1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv Turner outlines playing time plan

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 4 hours ago
    8-12-2010

More than a week of training camp remains, but San Diego paused long enough Thursday to ready for game situations. Head Coach Norv Turner expects some starters to play into the second quarter in saturday's preseason opener.

SAN DIEGO – Head Coach Norv Turner on Thursday outlined the playing time plan for Saturday's preseason opener.
    The majority of the starters will play into the second quarter of Saturday's preseason opener, Turner said.
    Select veterans such as Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates are expected to stay in the game approximately 10 plays.
    The second offensive and defensive units are expected to play into the fourth quarter to get additional evaluation time. The young players will handle most of the plays during the fourth quarter according to Turner.

SHIFT IN FOCUS: The Chargers took a break from the slog of camp Thursday to prepare for their preseason opener against the Bears.
    The evening practice schedule appeared like a normal day. The team worked through an inside run period, a blitz period and spent several dozen plays on 7-on-7s and 11-on-11s.
    The focal point did budge a little from the intense internal concentration.
    “This is a normal procedure. You get to the game and you want to give them some details about the team you’re getting ready to play, particularly your young players,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “They’re a different offensive football team, so we have to prepare for the things they do. They run a totally different defense than we do. We’re just trying to familiarize our guys with what they’re getting ready to play against.”
    He has not announced final determinations on the status of players with minor injuries.
    “It’s the first preseason game. I want everyone to get a feel for it, but we have a long ways to go before we play in the regular season,” Turner said.

LAST ONE: Thursday evening’s full-pads session was the last practice open to the public. It also was the last practice before the Chargers take on the Bears. San Diego had a walkthrough Thursday morning and will do the same Friday.

RIVERS 5K: Quarterback Philip Rivers will host his first annual Celebrity 5K Walk & Fun Run on Sept. 4.
    The event will take place in Point Loma at NTC Park in Liberty Station and will raise money for the Rivers of Hope Foundation.
    The 5K run will begin at 8:15 a.m. and the walk at 8:30 a.m. There will be an awards ceremony following each event.
    The events include a complimentary food court, fun zone for kids and live music. All registered walkers will receive a free haircut and the first 1,000 paying adults will get a free pair of silver and pearl earrings valued at $75 and a signed football card of Philip Rivers.
    Registration is available at www.PhilipRivers5K.com.

NO BUS: MTS will not run a Chargers Express bus service to preseason games. The regular season bus schedule has not been determined. Check the MTS website, www.sdmts.com, as the season approaches for more information.

BOLTS: The first offense and first defense did not work against each other Thursday … Antoine Cason and Eric Weddle[​IMG] each had two interceptions during practice, one during 7-on-7s and another during the final team period … Malcom Floyd[​IMG] opened the blitz period with a comfortable catch down the right sideline. He waltzed 70 yards to the end zone with ease.

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    More than preparation

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 4 hours ago
    8-12-2010

For some vets, preseason simply is a chance to get ready for the season. But for others, Saturday’s game is an opportunity that could influence the direction of their career.

SAN DIEGO – The most common phrase attached to the preseason is that it doesn’t count.
    Try telling that to the rookies vying for a roster spot, veterans trying to sustain a career or players returning from injuries.
    Even players like former Buffalo Bills receiver Josh Reed, entering his ninth NFL season, have a new home locker room to explore and a new fan base to entertain.
    “This is more than just a preseason game to me,” said receiver Jeremy Williams[​IMG], who is trying to make the team as an undrafted free agent out of Tulane. “It’s like my first game ever. It’s crazy. The feeling of being out there, just knowing it’s an NFL game, it’s going to be amazing. I already know it will.”
    So much for ho hum.
    Linebacker and special teams player James Holt[​IMG] fits two of the categories. Last year at this team he used the preseason to go from undrafted free agent to practice squad member. He eventually played in nine games and made nine special teams tackles before a shoulder injury Week 17 forced him into offseason rehab.
    Saturday’s 6 p.m. kickoff against the Bears will offer him a first chance to test the shoulder, which has felt much better in recent weeks.
    “It’s definitely good because you finally get to unleash,” Holt said of the game. “We haven’t really been hitting out there. You get to fly around a lot harder and get to actually hit somebody.”
    Ryon Bingham[​IMG] is used to hitting, having spent 49 NFL games along the defensive line. But a triceps injury forced him to miss the entire 2009 season.
    He combined for 95 tackles and three sacks in ’07 and ’08.
    “It’s the game of football,” Bingham said. “I’ve been playing it since I was 11 years old. I know I got hurt last year, but it’s the same thing as practice. It’s just a little higher tempo.”
    That doesn’t mean he’s unhappy about the venue and the format.
    “The energy (at Qualcomm Stadium) is obviously a part of what makes it fun,” Bingham said. “Practice is for the birds. You’ve got to do it because it’s part of the game.”
    Reed still feels nervous energy before games despite being comfortable on the field. While he knew his role in Buffalo, where he caught 311 passes for 3,575 yards, he’s taking a wait-and-see approach with the Chargers.
    “I don’t know how much they’re going to play me. I just know I’ve got to be ready if I have to play a lot or a little,” Reed said. “Whatever he throws to me I’ve got to be ready.”
    Williams, one of several young receivers vying for a roster spot, already was preparing for an onslaught of nerves and envisioning his energy level.
    “Compared to practice, I’ll be a lot more intense. I’m looking to pick it up this weekend. It’s tackle now,” Williams said. “We haven’t done anything like that in a scrimmage situation. It’s going to be a lot different.
    “I always had those first butterflies every game, even when I was a senior in college. The first play is always the one that gets you going, and after that it’s just football. Going out there and making a block, whatever it is, that first play is just, ‘Ahh, now we can get it going.’ That’s how it’ll be, I’m sure.”