1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv's offensive play calling...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Sep 10, 2007.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I hope "Mr. Offensive Guru" has something better planned against the Patriots!! That's ALL I have to say!!!

2. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195

He will :yes: Bolts get at least 24 points on the board

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Doesn't the OC call the plays, not the HC? :icon_huh:

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Not in this case. Norv was the one doing the playcalling yesterday. He had the "big laminated card". That usually signifies the playcaller.

He's like Holmgren, Cam Cameron, Shanahan, and Andy Reid. All HC's that do their own playcalling.

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    ok, there you go. Actually now that you say that, I do recall norv holding the big laminated card.

6. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    The Bears defense is no push over, I don't understand why people are so upset with the offense it's not like we were playing the Cards or Chiefs.

We did exactly what we had to do to win against a top defensive unit. Play field position and let the Bears Offense make the mistakes. Now if we do this against the Chiefs in week 3 then I'll start questioning

• Like Like x 2
  7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Not on this team. Norv stated in preseason that he would be calling the offensive plays for the Chargers.

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Norv knew after the first quarter-and-a-half that he would not need to open up the playbook too much. Rex was a key factor in this decision. I wish he would have spread them out and gotten a little more creative, but I mostly had issue with his inability to make a change to the snap count. He should have recognized right away that the Bears' D-linemen knew the cadence. If Philip is making that change on his own, Norv needs to step in and ask him WTF is going on.

Other than that, he played it close to the vest and called all the right plays in the last 10 minutes when it really mattered most.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    First half sucked yes. But they made second half adjustments and the O loosened up the Bears D and scored 14 unanswered points in spite of the blind refs.

What is the problem here?

10. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I seem to recall 32 passes (31 by Rivers, 1 by LT) and about 31 rushes (10 by Turner, 17 by LT, 4 by Neal).

That's a fully balanced offensive attack. It helped to create a 37 to 23 minute differential in possession and aided in wearing down the Bears defense later in the game. :tup:

The Patriots won't know if we're going to be passing the ball more than running it, or vice versa. :tup:

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We all realize that but still, the plays in the first half couldn't have been more predictable!

12. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    OK, what did you want us to do??

• Like Like x 1
  13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    In most cases, you'd be right but wasn't Norv brought here because he's suppose to be an "Offensive Guru?"

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :icon_rofl: ...Chris Henry was a nice touch!

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Was I wrong about the offensive play calling being predictable?
    Isn't Norv suppose to be an "Offensive Guru?"

I would have liked to see something better.
    With all that talent, that's not much to ask.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Are you locking everything on the first half?

Did not the adjustments made at halftime say anything? To me it spoke volumes. Winning coaches make the right half time adjustments. That is what the man your bashing with "Offensive Guru" did. We won with 14 unanswered half time points.

Also perhaps, just perhaps he is an "Offensive Guru" as he was able to get the O going and score 14 points WITHOUT an effective running game. Think on that a bit.

17. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    How many catches do you think he'll have tonight? How many times will Carson throw it to him tonight?

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    But you also have to realize the situation did not dictate throwing the book at this defense. The Bears' offense wasn't posing much of a threat. No need to get all pass happy early on and give the game away. Still, the offense took some shots downfield... it just didn't work out.

Don't yank Norv's "Guru" membership just yet. There was no need for him to illustrate his Yoda-like powers yesterday.

19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yeah... he's better at a lot of things... but playing football ain't one of 'em.

You're fuggin' delusional.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    C'mon guys don't get this thread closed for personal attacks...:tdown:

21. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Notice that it's almost always the same person that's at the center of the storm? :unsure:

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yes I do, but we must rise above it I guess....:icon_shrug:

23. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    It's hard to when that person makes inane comments and then wonders why he gets all this crap laid on him by a dozen posters.

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I know, but less and less are getting threads closed because of the trends. I have a poster on ignore rather than fight with them. His takes are not worth my time so I don't bother with them.

25. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    All I have to say is that for the first 14 plays, LT's number was called 10 times. Chicago's game plan was to take LT out of it. And they succeeded in doing just that.

26. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    leisure knows I don't have any hate for him. He's delusional in a leisure sort of way. It's a term of affection.

I mean, kinda' weird to say that a guy who isn't even an NFL player is better than any of our starting WRs. Right? :icon_shrug: