1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

NORV TURNER THINKS SHAWNE MERRIMAN IS POISED FOR A BIG YEAR

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

NORV TURNER THINKS SHAWNE MERRIMAN IS POISED FOR A BIG YEAR

ESPN
    3-25-2010

It's interesting how 2010 season outlooks aren't so rosy when you talk about the Chargers defense at this point in time, especially considering the loses of Pro Bowlers Antonio Cromartie and Jamal Williams. It seems that it was so long ago that we have forgotten just how dominant a healthy Shawne Merriman can be. But not everyone is overlooking big #56. Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner is expecting big things from his outside linebacker and he explains why:

“Everyone talks about it takes another year to come back from a surgery. The biggest thing -- and I had this conversation about two weeks ago with Philip Rivers -- he says that it’s not so much that the knee takes a year. But while you’re rehabbing your knee, it doesn’t allow you to do all the other things that you need to do to get ready for the season.

"So Shawne went through the year and missed time with the groin, missed time with the foot. The knee wasn’t the issue. So I think having a great offseason so he doesn’t have those nagging injuries, and then the knee being a year better… Shawne had a really good year last year. He just didn’t have those game-changing-type plays that we’ve all seen him have. But I think those will come. He’s such a competitor, such a physical player, that when he gets that step back he’ll return as an outstanding pass-rusher."

2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Not much would make me happier. This whole situation could have been avoided it he hadn't been so tardy getting the surgery one and all had to know was going to happen eventually.

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Norv can think that all he wants. Rivera can make Merriman a cornerstone of his entire defense. I'll believe it when I see it. He got lots of pressure but that isn't the same Shawne Merriman as 2006 or even 2007 as far as I can tell. Oh God I hope they all prove me wrong.

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I got a feeling Merriman is going to have a big year and we need it from him. Dude is a flat out BEAST when he is at the top of his game. One year out of surgery and he should be ready to go. Not to mention he'll be playing for a huge payday. I think it's gonna be "Lights Out" once again! :yes:

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Lights Out - Needle In :icon_banana:

6. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Sounds like the same old hype that coaches give their players in the off season.

We'll see.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    whatever.

and btw - Why do players who made the pro bowl even one time get to be called "Pro Bowlers" so & so

:icon_huh:

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Works for me. This may be his last here anyway, so a roided up Shawne will at least be entertaining. :icon_twisted:

9. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    With English now having a year under his belt and the two Seans (picked a neutral spelling) healthy OLB will be the strength of this team on D. If we can just get some guys to clog up the middle and stop the run again our D could be pretty solid.

10. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    [​IMG]

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Pffftttttt .... English is still an unproven commodity at best. I never knock rookies, but the jury is out.

Shawne is rehabbing from a devastating injury. I bought into the "he's ready" hype like many fans, but the confirmed truth is his recovery is at least a 2 yr. process. He will hopefully be healthy & play like a bat outta hell this year because it's HIGHLY unlikely that we see him beyond the 2010 season. The reasons for that deserve their own thread.

TOG, aka Shaun Phillips, is fast wearing out his welcome here. A less tolerant organization would have found a way to deal him out before now. Truth be told, English is AT LEAST as much insurance for replacing Phillips as Merriman.

We'll draft another good OLB this draft if AJ has a firing neuron in his head. I'd say with our 3rd.

Defense wins championships. Otherwise, LT would be flashing the bling. haha