1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Not AJ's fault if 2012 fails

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by PRiversMVP619, Jun 9, 2012.

1. PRiversMVP619

PRiversMVP619 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I hate to say it because I have been like many who dislike AJ Smith over the last couple of seasons. I have felt that he had great drafts but the last 2 maybe 3 have been the reason towards the Chargers recent decline in talent. BUT I really do think that he did a damn great job this year, he really used the money wisely and brought in great FA talent, had a great draft and if the 2012 season ends with no playoffs it will be more on Norv than AJ.

AJ's job is to bring in the talent which he did, its Norv's to utilize it, its time that Norv gets everyone 100% ready EVERY GAME and if this year doesn't end well I stick by AJ for doing his job well.. I can already hear the angry crowd leading towards my house with pitchforks and crackling torches

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I'm inclined to agree, this might be the best off-season AJ Smith has had since 2004.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    I wholeheartedly agree, but it doesn't change the fact that if this season goes south, it AJ will be out of his job too.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yep, for hiring Norv.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    It's the best offseason in awhile, but not sure it's AJ's doing. Pretty clear that Dean told him to change it up.

6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,410
    I'm also not sure how one decent offseason makes up for multiple bad ones.

Some fans are easy to please, I guess. ;)

7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    The FA acquisitions might make up for the crap drafts but we'll see ....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Mmmmmm .... pudding. :)

Now for the proof.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    It might, and I'm hopeful, but that souffle is still in the oven. ;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Some people can't remember what they had for breakfast, let alone how well or poorly AJ did last offseason.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I disagree - as our GM, AJ Smith has done what is expected of him (keeping our roster stocked with talented players) and we have failed due to conditions beyond his control (injuries, a few holdouts & on occasion, bad coaching) and if we fail again due to any of those factors (it wouldn't be due to holdouts, as all our players are currently signed) then Norv would definitely be gone, but AJ just might survive for another season or two.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm not so certain that they CAN'T remember. Some just can't be bothered to use brain cells that are better reserved for pissing/moaning & reality tv.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    There's a hell of a lot of new parts in the box and assembly is required. Christmas Day will soon be upon us and that brand new bicycle will be out in all it's glory for that first test ride. I'm just going to trust that daddy Norv hasn't left any of the nuts and bolts to loose.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +449
    So it's Good that I Hate AJ and think his time as a Charger ended two or three seasons ago!

If he would have cut Nate after the Jet playoff game I would have giving him some more time!

15. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +449
    English, Sammy and Buster Davis, Wihelm :tup:

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Aj has had what, 3 good drafts, including (knock on wood) this last one.

How many years has he been here. If 2012 does not work YES it is on AJ. He hired the staff, he drafted the players, he brought int he cheap free agents etc. One draft does not a career make.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Ditto. I agree he has done just about the best he could with this offseason, but that doesn't erase the bad drafts and the fact we should have had better players on the roster BEFORE this offseason started.

If I make a career threatening mistake(s) at work and I have one chance to fix it, I may do the best damn job I could to fix it, but if it doesn't work out, I'm still toast and its still my fault.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    I might not necessarily agree with only 3 good ones, but I will argue that none, except for maybe 1 where downright terrible.

Also, which are the other 2 years that you think were good?

19. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I enjoy the spin by the anti-A.J. crowd. When he drafts poorly, they don't seem to say "yeah, but he had some good drafts before that." But if he has a good draft we get "yeah, but he sucked before that." Or they credit Dean, even though I would imagine Dean has had input in all of the drafts to at least some degree.

20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Probably 2004 and 2005.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    When did anyone credit Dean for a Chargers draft?......... I must've missed it. ;)

22. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    The book isn't closed just yet on Larry English, and Matt Wilhelm has lasted in the league and now has a Superbowl ring...:whistling:

Every General Manager has their ocasional misses, but very few if any have as many "hits" as AJ does, especially in identifying & bringing in undrafted free agents who turn into really productive players at this level, and in some cases, Pro Bowlers in the NFL.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    Except, AJ isn't the one generally credited for finding those "diamond in the rough" UDFAs, Jimmy Raye is.

24. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    From a post above: "Pretty clear that Dean told him to change it up."

I have also heard it said elsewhere by people who like to b*tch about anything A.J. does bad, and minimize anything he does well. It was Buddy Nix, it was Butler, it was Jimmy Raye, it was his dry cleaner. Contracts are all Ed McGuire. A.J. does absolutely nothing, but if there is some kind of f*ck up, it's all him.

25. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    AJ is the guy at the top, he gets the credit, and takes the blame when warranted - nobody blamed Buddy Nix when he was here or Jimmy Raye now when players we've acquired just don't work out, so we can't really credit these "apprentices" when players we acquire do pan out. To do so would be trying to have it both ways...

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    AJ Smith is in charge, so the buck stops with him. That doesn't mean he's the one tracking those UDFAs down. Jimmy Raye is...... got it?

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    Do you seriously think the GM is the guy scouting all these prospects? What exactly are all these others guys doing on the payroll? Sure, AJ makes the final call on draft day, that doesn't mean he's the one finding these players.

28. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    No sh*t! The point I was trying to make is that for many people when things don't work out, it's all A.J.'s fault. But if something good happens, it's Jimmy Raye or Buddy Nix. It's just a bullsh*t way of looking at things by people with an agenda.

29. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +449
    So Matt Wilhelm has a ring = AJ is doing his job???

Wilhelm gets cut by the chargers, eagles, 49res then gets a ring with the packers makes him a good pick! lol :roflmao:

The funny thing is Wilhelm has a ring and AJ is still .........
    [​IMG]

PS, Could you list all those hits for me!

30. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    No, I don't - AJ is a former scout, and some of his draft picks & UFA acquisitions have really worked out, so I give him credit for having an eye for talent. He may not "find" every single player who we eventually end up with, but I don't believe that he doesn't find any of them at all.
    Concur, well said! :tup: