1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv Turner's Career...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I just thought I'd throw this out there especially in light of those who think the Redskins had a ton of talent in the 90's when he was HC. Just a quick year by year snapshot of Norv's career:

1994- 3-13

Took over a 4-12 team under Ritchie Pettibone.

Offensive leaders- Gus Frerotte- QB, Ricky Ervins- RB, Henry Ellard- WR, Desmond Howard- WR.

1 pro bowler- Ken Harvey- LB

1995- 6-10

Offensive leaders- Gus Frerotte- QB, Terry Allen- RB, Henry Ellard- WR, Michael Westbrook- WR

2 pro-bowlers- Ken Harvey- LB, Brian Mitchell- KR

1996- 9-7

Offensive leaders- Gus Frerotte- QB, Terry Allen- RB, Michael Westbrook- WR, Henry Ellard- WR

4 pro-bowlers- Terry Allen- RB, Gus Frerotte- QB, Ken Harvey- LB, Darrel Green- DB

1997- 8-7-1

Offensive leaders- Gus Frerotte- QB, Terry Allen- RB, Michael Westbrook- WR, Henry Ellard- WR

2 pro-bowlers- Ken Harvey- LB, Darrel Green- DB

1998- 6-10

Offensive leaders- Trent Green- QB, Terry Allen- RB, Michael Westbrook- WR, Leslie Sheppard- WR, Stephen Alexander- TE

0 Pro bowlers

1999- 10-6 + 1 playoff win

Offensive leaders- Brad Johnson- QB, Stephen Davis- RB, Albert Connell- WR, James Thrash- WR, S. Alexander- TE

3 Pro bowlers- Stephen Alexander- TE, Brad Johnson- QB, Tre Johnson- OL

2000- 8-8

Offensive Leaders- Brad Johnson- QB, Stephen Davis- RB, Albert Connell- WR, James Thrash- WR, Stephen Alexander- TE

3 Pro bowlers- Stephen Alexander- TE, Champ Bailey- CB, Marco Coleman- DL

2001- OC San Diego Chargers

Ironically replaced by Marty Schottenheimer in Washington (Marty went 8-8 replacing Norv in Washington)....Then moved on in 2002 when Schottenheimer was hired as HC in San Diego over him as a candidate to replace Mike Riley.

2004- Raiders 5-11

Took over Bill Callahan's 4-12 team with not much left on defense as aging vets left.

Offensive leaders- Kerry Collins- QB, Amos Zeroue- RB, Jerry Porter- WR, Ronald Curry- WR

0 Pro-Bowlers

2005- Raiders 4-12

Offensive leaders- Kerry Collins- QB, LaMont Jordan- RB, Randy Moss- WR, Jerry Porter- WR

1 Pro-bowler- Derrick Burgess- DL

2006- OC San Francisco

Credited with development of Alex Smith and Frank Gore.

2007- San Diego Chargers

Takes over a 14-2 team with 10 pro-bowl players...this time FROM Marty Schottenheimer

Just a final note. Bill Belichek's first 6 years in the league:

1991 Cle- 6-10, 1992 Cle- 7-9, 1993 Cle- 7-9, 1994 Cle- 11-5, 1995- Cle- 5-11, 2000 NE- 5-11.....Final tally 41-55 .427 winning percentage.

Just my opinion, but it looks to me like Norv didnt have much to work with his entire HC career. He had a long tenure in Washington, but he wasn't making the draft picks and they had an aging team in transition most of those years with Gus Frerotte at QB. He also inheriteda pop warner team with the Raiders.

This year will be the truest test of his abilities as HC IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    YEP. If he shits the bed this time around, wrap him in Depends Adult Diapers and ground him for life.

3. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Who You mean Al Davis?

I think he already wears Diapers.

4. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Nice post, Boltergeist. That's some truly awful stuff. I thought I remembered that Gannon was still around for Norv in Oakland, but... nope, just Kerry.

Blech.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    We have the best talent in the league.

It's now or never for Norv.

Give him a chance.

6. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Yeah...I was surprised at just how bad some of the talent was.

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Norv Turner arrives as Mr. Irrelevant. You know, the second to last dude picked in the draft every year.

Norv arrives with the second worst coaching percentage as a head coach ever in the NFL.

Only Norm Van Brocklin has a ******* record taking over as a head coach in the history of the NFL.

At a time this team needs leaders, we get pizza face who is not known as a disciplinarian.

This team needs leaders and is woefully thin at that spot.

When **** like purple lean and pissing in alley ways and getting shot and fighting with the cops and beating up your chick gets the headlines, we are fuc-ked from the inside out.

Where the fuc is LaDainian busting a foot off in someones assss letting them know this may be his last shot ? :icon_evil: This mother fugger better nut up and stop playing the part of the passive pusssy running out of bounds in dealing with his teammmates to save his sawed off asss. :icon_evil:

8. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    LT was likely instrumental in the Norv hiring. He sounded extatic about it.

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    LaTorsha Tomlinson's input counted as well. :lol: Just messin with ya....

A.J. did mention the players did not want to learn new playbooks but the players did not run the show.

Makes sense to bring in someone who knows Cams system (actually Sid Gilman/Coryell's) and Wade System in the 3-4 with Cottrell.

10. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

I believe she goes by Torsha now. ;)

11. piper66

piper66 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I was feeling kinda mad about Norv Turner being selected HC. But after reading some of the input here I feel a lot better. Bringing on Rivera and the others sounds pretty good. Can only hope.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I see Norv letting Clarence Shelmon do his own thing. Turner is there to manage the show without tripping on his own johnson and will act as a mentor if Shelmon shits himself out of the gates. At least Clarence knows this fact and does not have to worry about some new gung-ho prick out to make his mark as the best thing since legalized brothels. :yes:

13. Jamesboltz21

Jamesboltz21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I watched Norv's interview, he sounds like he wants to get us a championship. I know that he was with the raiders but, he really didnt have much to work with there as far as talent goes, here he has plenty so if he does'nt pull something off here, that just proves that AJ has a bad judge of talent and that we sould consider other options for HCs.
    Other than that, I'm good....:tup:

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

So Norv will more or less just be a puppet.
    That might work. I'll talk a puppet over Norv!!!:yes: :lol:

15. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    With the exception of having Trent Green to work with one year at Washington, I'm not sure he had a lot there either .. Gus Frerrote isn't someone that scared a lot of defenses.

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I really like what I saw in Clarence Shelmon that much where I do not think Norv can fuc it up. Norv just needs to keep his hideous mug off the TV to keep the fans happy.

Cottrell is another story and am not real sure on as a DC. Having Rivera there may be just the incentive for Cottrell to not screw up or he gets the shaft and here comes Rivera. I like that heat of lining them up 3 deep and compete.

17. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Heh .. It isn't any worse that seeing Schotty's teeth .. :icon_tease:

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

That's why I'm not as pissed as I was earlier.
    Let me rephrase this... Norv will just be a name as opposed to a puppet because puppets are visual!!!:lol:

19. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Look at it this way; can you think of anyone better to run our offense than Norv Turner?

If the answer is "no," then you must realize the only way to get him here to run our offense was to make him HC. And that makes the sting a little less--at least for me.

20. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Can someone explain the Cotrell hate? The guy will be a smooth transition from Wade...He had a #1 and #3 overall defense on his watch in Buffalo as DC....was a very solid DC with the Jets..who had much less talent than we do now. So what if he didn't do well in Minny with a crappy group of players. He is a good fit for us.

21. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Agreed .. Plus with the addition of Rivera, I see this defense improving.

22. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Everyone's fixated on his defenses in NY and Minny. They are forgetting that he's a 3-4 coordinator, and Herm Edwards and Mike Tice were dictating what kind of defense Cottrell would run. That was one of the knocks on Edwards in NY--he wouldn't give Cottrell what he needed or allow him enough leeway to actually implement the defense he ran in Buffalo.

By far the most similar defense to ours that Cottrell has coached was the defense he coached in Buffalo--and that was a top -10 defense three years running...and a top-3 defense twice.

23. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Bottom line, our coaching staff is better than last year's. I don't get the negativity towards Cottrell. I prefer him over Wade, Turner handling the offense is an upgrade over Cam, I'll take Rivera over Manusky to coach the LB's.

I'm actually starting to get a chubby thinking about 2007. :yes:

24. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272

Exactly. The key is that people need to understand that these moves were made under the assumption that Marty's role in the success of the '06 team was minimal. Norv replaced Cam...not Marty.

25. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I'll admit that I was freaking out this morning, but I am starting to get on board. I always thought that Wade and Cam were being given too much credit, and with the talent on this team, continuity was the most important thing. The Rivera hiring has me really excited about the D, and Norv should be able to keep the O humming. Rivers should take a huge step forward in his progress, and add to all of this another AJ draft that should have two first rounders.

Plus, NO MORE MARTY!!!!

I not quite chub-worthy yet, but the hiring isn't even a day old. I am really starting to warm up to this.

26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Preach it, Brother!!:yes: :tup: :icon_rofl:

27. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Is taht why you told me to fuq and piss off?:icon_sad:

28. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Sorry buddy, I was really pissed at the time, and I hate being called a flip flopper. Even when I flip flop.

Again, apologies.

:kisskiss:

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

To tell you the truth, I'm not that sold on him as an OC either.

I mean what OC couldn't be successful with Aikman, Smith, Irvin, and that monster offensive line?!!!
    Any OC should be successful here too.

He sucks really really bad as HC but hopfully he'll do nothing and let the assistant coaches do that thing.

Norv working with AJ... :kisskiss:

Norv after a loss... :beat:

No playoffs and advancement...

NORV:conc: :2guns:Immediatly (assistant coaches stay)