kind of been that role guy that ran some, caught some, blocked some, done a lot of things. Jacob’s just been an outstanding player for us. We’ve put him at fullback with Tolbert, and then he’s been just a great special teams player. He and Tolbert, they’re two of our leading tacklers on all our special teams, and they’re good. Jacob blocked a punt for a touchdown, stripped a ball from the punt returner and ran it in for a touchdown. He makes big plays. He’s just a [solid] player.”

On what he expects from linebacker Shawne Merriman:

“Everyone talks about it takes another year to come back from a surgery. The biggest thing -- and I had this conversation about two weeks ago with Philip Rivers -- he says that it’s not so much that the knee takes a year. But while you’re rehabbing your knee, it doesn’t allow you to do all the other things that you need to do to get ready for the season.

"So Shawne went through the year and missed time with the groin, missed time with the foot. The knee wasn’t the issue. So I think having a great offseason so he doesn’t have those nagging injuries, and then the knee being a year better… Shawne had a really good year last year. He just didn’t have those game-changing-type plays that we’ve all seen him have. But I think those will come. He’s such a competitor, such a physical player, that when he gets that step back he’ll return as an outstanding pass-rusher."

On if Merriman lost explosion:

“I think you could see that coming back all the way through the year. The problem was when he had the foot injury, he had the plantar fascia and the problem with the foot, it was a six-week injury and he wasn’t able to practice a lot. You could see him where he was favoring it a little bit. I think those things were more of a factor than him losing the explosion.”

On what his team can learn from the playoff loss to the Jets:

“I think that game has to be a great learning situation for our guys when we get back into that situation. There are a lot of different things you look at and try to analyze: Were we trying too hard? Were we too revved up? All the different things once it started going the other way, guys were trying to do things they hadn’t done throughout the season. The thing we’ve got to try to build from is we won 11 straight games, and we won them every possible way you could -- a goal-line stand, downing a punt inside the 5, getting a big kick return to set our offensive up for a short drive, driving the ball four times in the last two minutes for touchdowns, those things that our guys have to take a lot of pride from. All of us, when we get back in that situation, we’ve just got to handle it better.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    From his quote "We just want the best back", do you think he'll package pick 28 and 40 (and possibly a third from next year) to move up and get Spiller?

That quote also means its a 99% chance we draft a RB in round 1

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    No. It would take us out of the running for one of the NT's.

Forgive me for disecting a mind numbing Norv Turner talk but...Notice he also said Spiller is a lot like Jahvid Best, and used Chris Johnson as an example. It tells me Best could be a possibility, because I think he's more like CJ2K than Spiller is.

• Like Like x 1
  4. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Maybe if both Cody and Mathews are gone, we get Best. Or maybe we get Cody at 28 and Best at 40? I wouldn't mind that at all

5. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    Definately Norv likes Best more than Spiller...thats what I took out of that conversation.

Norv seemed quite nochalent about all the running backs mention really...maybe that is a cunning ploy...maybe he just likes Best. I hope we don't draft Best with our pick at #28!!! Thats way too high for a guy who has had multiple concussions!

6. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    I like this scenario WAAAAY better than taking Best in the first round!

Its still a risk taking him in the second with his concussion history. If he falls because of it...take a risk on him in the 3rd. I'm AJ could engineer a trade up in the 3 rd round to grab him

7. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    It means we will take the best overall back available in whatever round we decide to take a running back.

8. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Or maybe he meant, we will take the "Best" running back available. "Best" meaning Jahvid Best :lol:

9. keoni boi

keoni boi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Lol. there are so many good RB's. I think I would dig best on our team, I like his running. Solid. I firmly think we will get a NT @28 and a RB @ 40.

10. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Yea Best is a very interesting player. After all he was the #1 RB until he got his concussion

I'd be happy either way [RB at 28 then NT at 40] or [NT at 28 then RB at 40]. Just as long as we address those needs in the first 2 rounds I will be a happy camper :tup:

11. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I wonder why he didn't mention Matthews...

Maybe it was a ploy to trick the other teams into thinking we don't know about Matthews...

Then again, maybe he just thinks Matthews sucks so he's not worth mentioning.:blink:

12. keoni boi

keoni boi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Ya I kinda wondered that too. I like matthews... But maybe thier eyes are going in a different direction at RB. The class is big so, who knows.

13. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    It would be to play the trick on other teams, not because Mathews sucks.

14. keoni boi

keoni boi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Eveyone is real quiet until that last few days before the draft. Kinda laying low until they strike. lol

15. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Does anyone happen to know AJ Smiths cell phone number? :lol: That's one way we could get answers

16. keoni boi

keoni boi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Ok, here is a scenario.... It's a total reach and just me wishin again...

What if.... We traded Sproles away for a late 1st rounder or early 2nd pick? That could set us up for an even sweeter draft. Now with the hole left open by dealing out sproles... What if we got this guy....

RS Trindon Holliday
    LSU senior

Notes: Won seven Louisiana state track championships as a prep, dominating the 200 meters four times and the 100 meters three times. As a running back, piled up more than 4,000 yards and 60 touchdowns over two seasons. Was very lightly recruited before committing to the Tigers. Greyshirted in 2005. Sprained an ankle in the ’06 spring game but played 12 games in the fall, returning five kickoffs for 162 yards (32.4-yard average) and one TD. Also rushed 14 times for 172 yards (12.3-yard average) and one TD. Did not play against Auburn. Played in 13 games in ’07, returning kickoffs 19-498-1 (26.0) and rushing 53-364-2 (6.9). Also caught two passes for three yards (1.5) and zero TDs. Sprained his ankle against Mississippi and sat out against Arkansas. Played in all 13 games in ’08, returning kickoffs 27-609-0 (22.6), rushing 21-114-0 (5.4) and catching 2-33-0 (16.5). Also handled punt-return duties, returning 21 for 279 yards (13.3) and one TD. Was the Southeastern Conference’s top punt returner in ’09, amassing 22-537-0 (24.4) on kickoff returns, 20-362-1 (18.1) on punt returns, 27-126-1 (4.7) rushing and 3-36-0 (12.0) receiving in 13 games. Was an eight-time track All-American and the reigning NCAA champion in the outdoor 100-meter dash with a time of 10.00 seconds (thought to be the fastest time ever run by a football player). Finished 11th at the ’08 U.S. Olympic Team Trials. Named MVP of the Texas vs. the Nation all-star game. Will be a 24-year-old rookie.

Positives: Clocked fastest 40-yard time of anyone at Combine and has world-class speed. Catches cleanly and accelerates in a blink. Has a low center of gravity and natural twitch to make quick cuts — can embarrass tacklers in space. Hides behind blockers and squirts out. Outruns angles and pulls away from the pack like he’s shot out of a cannon. Has proven himself against top competition. Smart, tough and durable.

Negatives: Very small and slight-framed. Marginal run strength and tackle-breaking ability. Lacks lower-body power. Is a bit straight-linish and does not string moves together.

Summary: Dangerous, diminutive punt and kickoff returner who only needs a sliver of daylight to take it the distance. Also shows versatility to contribute as a change-of-pace back or work out of the slot.

NFL projection: Fifth- to sixth-round pick.

Sound familiar? Get him in the later rounds and he could be groomed into a star.....

again, Im reaching... lol.

17. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    If Sproles leaves, he might do the trick. But what about Noel Devine next year? He is an absolute clone of Sproles

18. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    If what Norv is saying is the absolute truth, "We want the most talented back" Wouldn't that be Best?

I mean, I know there a major injury concerns, especially with the concussions, but man alive, that guy is fun to watch.

19. keoni boi

keoni boi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Isn't Noel Devine a Junior? That guy would do well too. decent speed

20. keoni boi

keoni boi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    True that dude is a play maker. Matthews had an injury issue as well, I guess it comes down to who will be available...

21. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Yea he's definitely fun to watch.. then again, so is Sproles when he gets in the open field.

22. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    I like the Best idea, but why isn't anyone talking about his lack of size at almost 6 ft but less than 200 pounds? He's not the elite fast of Chris Johnson that would allow him to be that small.

I truly like Trindon Holliday, been watching him for a while now. He can't truly replace Sproles though. He might be faster, but he's not the football player that Sproles is. There will be a large learning curve for him, anyone that drafts him might not see him on the field for a while, not even in return game, especially not as a running back.

23. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    i want as many replys as i can get i want feedback so let me know what u think of this mock draft

I GOT A NEW MOCK DRAFT BUT IT INVOLVES A TRADE LET ME KNOW WHAT U THINK

ROUND 1, PICK 1 SAND DIEGO SELECTS, Ndamukong Suh, COLLEGE NEBRASKA, DT, SAN DIEGO HAS TRADED WITH THE ST.LOUIS RAMS FOR THE OVERALL NUMBER ONE PICK, BY GIVING THEM THE 28TH PICK, AND THE 92ND PICK IN THE 2010 DRAFT"

ROUND 1 PICK 11 SAN DIEGO SELECTS DAN WILLIAMS,NT, TENNESSEE "SAN DIEGO HAS TRADED DARREN SPROLES TO THE MIAMI DOLPHINS FOR THE 11TH PICK IN THE 2010 DRAFT , AND THE 74TH PICK IN THE 2010 DRAFT"

ROUND 2,PICK 40 SAN DIEGO, SELECTS,DARYL WASHINGTON ILB,TCU

ROUND 3,PICK 74 SAN DIEGO SELECTS,MAJOR WRIGHT,FS FLORIDA

ROUND 4,PICK 127 SAN DIEGO SELECTS,BEN TATE,RB,AUBURN

ROUND 5, PICK 200 SAN DIEGO SELECTS,MYRON LEWIS,CB,VANDERBILT

ROUND 5,PICK 211 SAN DIEGO SELECTS,JOIQUE BELL,RB,WAYNE ST

ROUND 6,PICK 239 SEN DIEGO SELECTS,Emmanuel Sanders,WR,SOUTHERN METHODIST

I KNOW ITS A OUT THERE DRAFT BUT DONT DOUBT AJ POWER,IF HE MANAGE THIS THIS WILL BE BETTER THAN THE DRAFT WHEN WE GOT MERRIMAN ,CASTILLO AND KAEDING,
    LETS HOPE AND PRAY THIS CAN HAPPEN,CHARGER FANS JUST THINK ABOUT THE NIGHTMARE FOR OTHER TEAM OFFENSES WHEN OUR DEFENSE HAS Ndamukong Suh, DAN WILLIAMS, CASTILLO,MERRIMAN,PHILLIPS,DARYL WASHINGTON"COOPER IS NOW 2ND STRING CUZ HE SUCKS IN MY EYES"JAMMER CASON, WEDDLE,ELLISON, OUR D WOULD BE NASTY,

24. keoni boi

keoni boi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah, like is said. it was a reach. lol. But if it opened the door too another early round pick, would you do it?

25. keoni boi

keoni boi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I thought I was reaching, LOL. But then again, who knows?

26. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    trust me i know it's a reach, but tell me that aj hasnt pulled off crazy trades before,i mean i know it probally wont happen, but i think theres a chance it could,everyone knows aj is a great negotiator it could happen

27. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    :lmfao: I'm not even going to get started...

28. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    I think this guy is on the border of trolling, already passed spamming by hitting threads that have nothing to do with mock drafts.

29. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    haha nah im just bored and looking for feedback on the draft cuz most of the draft threads dont get much use

30. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    seriously, it would take a lot more than the 28th pick and the 92nd pick to get the 1st overall pick. Also, no way the Dolphins would give us a first, let a lone a first AND third, for Sproles.
    Also Ben Tate won't drop that far.

There is your feed back. Soak it up and keep mock draft talk to the mock draft threads please