1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv Turner wins USA TODAY's top coach after Chargers' surge

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerJeff, Jan 7, 2010.

1. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Four months after saying his Chargers weren't as good as fans thought they would be, San Diego coach Norv Turner has won USA TODAY's NFL Coach of the Year award.
    Turner led the Chargers back from a 2-3 start with 11 straight victories that earned his team a playoff bye. The Chargers, at 13-3, finished just one game behind the Colts for the best record in the NFL.

Turner has led the Chargers to the playoffs in all three of his seasons in San Diego, but said that this year has been his most rewarding.

"I'm not very good at comparing those things, but the biggest thing for me is the job the assistant coaches have done and the number of people we have that have contributed to this team," Turner said. "That part of it is impressive."

Turner received 23 of 66 points from the 11-member panel of USA TODAY football writers and editors. He earned five first-place votes, and edged out Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis (who had four first-place votes) by three points.

The Chargers and Turner were a late arrival into the race for postseason awards. They started 2-3 and were 3½ games behind the Denver Broncos after a home loss to them on Oct. 19.

Many analysts suggested the Chargers were Super Bowl contenders in the preseason. But Turner sent a jolt to his team in December after a Week 2 loss to the Ravens, after a close-call win in the opener at Oakland.

"I don't think right now we're as good as you that cover us think or expect us to be; I don't think we're as good as what our fans want us to be," Turner said. "But I believe we can get there. We've got a lot of work to get there."

His premonition was tested with two losses in the next three games, but the Chargers wouldn't lose another game after their Week 6 defeat to Denver. The Broncos' tailspin eliminated first-half favorite Josh McDaniels from top coach honors. And the late-season slips by the Indianapolis Colts and New Orleans Saints (who combined to lose their last five games after each opening the season 14-0 and 13-0, respectively) helped distinguish the Chargers' surge.

Turner led his team to impressive fourth-quarter comeback victories on the road against the New York Giants and Dallas Cowboys and a Week 15 win against the Cincinnati Bengals that helped solidify a playoff bye.

Winning Coach of the Year honors does not guarantee Turner postseason success, however. Turner still has yet to reach the elite level of NFL coaches who have hoisted the Lombardi Trophy.

That remains an obstacle for him. He has a 4-3 record in postseason play and has never reached the Super Bowl. It's a threshold that the Chargers, who have been to the playoffs in five of the past six years, are hoping to cross.

Lewis' second-place finish is a testament to the turnaround he led in Cincinnati, where the Bengals clinched the AFC North with their first winning record in four years and just their second playoff berth since 1990. He coached the Bengals through the loss of Vikki Zimmer, the wife of defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, and the death of receiver Chris Henry in December.

Caldwell, the third-place finisher, seemed to be cruising to the award when his Colts became just the third team to start a season 14-0. But the controversy surrounding the Colts lifting their starters in the two losses helped douse his candidacy.

Complete voting results:

Norv Turner, San Diego: 23 points (five first-place votes)

Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati: 20 points, (four first-place votes)

Jim Caldwell, Indianapolis: 11 points

Sean Payton, New Orleans: 6 points (one first-place vote)

Mike McCarthy, Green Bay: 3 points (one first-place vote)

Rex Ryan, New York Jets: 2 points

Josh McDaniels, Denver: 1 point

link

2. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Poetic.

3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Nice and deserved. These are always based on the regular season and he did a good job after losing the 2 most important players on the DL(JMal) and OL(Hardwick) in the first game.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Someone's head just went

[​IMG]

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    It's coming Buck.

In February. :lol:

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Don't you know??? Norv hasn't done anything yet. Until he wins the Ultimate goal he'll be nothing but a loser. :unsure:

8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    let's not invite disaster "back by popular demand" guys - pleeeeeeeease :D

let's just talk about how awesome Norvelous is!! woohoo!!

9. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    seconded.

Furthermore, nobody has ever mind-****ed me more than Norv Turner. I'm even starting to consider naming him the greatest coach in the NFL period based on his shrewd way of playing through the season into the post season. But ya know what, if it all ends in a Lombardi or two, then the mind-****ing was all worth it, like an intense orgasm after rough sex...

10. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    WOW, I can't believe how close it was. Lewis was 10-6, but did sweep his division, so he deserved 2nd place. Perhaps Norv will get the NFL coach of the year also??:tup:

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

You just can't wait to be in front of the computer for nights and days talking with a few other posters about me. Can you?

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,422
    Why do you presume a few posts at bolttalk means someone won't be out partying?

It doesn't take more than a few minutes to make a few posts.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Because those few in particular keep saying how they can't wait to shove it in my face.

The thing I find funny is they can't find anything saying I don't want a Chargers Super Bowl win. In fact... they'll find just the opposite.
    Though they will find me saying I don't feel Norv can get the job done. If/when it happens... this is not about Norv, it's about the San Diego Chargers. This is not tennis, golf, bowling, etc.

But if posting about B4L is more fun for them... to each their own.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I'm curious who's the one jackass that voted for Josh McDaniels; was that vote cast back in October?

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Marvin Lewis had no business on this list. Biggest pretender in the entire postseason.

16. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    was it you or N4L that was hoping for like a 6 win season? if it wasnt you, disregard.

17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Actually B4L is the only one I recall posting that he wanted a 3 or 4 win season.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    Not being able to find anything saying someone doesn't want a Chargers Super Bowl win doesn't stop you from accusing someone of not wanting a Chargers Super Bowl win.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    Since when did Marvin Lewis start coaching the Jets?

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Leo. Answer this:

If someone says they want their favorite team to win only 3 or 4 games in a season, isn't that essentially the same as someone saying they don't want their team to win a Superbowl?

This is, of course, a hypothetical question. :lol:

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    No. It only says the person doesn't want them to win it this year.

I highly disagreed with his viewpoint there but I still comprehended what he was getting at.

He isn't the first, nor is he going to be the last fan to prematurely give up on the team. He's just one of very few that came out and said he doesn't want them to win much more (under the now seemingly misconceived presumption that they're not going to win much more either way) to make the power to fix the team (when it seemed to need a lot of fixing) that much stronger.

22. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    OK then.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    But this statement still stands.

I find the statement I quoted in that post hilarious coming from someone who's repeatedly paraded around these forums accusing "the majority of the board" of not wanting the Chargers to win the Super Bowl, even after the poll was posted.

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Stop editing.

I said that I wanted this season to end with 3 or 4 wins BECAUSE THAT WOULD WIPE OUT OUR COACHING SYSTEM AND GIVE US A HIGH DRAFT PICK... THERE FOR, WE'D HAVE A BETTER OPPORTUNITY OF WINNING A SUPER BOWL!!!

You and others said "Norv, Norv, Norv, Norv, Norv, Norv, Norv... a Super Bowl isn't important!!! Norv, Norv, Norv, Norv!!! " :yes:

So you did recall right.
    THE DIFFERENCE IS CHARGERS FANS VS. NORV FANS!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

25. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Wait makes you think a new coach could come in and have as much success as Norv? He's won several playoff games(which they've been in every year since he's been here) which Marty could never do, and he has the highest winning percentage of all Chargers coaches. Coaching changes don't just magically make the team Superbowl bound. So when the coach of my favorite team consistently puts us in position to win(by getting into the playoffs), yes I'm a pretty damn huge fan. Also high draft picks aren't necessarily going to get the best results. How many of our star players are first rounders?

PS: NOBODY EVER SAID THEY DIDN'T WANT TO WIN A SUPERBOWL AND IT WASN'T IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! END OF DISCUSSION, YOU'RE WRONG!

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,422
    But Marty didn't have Keenan McCardell or Chris Chambers in his playoff games so he's forgiven. :lol:

27. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    :icon_wtf:

28. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    but you kinda just jumped ship before the season was over. look whats happened since. thats not fan like in the least bit. and i wouldnt call us "norv fans" i would say more... "patriotism" in a sense, but instead of a country its the team, we love em no matter who the boss.

29. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    I don't see the logic in wanting your team to "tank" the season to get a high draft pick, then automatically assume that ONE player they draft, gets you over the hump winning the Super Bowl. We have a damn good shot winning it all this year, why not want it??? I can't understand if you want the Bolts to win it all, or not win it so they can just get alot of first round picks like the Raiders have been doing...:icon_huh:

30. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You are full of it. A 3 or 4 win season does not get us closer to a SB. No one is a bigger fan of Norv than they are of the Chargers. This notion that somehow a different coaching staff and a high draft pick would equal a SB is laughable. How many teams win SBs the year after winning 3 or 4 games?

• Like Like x 1