1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Norv's play calling at the end of the FIRST Half

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chargers-Superhero, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I don't get it. I was following the game online since it wasn't on tv, and after getting that Fumble recovery we have the ball with 1:58 left on our own 20. Norv runs Sproles 3 straight times, then Punts??? Then after Cro getting an INT off Orton, we have the ball back at our own 42 with 19 seconds left AND a timeout left.

Why the F**K didn't he try to get another score on the board. He just ran Tomlinson to run out the clock. Come on Norv, that was Bulls*it. It appeared to me he was content with going into the locker room up 13-0 at 1:58 left. He blew 2 opportunities the try to get another score. Anybody else would have tried for another score, but not Norv. I just don't get that whole last 1:58 in the first half.:icon_shrug:

2. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
  3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    we were up 13-0. got a lucky turnover and Norv thought enough was enough.

The Donks couldn't stop us. SO why risk a turnover in the last 1:50 and give momentum back to the Donkeys?

:icon_shrug:

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    One word, scoreboard. We had a 13 point lead on the road. We were getting the ball first in the 2nd half. Why risk a momentum shifting play? If Rivers gets stripped or throws a couple incomplete, then the Donks have time to score before the half. No reason to risk it. 32-3 would suggest that his decision was the right one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Why risk a turnover?? Have you no confidence in Rivers and the passing game :icon_shrug: A 13-0 lead gave us a little cushin to at least try to get a FG before the half. Norv got too conservative with a 13-0 lead, especially in the 2nd quarter. He can't do things like that if we play the Colts, or Patriots in the playoffs.

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    I was wondering about the play calls too. But, as we all know, weird **** just happens in Denver. Norv knows that. We also got the ball first in the 2nd half. Made sense just to play it conservatively.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Norv was definitely playing it safe later in that first half. Wasn't a smart idea but then again that was about the ONLY real complaint i had

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I didn't like the conservative play call at the end of the first hale either. We could have scored and placed that last nail in their coffin.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Couldn't agree more. This team takes on the personality of Norv, and Norv's personality is something close to a COWARD. He doesn't have the balls to go away from the "play calling for dummies" book that says avoid taking risks.

Devils advocate says, The Broncos don't exactly have Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

10. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Remeber the pick six Brees threw to Champ Bailey when the Bolts were up 13-0 in Denver a few years ago? They went on to lose that game.

I think Norv's calls in that situation were the right ones. From your own 20 with 1:58 and only one timeout, there's no reason to throw the ball and risk leaving time left for the Broncos. With :19 left and one timeout from your own 40, the odds of scoring before the half were unlikely, seeing as you need 25+ yards in one or two plays. No reason to get greedy. Go to the half up by 13.

On the other side, McDaniels' was far more aggressive, and his aggressiveness basically turned a somewhat close game into a complete laugher. The onside kick was a dubious call, one i'm sure Belichick would have been proud of. That call led to a short field, a Bolts TD and a 17 point lead.

11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :yes:

I can't imagine this board had Norv made the same calls

:lol:

12. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Nice post. :tup:

The "Be Aggressive, B-E Agressive" crowd is taking their lumps over the last few weeks.

Belichick blows 4th and 2.

Now McDaniels goes full moron.

I'm glad to see that the Football Gods can still be offended. I was getting worried after Spygate. :yes:

13. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    It was the right call. I admit I wanted to go downfield, but we didn't have to. Our ball in the 2nd half no need to be hasty.

14. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I liked the first set of run run run. It wasn't like we didn't have a legit shot at getting some yards on those runs. If Sproles makes the tackler miss on 3rd, he would have run for while. I think if he gets the third down, Norv steps on the gas.

I wish he would have taken one shot to get into FG range or better after the Cro INT. But, I don't think that was too big a deal.

15. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Um... we did turn the ball over... on downs.

16. bigcarson50

Ratings:
    +54
    We punted, there is a difference.

17. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    lol no

18. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Really? So the Donkos didn't get the ball back with more than enough time to score?

In the game you were watching did one team have lightning bolts on their helmets the other a picture of a horses head? Because that's the game I'm refering to.

Compelling argument. Pithy, parsimonious while evading any of those annoying logical entaglements usually associated of reasoned thought. (read, "No ****, Sherlock. Care to explain?")

19. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I never said it was a good idea.

:lol:

20. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    Did we go for it on 4th down and fail? No.
    Did we punt on 4th down? Yes.
    Did we turn it over on down? No.

21. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Exactly! Hello people, Norv was pissing me off running LT up the middle all day as well but it worked! Stop hating him and support him. He is now the most winning-est coach we have ever had regardless of what team he inherited. You guys are armchair coaches and that's it. Now is the time for him to prepare these guys for doing all the small things and keeping focus. The goal is the Superbowl at this point. I am not sure if anyone in the league can stop this offense if Rivers has protection. The D is playing well and the guys are TACKLING! Support Norv. He has earned it.

22. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Do you know what the word "pedantic" means? No.

23. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    Irrelevant because you claimed that we turned the ball over on downs. We did not turn the ball over on downs because we punted on 4th down. You are wrong

24. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    LOL! I don't expect you to argue what you can't comprehend.

For anyone else interested... on fourth down the Chargers opted to punt thereby handing the ball over to the other team. The difference between this and not making a first down on an offensively executed 4th down play is the probability of the resulting field position. Either way the Chargers were "turning the ball over" due to downs.

Yes, for those of us who can only parrot the language usage of others it may be a difficult point to comprehend. For the rest of us, I think you get my point within the context of this thread. i.e. For better or for worse, we were putting the fate of the last 1:50 in the hands of the opposing offense rather than "our" offense. Not a horrible decision, IMO but not the best either.

25. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You could not be more full of ****. I guess you are one of those people who is never satisfied, who always thinks he knows better than the professionals. You think this team has the personality of a COWARD? We just played our biggest game of the year, against a divisional rival that beat us a month ago, in a road venue that's recognized as the toughest place to play in the league, and the team absolutely did not flinch. They went out and dominated. I know it's fashionable to downgrade every team we beat, but get serious.

Was it cowardly to call a pitch out to LT/ lateral back to the QB when we were leading 13-3 in the 3rd quarter? I really don't know what you are talking about. Obviously, you are not going to agree with every call the coach makes, but can you at least acknowledge that perhaps he has done something right. We just beat a winning team by 30 freaking points. What more do you whiners want?

26. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    It was not 1:50. It was more like :45. Because we ran the ball instead of throwing incompletions, the Donkos did not have sufficient time to mount a drive. This led Orton into forcing a throw that Cromartie picked. Even with an uncharacteristic short punt by Scifres, the strategy worked. We maintained the momentum and protected a 13 point lead going into the half.

27. bigcarson50

Ratings:
    +54
    I wasn't making an argument.

Turnover on downs is a term that has a strict definition--going for it on fourth down and not converting.

If you don't like the run run run punt play call say so, don't say something that didn't happen.

Would you still be saying the same thing if Sproles had slipped his tackler and ran for a 10+ yard gain?

Running in that situation is not equivalent to not trying to score.

As pointed out earlier there was plenty of time when we punted for the Broncos to score. If there was plenty of time to score for the Broncos, there was plenty of time for us to do so as well if we had converted on third down.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    I wasn't saying that I didn't know what pedantic meant because that seems to be what you took from that. The point is you are saying we turned the ball over, when we punted. So does that mean that every time a team punts they should put another tick into the turnover category? When you're wrong you can't just say "oh well you know what I meant" it doesn't work that way.

29. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    While I don't think it means that Norv is a coward (or "COWARD") I do think his call does define Norv's persona as a coach contrasted to a coach like Bill Bellicheck. (And yes, I think the 4th and 2 was a stupid call) Bellicheck smells blood in the water and goes for the kill while Norv did not. I say "may not" because Norv is more aggressive than some other coaches out there... often not willing to run time off the clock and then voluntarily turn the ball over to the opponent.

Today, I think he made a reasonable call given the dynamics of this particular game but I would have liked to see him make a more earnest attempt at moving the ball with 1:50 left. Our very competant and stingy quarterback had possession. Fate was in our hands. Best to keep it that way.

30. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The Donks got the ball back with a marginal amount of time to score, because the Chargers chose to run the ball instead of throwing the ball and risking a clock stoppage on an incompletion. Because the Donks had a small amount of time in which to try and score, Orton tried to force a pass into Royal and Cromartie picked it off. So the strategy worked. If we'd thrown an incompletion or two and gone three and out, the Donkos would have had more time on the clock, Orton might have been more patient and the Donks might have gotten some points before the half. Even three points by the Donks in that situation would have been monumental. The game really turned on the Donk's failed onside kick attempt in the 3rd quarter. Had they scored some points before the half, I doubt McDaniels would have made such a desperation call. Kudos to Norv for making the calls that led to a 30 point victory on the road in our biggest game of the year.