1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norval Eugene Turner's Job

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TBF, Nov 18, 2007.

1. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I posted this in another thread...Let me know what you think...

On Norval Eugene...

It takes a very special person to lose 5 games with the team we are putting on the field. Something isn't matching up...A disconnect if you will...

We are 5-5. IMO the only reason Norval will still be our coach tomorrow evening is the fact that the AFC West sucks balls. We can still make it to the playoffs...In fact, we are the front runners in our division. That reason alone gives us a shot the Lombardi...Its a gut shot, but better then nothing at all.

If we were 5-5 and 3 games out of the division lead, Norv would be gone before his presser tomorrow.

IMO, get it done now. Fire him, get us a "new" look and hope for the best.

But, hoping for the best doesn't make the team revenue and in the end, that is what it's all about...Selling tickets, jerseys, hot dogs, beer, pretzels, T-shirts, tickets, foam fingers, beeds, etc...

Its all about money. Making the playoffs and losing in the first round is better then not making it to the post season in the eyes of La Familia Spanos. One playoff game is better then none.

I really think that the Spanos' probably think that Norv is our best shot at winning the west and although they hope for a Lombardi, they know it's all about getting thier, and after this season, they would be happy with that.

TBF

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    So it's Norv's fault McCree can't cover? It's Norv's fault 2 of our best defensive starters are out? It's Norv's fault the o-line can't open holes for LT? It's Norv's fault Philip threw that last pick BEHIND Legoland and right into the defenders arms? It's Norv's fault we keep making drive killing penalties negating first downs?

The only thing I'm willing to put on Norv is the teams lack of focus and fire. But for the player making dumb mistakes, that's on THEM.

This **** is weak.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I don't disagree even a little bit.

But, the player never gets fired. The coachs contract is easier to handle and doesn't hit on the cap...The coach regardless of who's fault it is, gets the ax...

All that being said, there is an obvious disconect that did not exist last year or in the past 6 years...Rivers had a great college football carrer, a great freshman NFL year and now he is a brown steamer.

TBF

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Hows about the lack of imaginative play calling? Run, run, pass, punt? Teams are lining up against the run every first down and Norval keeps calling the same run up the middle play.

Who's fault is that?

5. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Rivers is forcing ****. Can't you see that??? He's trying to make plays, he just needs to settle down and play, quit trying to do it all hmself. I'm more pissed at Mr. MVP sulking on the sidelines w/ his head down.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    O-lines fault. Norv mixed the play calls up today, but WTF do you expect when we get the ball and grand total of 3 times in the first half?!?!

You guys want to tar and feather Norv so badly, so I'll play along. Fire Norv today, then WTF do you do? Let the season play out, it's not over yet.

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am sorry you have a hard time hearing the opinions of others. I think Norv's play calling is stuck in the 80's and is a large part of why we are struggling. You want to give him a free pass, that is fine, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Also, Norv isnt going anywhere for some time. Spanos will not pay Norv to not coach for us. So we better get used to seeing this ****, we have several years of it ahead of us.

8. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Why is the team playing poor? Are they being put into situations that allow them to succeed or fail? From my seats (and I have held off until now to voice my opinion), we lack consistnecy as a team. Individually you can blame players, but players don't get fired. Coaches do. Sometimes, change is good.

I hear your argument RTL...And I don't disagree...In fact, I'm not sure that firing Norv is the right decision ...Firing Norv is the decision that is usually made when a team that is supposed to dominate doesn't...Players don't get the ax, coaches do.

My point was this....If we were 3 games back, Turner would have gotten or would be getting the ax because he couldn't handle the corvette.

TBF

9. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    What showed me something, was the fact that we didn't give up at halftime. The players could have given up on the coaches, down 17-3, but they didn't. They came out and battled against a top five defensive football team, on the road.

10. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    It's gonna be a tough week. :bolt:

11. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    This team has WAY too much talent to be misfiring on ALL cylinders!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148

That is why he won't get fired...We still have a "shot". That shot alone means money for the Spanos family...

It's all about money...If it wasn't then nobody would ever own an NFL Franchise.

TBF

13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I think I may need to state my position just so some of you don't misinterpret my views, so here it is:

I don't like Norv. I was NOT happy when he was hired. I think he's a ****ing putz and his demeanor has infected this team. BUT WE ARE STUCK WITH HIM, AT LEAST UNTIL SEASON'S END. I can't lay ALL the blame on him when I see dudes like Jackson STILL trying to catch with his shoulder pads, or McCree getting PWN3D all over the secondary, or guys making holding penalties, yadda, yadda, yadda. We are losing as a collective group, and ALL deserve the blame, not just Norv.

Rivers is in a slump. Guys are playing with no heart. We have multiple starters out w/ injury. And yet here we are, at 5-5, if the season ended today, WE ARE STILL IN THE PLAYOFFS AS THE AFC WEST CHAMPS.

We still have 6 games to go. It's not over yet. DON'T LOSE FAITH.

14. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288
    The money for the owners doesn't show up until they sell the team, while they are the owners its about prestige :yes:

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You are correct in the fact that there is blame to go around. But a team bing ill prepared and not on the same page points to the coaches IMO.

I will back them, but it is starting to be time to be realistic. We may win the west. I dont see the team I saw playing today making it very far. No defensive production, no offensive consistency. Not good. I would love to eat crow, but I am not seeing a lot of room for hope.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Kinda like having a Jordan rookie card. Sure it may be worth thousands, but only when you sell it.

17. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Yep :yes:

edit:

Wade has Dallas playing pretty well

18. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    i say regardless of our shot at winning the lombardi, aj should fire the stupid whore of a coach that the players dont even like. idk what norv is doing, maybe hes too busy touching toes with art shell or john madden to do something with this FERRARI of a team. it takes a VERY... special... person, for lack of better words, to take a brand spankin new ferrari and turn it into a fkn 88 corolla. hes a douche. i know its not him who plays but it starts with the coach. show some leadership to the team for gods sake. theyre looking up to you for what to do, you cant d*ck around and expect everything to happen for him. fire the whore.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Look, the guantlet was laid down BEFORE the season. Deep into the playoffs or else. If Norv manages to back us into the playoffs then gets owned in the first round, his *** will be grass. I think AJ will play the company card as long as HIS job is secure, but if Norv's failures is threatening AJ's future in SD (and it's beginning to, although IMO, it's not AJ fault Dean didn't pull the trigger on Marty 5 minutes after the Pats game), then I expect Norv and Ted to both be on the chopping block.

• Like Like x 1
  20. skawash

skawash BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Hi everybody!!
    Did you enjoy the game?
    [​IMG]

21. KNSD

KNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Forget playcalling. The head coach sets the tone of the team. The team isn't agressive and it doesn't play with a sense of urgency. That's why he should be let go.

Attitude reflects leadership. The attitude sucks.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117

I don't see Norv being here after this season. As RTL said, let the season play out, but contract or no contract for next season, Norv will be fired if this happens in the playoffs, if we get there. The players are to blame for the lousy play at times, but it all falls on the HC if he is not a good leader.
    Norv is not, he's proven that in his HC career. AJ, and Dean rolled the dice with Norv, and so far it's been snake eyes. We go 5-1 the rest of the way we can finish 10-6, I'll take that, would prefer 11-5, but as a HATER of "prune face" Norv, let the season play out then we can continue the Norv bashing, and I'll be first in line for that.

One last thing, if the O-Line played just a little bit better opening holes for LT, he might get some more touches in these games. Perhaps he would have got 25 carries instead of only 16 with alot more yardage. Just a thought...:icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
  24. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Blaming Spanos for this is a bit moronic. They have shown that they want to win. We've resigned a ton of our core players to long term contracts and have a good GM who is still learning his craft. He's going to make mistakes. God knows we're not the only ones to fall into the Norv trap. Now I'd agree with you if the Spanos did the bare minimum but that hasn't been the case. Calling them out for being only about the money is about as moronic as calling for the head coaches head in the middle of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  25. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    You are 100% right there. How many times wasn't it noted in yesterdays telecast that the Jags were a reflection of their head coach. That nasty attitude rubs off on the players and it's evident this year.

Oh yeah and LT needs to stop whining. I'm starting to wonder if he's a leader at all. Dude needs to stop acting like a little b*tch and start playing for more than 4 plays at a time. Why don't you try to fight for a few extra yards once in a while LT? That might show the rest of the team that you want to win as well.

26. skawash

skawash BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I just got home. I haven't read or heard anything about ole Norv.
    Is he still the head coach of the Bolts?

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :yes:

28. skawash

skawash BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Well there goes my day. There's always tomorrow I guess.