1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NORV TURNER SLAPS PHILIP RIVERS' PRIVATES

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/01/15/sports/professional/chargers/24_18_571_14_08.txt

Talking trash still a hot topic

By: SCOTT BAIR - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO -- Philip Rivers' ailing knee was a major point of discussion in a Chargers press conference on Monday.

The strained right medial collateral ligament that jeopardizes Rivers' prospects of playing in Sunday's AFC Championship Game at New England, however, was at times overshadowed by the quarterback's penchant for trash talking.

Rivers was seen talking back to fans on several occasions during a 28-24 AFC divisional round win over the Indianapolis Colts, but that's nothing new. Rivers, who did not attend Monday's press conference because of an MRI being taken on his knee, has been caught talking to opposing players on several occasions, a trend that came to a head in the regular-season finale against the Denver Broncos.

It's continued since then, forcing others to continually address Rivers' actions and the notion that the Chargers are generally a bunch of trash talkers.

"I think we're perceived as a trash-talking team, and I hate that," Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson said. "That's never been my style, to really trash talk. The only thing you can do about that to change is to just play the game and quit talking about different things. Eventually it will go away, but you have to win also.

"The problem is that if you trash talk and you lose, people say that, 'This team, all they can do is talk and they can't back it up.' I've heard that this year already."

Rivers has ignored criticism and continues to speak his mind, something few expect him to change.

"We're going to let Philip be Philip," Tomlinson said. "No one has talked to him about it, because that's the way he's always been. He's his own man, and at this point I don't think you can try to sit him down like a high school player and say, 'You shouldn't be talking like that.'"

Chargers coach Norv Turner did take certain exception to Rivers' actions in Indianapolis, where he was seen talking directly to a group of fans after the game.

"(Rivers) doesn't need to be turning around talking to some guy that has had 12 beers in the stands. He doesn't need to do that," Turner said. "But I watch the other team, too, and they make plays and they're back to back and they're jumping up and they're celebrating.

"I always say, if you're doing it as a celebration, that's great. If you're doing it in any form of being disrespectful to an opponent, then I don't think it's appropriate."
    :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

Upon further review

While Turner is no longer fuming over the controversial holding penalty called on defensive back Eric Weddle during Antonio Cromartie's second-quarter interception return that negated a touchdown against the Colts, he still was disappointed that such a dramatic effort was forever erased..................

CLICK ON THE LINK FOR MORE

2. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I don't care if Phil is talking **** on the field. I don't even care if he's calling Jay Cutler a little ***** from the sidelines. He doesn't need to be getting into it with fans, though.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I hanestly thought Norv was gonna bludgeon Gerry Austin to death with his headset. Norv was fukkin' pissed and UNLEASHING THE FOOKIN FURY!!!!

4. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Also,

FWIW, when Philip was walking off the field to go to the locker room to get his knee looked at he was saying "I appreciate it. I'll be back. Thank alot." ect. Lord knows what the fans were saying to him but I'm sure it wasn't "We all hope you're fine Philip".

5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    "...SLAPS PHILIP RIVERS' PRIVATES..." :icon_huh:

is that your own "penis envy" growing....:icon_rofl:

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I ESPECIALLY LIKED WHEN DEAR-DORK said for the lip reader to not watch.

It appeared Norv said "fuc then Jesus Christ" :lol: I love it. The dude had a full on China Syndrome meltdown.

I guess Rivers wil not be yaking at the crowd anymore if he respects his coach.

edit....effing new keyboards suck whang.

7. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    That was great to see... The Chargers got jobbed, so the fury needed to be unleashed. I didn't think Norval had it in him.

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    When the head coach tells you to basically "knock it the fuc off" that is a slap to his huevos - a sack tap....An ouchie....a kick to the nuts to get his attention..... a slap to the privates........

9. Preechr

Preechr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Why not? Any fan who Rivers talked to, will probably remember that exchange for life. They’ll tell the story over, and over to their friends. Why is that kind of involvement so horrible as compared to just having the fans watch a cardboard cutout, zero personality quarterback like Tom Brady, walk by pretending the fans don’t even exist?

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Let Rivers be Rivers!!! :bolt:

11. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I thought the article was going to be about an "unabated reach-around to the QB".... :icon_rofl:

12. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    It's just feeding the trolls. The players on the field are supposed to be the bigger person... literally and figuratively.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Norv clearly said "JESUS F***KIN CHRIST GERRY!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!?!?!"

:lol:

14. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    :yes: yup, you can read his lips like a book.... LEAVE NO DOUBT...

you da man Norv... :lol:

15. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    I wish Philip would STFU! Be firey on the field, STFU on the sidelines, this is bad, I cannot excuse him, when other teams fans say he is classless... he is proving that to be true... It is one thing to celebrate good plays on the sidelines, and cheer your team on, but to start chit with the fans, reminds me of another QB from a generation ago... I'll leave it at that... PHILIP STFU, and play ball!

16. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Exactly! I can't speak for after the game but definitely when he was heading in with the trainers he was saying nothing bad. That's why the Announcers pissed me off. They assumed he was trash talking and they were the ones bad mouthing Rivers when he was doing nothing wrong.

Scumbags!!!!

17. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Yeah, I like Norv about 10x more than I did prior to this game, and I wasn't a hater at all.

I love lip reading pissed off coaches... like Marty's "Don't let them in the fuccing end zone!"

Norv rocks.

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Agree with ntman68 on this one. I'm as big a PR fan as there is and I don't care for it. Just frickin IGNORE those alcohol juiced idiots PR! Don't look at them or pay them any mind at all. You don't see Peyton or Brady talking to any fans or players. I know PR has done this since his Pop Warner days, but this is the freakin NFL. Not for Long man. PR just has to shut his trap and play. Win and lose with class, no matter what. LT said it best. Talk all you want on talk shows, TV, etc. Just shut the trap on the field!!!

19. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128

I can't disagree. I'm not too worried about the smack talk on the sideline with opponents. It's not like it happens every game or anything. I even thought the 'replies' with the fans as he went into the locker room were not a big deal. All you could hear him say was 'Thank you, I appreciate it.' Not that smart, but no big deal as I'm sure the stuff the fans were says was very brutal.

But the stuff at the end of the game, to turn around and yell at a fan? Come on man, don't bring that kind of attention to your team. Be the bigger man.

20. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    And bravo to Norv Turner for addressing this. Rivers comes across like an *** when he engages with the fans. If nothing else, it is hypocritical for him to tell Ellis Hobbs to "act like you've won a game before", the way Philip behaved right after our great victory. He needs to walk the walk.

PS. I think that LT hates the trash-talking too. I know he said to "Let Philip be Philip", but this **** needs to stop.

21. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    If talking to the fans gets Philip fired up, I have no problem with it .. as long he performs.

22. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    27-8 as a starter (including playoffs).

23. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Like LT said, "Lets let Philip be Philip" :bolt:

24. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I can appreciate that, and it is why I'm OK with some playful banter with your opponent. But why mix it up with the fans? He isn't going as far a a Milton Bradley type, but still why even move in that direction?

Also, if you aren't perfect, your just opening yourself for a world of pain during those ~10 losses out of 40 games.

I don't think he has to make a major change, just cut out the yelling at the fans.

25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I for one would like to be a fly on his chin strap so I could know just exactly what he said. Unless I know what was exchanged, judgments about it would seem to be a little arbitrary. I can just imagine what the fans were yelling after the mid point of the third quarter of swilling in addition to what was drank up before the game. Rivers is an intense competitor. I'll bet he's the same way over the pool table at a neighborhood watering hole.

26. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117

That's right. Let Philip be Philip. Obviously his confidence is high right now, let him talk all he wants if that motivates him, and increases his confidence more. I like his fire:tup:

There's no rule a QB has to be all quiet, and passive, that's boring. Philip is hot right now, and let's hope it carries over to the Championship game, and on to the SB:tup:

27. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    I don't have a problem with him talking smack on the field, but what happens if he says something to really-drunk-stupid-fan and that dude launches himself out of the stands and into PR?

There are some real nut jobs out there, don't need to be taking chances. Last thing we need is PR to get jumped on and then tumble into **** on the sidelines getting himself all fuked up.

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    worst....title......ever

29. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    But let's really look at what Rivers has done with the fans:

--Against the Raiders, the classless Turd fans cheered because Rivers appeared to be injured. Rivers got up, ran to the sideline encouraging them to cheer louder like the classless punks they are. Big deal? Hardly. When Brett Favre does it, he's a "fiery competitor."

--Against the Colts, Rivers was headed to the locker room with an injury. The Colts fans were giving him rations of ****. He clapped his hands and said, "I'll be back." Is that now considered vicious smack talk?

--At the end of the game, Rivers walked over and yelled at one of the fans in the stands. At that exact moment, about six other Chargers all turned around to yell at him, waving goodbye and blowing kisses. Obviously, the guy had said some pretty harsh **** to get such a severe reaction from so many players simultaneously.

People should not buy into this storyline. This is just a way for the mediots to talk about something other than how monumentally wrong they were about the Chargers/Colts game.

30. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I can dig it. I'm not as worried about it as the media is making it out to be, but I just think it is happening to frequently. He's also yelled at Donkey fans last year. I just think he would be well served to tune it down a bit.

Side note, I thought the cartoon on this page was pretty funny:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/index