1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv Turner's Impact on the Chargers' Drafts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]
    Posted Oct 29, 2009

Michael Kranzler reviews Norv Turner's effect on San Diego's recent inability to find impact players during the NFL Draft.

Last week, we explored Chargers GM A.J. Smith's track record in the NFL Draft over the last five years (the article can be found here). But upon further review, I realized that many of the Chargers' successful picks (especially in the early rounds) came pre-2007 a.k.a. when Norv Turner was hired as head coach.

Does Turner really have that much of a say on Smith's drafting decisions? There have been several curious picks since he was hired, and it may be time to evaluate Turner's player scouting skills in light of the last few years' draft blunders

In the 2007 NFL Draft, Turner got off to a rough start to his tenure as head coach with the first round selection of Craig "Buster" Davis, a wide receiver out of LSU.

On talent alone he was a debatable first-rounder, and durability concerns (which have since been confirmed many times over) made him a solid first-day pick who had no business being selected in the first round.

Davis has been a total bust in his time with the Chargers, and is not expected to be retained beyond his rookie contract.

While second-rounder Eric Weddle was a talented player in college, the Chargers may have reached in trading up to pick him so early in the second round. He has seemed to regress in every season since he joined the team, and his potential may have been mis-evaluated during the pre-draft process.

With other wasted picks such as Clemson's Anthony Waters and Iowa's Scott Chandler, the only picks of substance in 2007 were Boise State's Legedu Naanee and Florida's Brandon Siler, role players for much of their careers who are slowly gaining more experience and playing time.

In 2008, the Chargers drafted cornerback Antoine Cason out of Arizona, another good player who was deemed a borderline first-rounder.

But after a solid rookie season at nickelback, Cason was recently demoted from the role, ostensibly because he has not made the progress expected of him by the Chargers coaching staff.

In addition to Cason, the Chargers again traded up to reach for fullback Jacob Hester, who has done little to get the running game on track, along with running back Marcus Thomas and cornerback DeJuan Tribble, neither of whom are in the NFL only a year later.

It is still too early to evaluate Smith and Turner's most recent draft haul, but the results again look like a mixed bag, with Larry English leading the pack as a solid contributor thus far in the season.

Thus far, it seems apparent that A.J. Smith's recent draft struggles have seemed to coincide with his hiring of Norv Turner as head coach of the Chargers.

Since Smith appears to be beyond reluctant to fire Turner despite his struggles at leading one of the most talented rosters in the NFL, at the very least it seems necessary for him to relieve Turner of his power in the decision-making process when it comes to the draft in order to bring in more talent from the college ranks.

Norv Turner may be a "great offensive coordinator," but as a head coach and talent evaluator, he just can't seem to make the right calls.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    What a BS article. Typical for Scouts.com.

AJ and his scouts evaluate the college talent, not Norv. Does Norv have some input? I'm sure he does, but the draft is AJ's baby...... he's the one responsible for building the team and providing the right mix of experience, youth, and depth.

It's too early to make any definitive judgment on those players mentioned anyway. Weddle has played well for the most part, and Cason may've had a set back, but he's still a young player with plenty to learn.

3. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Thats a pretty harsh article.

4. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    AJ asks coaches advice and when they interview. However, the decsion is up to him. His scouts have more of an affect than the coaches. This guy doesn't know how the draft works. Unless the coach is the GM they aren't making the picks, they only put in their opinion.

Fact is Norv would make no decisions on defense. Furthermore AJ the guy who wouldn't let Marty make a pick certainly would let Norv. It is well known AJ is very controlling.

I guess all the Norv Haters will now use this as an excuse.

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I clicked that first link in the article and it took me to Bleacherreport.com.

Then I closed my browser, opened a new one, and came back here immediately.

That's it. That site is full of nonsense and from the few comments so far, it hasn't changed a bit. :lol:

Sorry, Johnny. :bolt:

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Norv has drafted this team to a mediocre 500 team, and that's a fact, no sense denying it !!!

Sincerely

(well, guess :icon_tease: )

7. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    totaaly disagree that Weddle has digressed:tdown:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    The way I think it goes is

Coach tells GM positions/types of players needed
    GM scouts players
    GM and Coach review scouted players to decide who would work
    GM picks with coaches agreement

He kinda ignores AJ's mistakes, which have been discussed regularly here.

There's enough norv blame to go around without having to ignore AJ's screw ups

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Marty and AJ never talked, so how much input from the coach do you think there was before? I'd say zippo. ;)

AJ and Norv get along, so I'm sure Norv has input, but it's not like Norv gives AJ a shopping list and AJ goes out and fills it. It's AJ's job to build the team and have a long range view of how to maintain the talent...... who to draft, who to extend, who to let walk.