1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norval is coming back next season.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Retired Catholic, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Like it or not, dudes and dudesses, Norval will be back next season after this finish. Especially if we beat the Dolts next week. It's weird how he seems to eat other teams brains after he's left for dead, like, he's the George Romero of the NFL. Even looks the part.

2. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree he will be back...but I don't really like it. With Norv, we will always be mediocre to good...not great. I hope I eat my own words!

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    ok,

No SB this year?

No SB next?

Then he's gouda go.

Unless, of course, the Spanos don't really car about a SB

then Fuk It

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'll be back biotches! Signed, Norval

[​IMG]

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    If we don't win next week he's gone.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Let's just see what happens before guaranteed no?

7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    You got to give him credit for rallying the troops the last 4 weeks. Plus his playcalling has been outstanding.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    The last 4 weeks have been outstanding, and Norv definitely deserves props for it, but 8-8 is 8-8.

Nothing short of a trip to Tampa will redeem Norv in my mind.

9. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    So, he's been saddled with some injured players and a stupid DC (Cottrell) and he's the problem?

Uhh.... no.

The team has scored 149 points in the last 4 games now that players are healthy and the defense decided to show up.

10. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    He has returned. The Slug is back. And yes Norv is showing flashes of brilliance that I think we'll see in the playoffs but really, his playcalling wasn't very good at first and he fails to manage the game well most of the time. His adjustments usually prove to be ineffective and his decisions regarding personell and gameplan are usually complently off. Also he hasn't done a good job of motivating the players and yeah he had injured players to deal with but good head coaches adjust and get things done. Norv didn't and took a team with a legitamate shot at homefield advantage to 4-8 by week 13. He'll probably get to stay and we'll see the same lackluster, slow start again next season. But to give credit where credit is due - Norv got us into the Playoffs. Yes the Broncos had the greatest meltdown in the history of the league but Norv got us these four wins. He gameplanned well, coached well, and called plays well that lead to us sitting here now.

11. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Yes there is still a questionmark about Norv Turners HC abilities. (" He's good offensive coordinator"). But I think the
    franchise players have stepped in (Rivers, LT, Gates) to
    lead the pack. We'll have more Turner years to come, when
    the Chargers play like the last two games. We 'll never see, what a better coach could have get out of this team.
    So adjust not break is the theme of the future: a Lombardi.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Exactly!! We can't depend on our division rivalries to suck every season.

13. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    I had a feeling this would happen to you guys if you made the playoffs.

I really don't think your team can win a Superbowl with that nit wit coaching. For your sakes, I hope I'm wrong.

Good luck against the Wonder Cry-Baby of the NFL next week. He does more commercials than that screamer Billy Mills.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Nothing's for certain yet.

All we've gotten thus far is the usual BS about how his job is safe that any owner or GM is going to say about their HC while the season is ongoing and they haven't made any decisions yet.

Why would AJ Smith say Norv's job is unsafe while he's still coaching his playoff team?

If it was up to me only a trip to Tampa would save his job.

If I had to make an educated guess as to what the Chargers FO will do, I don't think he's saved his job yet but I think he could save it with a win next Saturday.

15. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    If the Chargers offense continues to play like we have the last 2 weeks do we really need to see what a better coach would have done? **** I'm sure we'd love to see the team play like that for an entire season.

Yes he got us into the hole but he also got us out of it and you have to give him credit for that, the team could have easily folded but they didn't, they kept fighting and are now playing their best football in a while.

Now the Colts are a better team so I don't expect a blowout but if we play well we can win that game. Let's hope we do. :abq1:

16. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Norv is 8-0 in the month of december with the Bolts.

If the defense stops Jake Delohmme on the final play of the game in week 1, and Hochuli makes the right call in week 2, we are an easy 10-6

Not to mention a few more questionable defensive blunders by the defense, and Teddy C, and we could be 12-4, or 13-3.

Hardly Norv's fault. Some of the blame, but not quite as much as some people think.

17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Let's not forget who we beat this month.

Now we get to play in the big boy sandbox.

If we tank,

IMO - Norv is not the answer

:unsure:

18. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Accurate. :tup:

After hearing directly [on the radio] from multiple Charger players last week - emphatically saying that Norv was a good coach and had not lost the locker room, I'm a believer.

Jaques Cesaire basically called out everyone [w/out being asked-he interrupted the interview to make the statement], media and fans alike who said Norv was a problem and holding them back and told them it wasn't true and that Norv was a "damn good coach."

Has he made some mistakes this season? Sure! Have the players? Yep! Was Fat Teddy a cancer that has since been removed? You bet!

The boys are playing their best ball when it counts, and saying it woulda/coulda/shoulda been better OR worse is pointless because it's NOT how it all panned out. This team has a fresh start today. Everyone is 0-0 and we're in the play-offs. Despite being without Merriman, Despite being without a healthy LT for most of the season, Despite switching DC's 1/2 way thru the season, Despite playing against the Zebras, Despite 13 off season surgeries to the starting line-up, Despite being 4-8 just four short weeks ago.

This is a team who knows how to handle a challenge and who has a second chance. We just saw how they handled a second chance at the Donkeys, I cannot wait to see how they handle a second chance at the Colts, and [hopefully] the AFCCG.

Like it or not, Norv was at the helm and here we are. In the playoffs AGAIN, ACF West Champs AGAIN. Was it pretty? Nope - but sometimes it means more when you have to fight for it.

19. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    True but lets also look at who the Colts played since beating the Chargers:
    @ Browns: 10-6
    Bengals: 35-3
    Lions: 31-21
    Jaguars: 31-24
    Titans: 23-0

So of their last 5 opponents only 1 had a winning record and they were playing backups.

If you look even deeper the Chargers were in the middle of stretch where they weren't playing very well yet still kept the game close.

The Texans were in a losing streak and it took a enormous **** up by their QB to even give the Colts a shot.

So yea we didn't face the toughest opponents down the stretch but neither did the Colts, but the Colts will be a tough matchup. Sometimes what you need is ****** opponents to get on a roll.

20. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    I know that's not the case in January or February.

I hope that changes for you guys.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    He's 3-2 in January in his career.

22. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm thinking we will make some noise in the playoffs this time around. The Chargers not only finished with four straight, each win was more convincing than the last, without wilting under the pressure of being behind in do or die situations. I don't think we have hit our peak yet.

23. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Norv is 2-1 in January with the Bolts so far...

3-2 in his career as well....

24. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117

More commercials than anyone??? You are talking about Peyton Manning, right... :icon_rofl:

25. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117

Our last 5 games were ALOT tougher than Indy's last 5 games.

Denver (for the title)
    Tampa (playing for a playoff spot)
    Oakland
    Kansas City (the best worst team in the league)
    Atlanta (Playoff team that is 11-5 !!!)

26. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    1) Merriman being out
    2) LT and others being injured
    3) TC being a crappy DC
    4) unlucky bounces and bad officiating

if things go a little different this team is 10-6 easy, maybe 11-5

since Norv hasen't lost this team I'd be ok (not thrilled) but ok to give him one more season, actually 6-8 games, another bad start and bring on Rivera