1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv Turner

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Heir Coryell, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Heir Coryell

Heir Coryell BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +29
    I know we're over this guy, but I find it aggravating that this guy still is mooned over like he's the greatest thing to ever happen to offenses. After watching the Packers/Vikings game I wanted to puke how they prop him up saying he's a QB guru. Really? Who really thinks Rivers played better under Norv's system? I've heard commentors say how Turner made Witten and Gates' careers because he using the TE so much. Gates was Gates before Turner got here. Turner could never find a way to give rookies playing time in his complicated system while McCoy plugs guys in immediately and gets results....and after what McCoy did with Tebow - why isn't he THE QB guru? Eff Norv....and don't even get me started on his head coaching skills.

• Old x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Release your anger.

3. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Norv Turner can kill two stones with one bird.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    If only you'd stopped there...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Who care about Norv. He is history, no longer a Charger. Credit where it is due we had some good offenses under Norv. But that is gone now and the offense under McCoy looks a bit better. So moving on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Attempting to care about Norv Turner anymore.............

Sorry I just can't.

7. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    The green guy sums it up here:

8. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Another new receptacle for miscellaneous frothing. This will save someone the trouble of bumping the This Team Sucks thread.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
  10. Bramare

Bramare BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    So much emotion and drama over a man. I wish I had been a fan sooner so I could be swept up in the passion. The closest I came to feeling like this was a couple of years ago I had a bottle of '06 Tapiz Black Tears. Soooo aptly named, I thought I was going to cry it was so delicious.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    The guys here don't really go for the sentimental types Bramare. Norv was too kind. Schrottenheimer's militaristic style got the juices flowing for most.

12. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    He did do well for Rivers career, Marty most likely would have handicapped him in power running offense with the down fall of L.T career. Although I believe a great QB like Rivers would shine through eventually, you can't take a Sanchez and turn them into a Manning unless they already of the ingredients to succeed.

13. Bramare

Bramare BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    No, well as I said I probably would be one of the guys too had I been a fan earlier. Drinking my two buck chuck straight from the bottle while calling for Norv to be castrated and they bring Marty's butt back in here.

Seems to me football is a regimental sport. It makes sense a militaristic style would be more appealing. With Mr. McCoy, is it a return to this style?

14. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Not really Bramare. It would be hard for me to envision Norman Schwartzkopf showing up for work wearing a golf visor.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    I live in "Viking Country"...

Prior to the season starting all that was coming out of Viking media sources was how Norv is awesome and going to make the Vikes offense awesome as well.

After last night's pounding the Viking fans don't put any blame on anyone other than Ponder so the coach's, including Turner, get a pass from last night's game.

After one blissful season of being Norv-less he has to go to the Vikes and is mentioned on a daily basis where I live ... at least I am just a bystander as I watch the nightmare begin...

16. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Yikes! I feel sorry for you SayOw.
    Norv gets dumped and ends up in your backyard.

17. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    What's a Norv?

18. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    Norv's a decent guy by all accounts, although he does seem place blame on others and not account for it himself. My biggest gripe is simply that I believe his offense is at least 15 years past it's expiration date. River's played that system about as well as I think it can be played in the modern NFL, but it's still falls flat.

I just resent Rivers playing in a system like that versus the one he's in now, because he was born for this offense. The original Marino comparisons of Rivers were spot on, he just wasn't in the right offense.

The only positive of Norv's tenure now is, I believe that system helped Rivers become a better overall thrower. He can make pretty much every throw, deep, intermediate and short. All those deep passes under Norv make him even harder to defend now that's he able to use the whole field in a modern NFL system. He wasn't a great deep ball thrower in college but became the most accurate deep ball thrower in the NFL under Norv.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  19. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I know it's sacreligious to defend Norval here but I don't think Vince Lombardi could do anything with Christian Ponder

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    MARTY! MARTY! MARTY!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  21. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,731
    beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  22. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Because it's an established storyline. Once something becomes an established storyline in the NFL, lazy commentators and writers will just pound that into the ground.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    I don't know Sandy: I think most posters here are just really impressed by what Schottenheimer did
    with the Virginia Destroyers (incl. their huge beat-down ['destruction'?] of the Locomotives in the epic championship game) ...
    many aren't even aware that M.S. also served a brief stint with the Chargers football club.

Marty Wins Championship!!.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Oh yeah... where is that thread again.

25. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    ... or the name of that gawd awful QB he insisted on starting at the time?

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    I guess we have adjourned our discussion about defining trolls until the next time we discuss defining trolls.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Only you and a few others seem overly distraught at the definition of what a Troll is, and most of that surrounds your buddy Oz.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Who could have imagined a thread about Norv Turner going south like this?

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Isn't Norv Turner technically the most winningest head coach in Chargers history. The punch shots the guy takes and that note worthy stat slips us all. A.J Smith on the other hand still has alot of supporters on here...umm leave it at that.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Who the hell is supporting AJ Smith here? I don't think I've seen one person support AJ Smith here since two years before he was fired. :roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 1